2017 western Kentucky meet -- Sat., Nov. 4

Started by hbelkins, July 10, 2017, 12:49:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which date would you prefer for a 2017 western Kentucky meet?

Oct. 7
5 (45.5%)
Oct. 14
4 (36.4%)
Oct. 21
5 (45.5%)
Oct. 28
3 (27.3%)
Nov. 4
7 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: July 31, 2017, 12:49:37 PM

hbelkins

After visiting western Kentucky this past weekend to scout for a meet focusing on the Purchase Parkway's conversion to I-69 and the US 68/KY 80 lake bridges, I'm ready to poll for dates. You should be able to select any of the five options.

Lunch would be at Patti's 1880s Settlement at Grand Rivers, from which the tour would start and end. The restaurant is extremely popular there so I will definitely need to reserve space for us and will probably need to have a pretty firm head count a couple of weeks out. I ate there Saturday and it was extremely busy. I'd never eaten there before, but had heard rave reviews from friends, relatives and co-workers. I think there will be something for everyone on the menu there.

I propose six stops and a few other drive-by points of interest on the tour. Total distance is around 130 miles and the driving time, without stops is a little more than 2.5 hours.

The poll will be open until the end of July, at which time I'll decide on a date. My personal preferences are for the Oct. 28 and Nov. 4 dates, as by that time the leaves should be off the trees which will afford better visibility at a couple of the stops.

Hosting this meet means I will put a meet centered on the Portsmouth, Ohio bypass on the back burner. I may do a mini-meet on this late in the year, but more likely next spring.

Looking forward to seeing everyone's comments and date choices on this. With God's blessing, I won't get sick and will actually be able to make it to this meet.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

jpi

Thanks for the info H.B. ( Steph and I also passed through the area on Friday  :bigass:) My best dates are 10/7 and 10/21 however 10/14 is also doable but prefer the 7 and 21.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

hbelkins

A.J. Bertin

This sounds very interesting! There's a chance I'll be able to attend, but there are two other meets happening this fall as well that I'm interested in attending. I may have to choose between this meet and Columbus, but maybe I will be able to attend all three meets. We'll see.

Sam Scholtens and I had the opportunity to explore Paducah for a little bit in May on our way back from the Mississippi meet, and I'd love the opportunity to spend more time in that area. I might be leaning toward this meet if I have to choose between this and Columbus.

The one weekend for me that definitely won't work is Oct. 28, but if the meet is any other weekend, there's a fairly good chance I can make it. My votes were for Oct. 14 and 21.
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on July 10, 2017, 09:00:38 PM
This sounds very interesting! There's a chance I'll be able to attend, but there are two other meets happening this fall as well that I'm interested in attending. I may have to choose between this meet and Columbus, but maybe I will be able to attend all three meets. We'll see.

Sam Scholtens and I had the opportunity to explore Paducah for a little bit in May on our way back from the Mississippi meet, and I'd love the opportunity to spend more time in that area. I might be leaning toward this meet if I have to choose between this and Columbus.

The one weekend for me that definitely won't work is Oct. 28, but if the meet is any other weekend, there's a fairly good chance I can make it. My votes were for Oct. 14 and 21.

All the meet stops are pretty familiar turf for me, even living 5 or so hours away from the area. I would like to take a couple of days and explore the Purchase area more fully. I've seen bits and pieces of it over the years.

US71

That time of year is busy for me so I can only say maybe at this time.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

One thing I like about the recent trend to post tour notes and other information about meets is the ability for people who may not be able to make the actual meet to go out and recreate the meet themselves if they desire. In David's case above, if he is unable to make the meet but still wants to see what will be featured on the tour, maps and notes will be available for use at a future date.

This came in handy when I was unable to attend the meet I'd planned in West Virginia earlier this year. People were able to use the notes and do the tour even with me not there.

tckma

There is a very good chance I will be able to attend this one.  Only one of the weekends is currently unavailable for us, and by that time of year I should have SOME money for travel expenses.

hbelkins

It looks as if Nov. 4 is the winner in this poll, and to be honest, it's the date I preferred because all the leaves should be off the trees by then, making it easier to see some of the Purchase Parkway construction.

I'm not ready to set the Nov. 4 date in stone yet, but that's the likely choice. More to come...

jpi

Well, looks like I may be out if it is 11/4, I have a toy show in Memphis that day then heading up to St Louis for a show the next day.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

My chances of attending this meet are probably less than 50 percent now. My main concern is that I've already got my heart set on going to the Ashtabula OH meet which I believe is taking place the following weekend (Nov. 11). I've been doing a lot of travel that's been taking me away from home multiple weekends in a row, and I need a break from that.

If for whatever reason Ashtabula doesn't happen, that will greatly increase my likelihood of attending this meet.
-A.J. from Michigan

okroads

I'm definitely out if it is November 4, as that is my wife's birthday, and it might not be prudent for me to be away, plus, there is a big football game taking place in our old home state of Oklahoma on that day.

Brandon

This one is one I might just be able to go to, if it's on the last three weekends mentioned.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

hbelkins

The date and time are set.

Saturday, Nov. 4, at 11 a.m. CDT (12 p.m. EDT) at Mr. Bill's Restaurant at Patti's 1880s Settlement at Grand Rivers, Ky.

I realize that there are a few who said they could not make it on Nov. 4, but that date was the winner in the poll. And beyond that, leaves being off the trees is essential for visibility at a couple of the stops.

Facebook event is here.

More information on the venue can be found here and here.

I have reserved space for 15 attendees. If we go over 20, the venue will have to make special accommodations and we will have a limited menu at the restaurant. Therefore I will need an accurate head count a few days before the meet, but I will post the drop-dead date for RSVPs later.

Speaking of which, RSVPs can be made here in this thread or on the Facebook page. I'll also set up an RSVP email address that will work.

Alps

I might go if someone else from the general Northeast area is attending.

US71

Quote from: hbelkins on September 01, 2017, 01:16:16 PM
The date and time are set.

Saturday, Nov. 4, at 11 a.m. CDT (12 p.m. EDT) at Mr. Bill's Restaurant at Patti's 1880s Settlement at Grand Rivers, Ky.

I realize that there are a few who said they could not make it on Nov. 4, but that date was the winner in the poll. And beyond that, leaves being off the trees is essential for visibility at a couple of the stops.

Facebook event is here.

More information on the venue can be found here and here.

I have reserved space for 15 attendees. If we go over 20, the venue will have to make special accommodations and we will have a limited menu at the restaurant. Therefore I will need an accurate head count a few days before the meet, but I will post the drop-dead date for RSVPs later.

Speaking of which, RSVPs can be made here in this thread or on the Facebook page. I'll also set up an RSVP email address that will work.

Mr Bill's? Ohhh nooooooo!
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

hbelkins

Quote from: US71 on September 01, 2017, 05:54:28 PM
Mr Bill's? Ohhh nooooooo!

Yeah, I thought the same thing. My understanding is that him being called that well predates Saturday Night Live.

Mr. Bill's restaurant serves the exact same menu as Patti's 1880s Settlement. So if anyone is hankering to try one of Patti's famous thick pork chops, they'll still be able to at Bill's.

hbelkins

RSVP email address is rsvp@millenniumhwy.net and I would like to have a firm head count of attendees by Oct. 31.

tckma

I will tentatively RSVP "yes" for myself and my wife -- and will be able to certainly give you a definite yes/no by Halloween.  We have been discussing this for a while and may turn it into a vacation with this meet as one of our activities.  A few years ago we drove through Kentucky on the way to St. Louis and stayed overnight, but we had a timeline, and thus we were only able to stop for a meal and visit the gift shop at the Maker's Mark distillery.  We'd like to tour some more of the KY Bourbon Trail and other touristy things in the state, when we actually have the time to do so.

My wife is completely vegetarian and it doesn't look like Mr. Bill's has (many) options for her -- I've sent her a link to the menu but it may turn out that she eats somewhere else and either just comes to the restaurant for the social aspect or pulls a Corridor H and stays in the car with the dogs. :)  I'll eat almost anything, so if the pork chops are so world-famous, it sounds like I will have to try one.

hbelkins

Quote from: tckma on September 14, 2017, 11:23:05 AM

My wife is completely vegetarian and it doesn't look like Mr. Bill's has (many) options for her -- I've sent her a link to the menu but it may turn out that she eats somewhere else and either just comes to the restaurant for the social aspect or pulls a Corridor H and stays in the car with the dogs. :)  I'll eat almost anything, so if the pork chops are so world-famous, it sounds like I will have to try one.

I will need a definite seat count for our tables. If we top 20, we have to deal with group sales and they have a limited menu. And it's possible we won't get a place because they're always busy. When I went to check it out, I would have had to wait for an hour just for a table for one at Patti's, but they were able to get me a seat right away at Bill's (they are adjacent and have the same menu). However, they were very busy even on a nondescript summer Saturday. Not sure how busy they'll be the first Saturday in November -- all the leaves should be gone so there won't be a lot of foliage tourists, and I'd expect fishing season to be pretty much over.

Judging from what I saw the day I was there, one could probably make a meal out of one piece of their pie. They're ginormous.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: hbelkins on September 14, 2017, 02:03:26 PM
I will need a definite seat count for our tables.

How soon will you need the definite count?
-A.J. from Michigan

hbelkins

hbelkins

Just a reminder -- the meet is a month from today. I'll have a definite itinerary posted before too long. There have been a couple of traffic pattern changes along the route, but I don't anticipate they will impact the tour very much.

hbelkins

Meet tour map is available at https://goo.gl/maps/7G6gepMVqTy

There may be a few minor tweaks, but I don't foresee anything substantial.

A.J. Bertin

Great! I'm looking forward to it. Just booked my hotel room in Paducah a few days ago. I'll be driving down Friday and staying in Paducah Friday night and Saturday night... then driving home Sunday. I still haven't fully decided on the route I'll take going down and back, but I want to see if I can minimize my drive time in Indiana, except for grabbing the one county I still need in the southwest corner of that state.
-A.J. from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.