What's your personal choice/recommendation for a starting vechicle?

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, August 03, 2017, 01:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexus73

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 30, 2017, 03:20:30 PM
Quote from: nexus73 on October 30, 2017, 02:44:11 PM
Fair enough, but your original post insinuated that the '96 Panther-platformed vehicles did not have the manifold issue whereas the data you later posted did.

I may still have my original letter at home; I could've sworn such listed models earlier than '96.  Unfortunately (for me), my manifold failed after the listed period.

I was off by a year, so sue me...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

formulanone

Quote from: nexus73 on October 30, 2017, 05:59:15 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on October 30, 2017, 03:20:30 PM
Quote from: nexus73 on October 30, 2017, 02:44:11 PM
Fair enough, but your original post insinuated that the '96 Panther-platformed vehicles did not have the manifold issue whereas the data you later posted did.

I may still have my original letter at home; I could've sworn such listed models earlier than '96.  Unfortunately (for me), my manifold failed after the listed period.

I was off by a year, so sue me...LOL!

Rick

Uh guys...15-20 year-old vehicles could have any number of problems. Don't get so fixated on one issue.

Has the original poster driven anything yet? Shown any interest in picking out something?

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on October 31, 2017, 01:31:12 AM
I have a '16 Ford Fusion. Highly recommend.

Odd car for 18. How'd you end up in that?

My bucket list includes a '14 Fusion with a 6-speed manual, but they're rarer than hen's teeth.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on October 31, 2017, 01:57:28 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on October 31, 2017, 01:41:22 AM

Odd that you think it's odd. It does have red stitching on the seats, and a spoiler :-D

This involves a few personal details, but the car is actually my dad's, not mine. I work at the family business, but I hate his schedule and he hates mine  :D So he bought the car and I pay for gas and everything else. Also, I'm just not into cars that much. I could care less, as long as it's American made (we're a Ford family), doesn't resemble a Prius, and gets me from A to B, then I'm good with it. I know that probably sounds weird to say at 18, but it's the honest truth.

It's still a family sedan. Usually kids go for small hatchbacks, something fast, or a cheap old beater. Not a brand new sedan with zero sporting credentials (unless it had the manual, in which case, sign me up!).

That said, none of that matters in light of your second paragraph.

DaBigE

This involves a few personal details, but the car is actually my dad's, not mine. I work at the family business, but I hate his schedule and he hates mine  :D So he bought the car and I pay for gas and everything else. Also, I'm just not into cars that much. I could care less, as long as it's American made (we're a Ford family), doesn't resemble a Prius, and gets me from A to B, then I'm good with it. I know that probably sounds weird to say at 18, but it's the honest truth.

North American made? For the majority of it's life, the Fusion has been built in Mexico.

Quote from: jakeroot on October 31, 2017, 02:14:45 AM
It's still a family sedan. Usually kids go for small hatchbacks, something fast, or a cheap old beater. Not a brand new sedan with zero sporting credentials (unless it had the manual, in which case, sign me up!).

My first car was a 1st-gen Focus sedan...nothing sporty about it, other than one of the rare ones with 4-wheel disc brakes and heated front seats (cloth). It did have a factory spoiler, but it hardly made the car any more sporty, imo.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: DaBigE on October 31, 2017, 10:10:46 AM

North American made? For the majority of it's life, the Fusion has been built in Mexico.

Quote from: jakeroot on October 31, 2017, 02:14:45 AM

My first car was a 1st-gen Focus sedan...nothing sporty about it, other than one of the rare ones with 4-wheel disc brakes and heated front seats (cloth). It did have a factory spoiler, but it hardly made the car any more sporty, imo.

He could be possibly just referring to it being made by an American company.  My Grandfather was big on pushing GM cars despite a lot of the parts content being decidedly non-American.  Really I think he just wanted to make sure his pension fund was plenty healthy at the end of the day.  There are still a lot of families in the Mid-West that actually buy cars that way.

Takumi

Quote from: DaBigE on October 31, 2017, 10:10:46 AM

Beat me to it. I think some Fusions are still made in the US, though.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jeffandnicole

Odd that you think it's odd. It does have red stitching on the seats, and a spoiler :-D

Then you'll want a Toyota or Honda.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/06/29/survey-top-made--usa-cars-toyota-honda/86510052/

People make the mistake of saying they want an American car.  What they really want is a car from a company whose headquarters are in the US.  They'll say this while they wearing clothing made overseas and holding a cell phone made overseas, with the first thing they do when they get in the car is mount their foreign-made GPS to the windshield.  Their first fuelup will be from a gas station where the fuel was shipped in from overseas.

formulanone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 31, 2017, 01:08:24 PM

Then you'll want a Toyota or Honda.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2016/06/29/survey-top-made--usa-cars-toyota-honda/86510052/

People make the mistake of saying they want an American car.  What they really want is a car from a company whose headquarters are in the US.  They'll say this while they wearing clothing made overseas and holding a cell phone made overseas, with the first thing they do when they get in the car is mount their foreign-made GPS to the windshield.  Their first fuelup will be from a gas station where the fuel was shipped in from overseas.

Ironically, most Fusions are hecho en méxico.

In the world of the four-door affordable mid-sized sedan, it's in the upper half (Passat and Mazda 6 are nicer drives all-around).

jakeroot

The new Fusion is largely based on the previous European Mondeo, and was designed in Germany. Same with the Focus and Fiesta. The most recent "refresh" was updated by Ford of North America, but the underlying car is still the same as before.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 31, 2017, 01:08:24 PMPeople make the mistake of saying they want an American car.  What they really want is a car from a company whose headquarters are in the US.
In the eyes of the EPA & the Federal Trade Commission; what makes a vehicle domestic is not dependent on where the company's headquartered in and/or where the vehicle is assembled, but rather where the parts originated from.

If a vehicle has less than 75% of its parts manufactured in the USA; it's considered an import (according to the EPA classification standards) regardless of it being a domestic brand and/or being assembled in the USA.

To the OP (webny99), what engine does your Fusion have?  Does it have the standard controls (base S & SE models had these) or the MyTouch (higher trim levels)?  The '16 model was the final year for the traditional gear shift on the Fusion; the 2017s use a knob en lieu of a shift.

I rented a couple of late model Fusions; a 2016 w/the Ecoboost last year & a 2017 Hybrid model (those at the recent Columbus meet saw & rode in that).  Neither was a bad vehicle.  While the battery of the Hybrid model reduces the trunk space; the rear seats still fold down should one need the rear seat space for extra cargo room.

Quote from: formulanone on October 31, 2017, 02:55:08 PMIn the world of the four-door affordable mid-sized sedan, it's in the upper half (Passat and Mazda 6 are nicer drives all-around).
While I haven't driven one; I was blown away by how roomy the Passat was (for its size) when I sat in one at last year's Auto Show in Philadelphia.  I also liked the no-nonsense control/instrumentation layout (regardless of whether it was a stripped model or one loaded with all the tech toys).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jakeroot

Quote from: PHLBOS on November 01, 2017, 09:58:34 AM
Quote from: formulanone on October 31, 2017, 02:55:08 PM
In the world of the four-door affordable mid-sized sedan, it's in the upper half (Passat and Mazda 6 are nicer drives all-around).

While I haven't driven one; I was blown away by how roomy the Passat was (for its size) when I sat in one at last year's Auto Show in Philadelphia.  I also liked the no-nonsense control/instrumentation layout (regardless of whether it was a stripped model or one loaded with all the tech toys).

My primary gripe with the Passat is its age. The Mk-7 Golf, released in North America back in 2015, still has a newer interior. And the 2018 (Mk-7.5) Golf, set to be released in the next few weeks, will have an even newer interior than the Mk-7 models. So, in effect, the Passat interior is now two "generations" behind the Golf (if you want to count the Mk-7 and 7.5 as separate generations). VW really ought to focus more on wagons and SUVs, and stop the Passat NMS crap. Just build the Passat B8 in Mexico, alongside an Alltrack wagon variant, and call it good.

corco

My bucket list includes a '14 Fusion with a 6-speed manual, but they're rarer than hen's teeth.

When I bought my 2015 Golf new in Montana back in March 2015, there was a new manual 2014 Fusion randomly sitting on a lot up in Kalispell. I love my Golf, but part of me really regrets not buying that Fusion.

jakeroot

Quote from: corco on November 01, 2017, 08:04:23 PM

When I bought my 2015 Golf new in Montana back in March 2015, there was a new manual 2014 Fusion randomly sitting on a lot up in Kalispell. I love my Golf, but part of me really regrets not buying that Fusion.

Thinking back, I was in a similar position. I'm sure I could have found an unsold '14 Fusion with the manual if I wanted, but I really wanted a diesel engine, and a hatchback (hence the Golf I have now). Too bad the European Mondeo isn't sold here, with it's 6-speed manual, diesel engine and hatchback body style. I'd buy that in an instant!...

Takumi

I jumped on my manual TSX when I found it in July. The service manager at the Acura dealer said the take rate on the manual on the 2nd generation TSX was about 3%. The 1st gen TSX had it slightly more common.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US71

My first was my mom's old Dodge Dart.  I had a Toyota Tercel at one time, as well as a Chevy Sprint (garbage).

If you have access to Consumer Reports, they can suggest used cars for almost every budget AND tell what trouble spots to watch.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

nexus73

Quote from: US71 on December 10, 2017, 08:25:26 PM
My first was my mom's old Dodge Dart.  I had a Toyota Tercel at one time, as well as a Chevy Sprint (garbage).

If you have access to Consumer Reports, they can suggest used cars for almost every budget AND tell what trouble spots to watch.

Sprints may be garbage but there was a dedicated hypermile hobbyist group that took the 3-cylinder manual transmission model to the limit for MPG's using aero kits.  They got that little car up to 75 MPG, which beats any current hybrid out there.  Not bad for old-school tech and cheap grade quality!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jakeroot on November 01, 2017, 08:19:55 PM

Thinking back, I was in a similar position. I'm sure I could have found an unsold '14 Fusion with the manual if I wanted, but I really wanted a diesel engine, and a hatchback (hence the Golf I have now). Too bad the European Mondeo isn't sold here, with it's 6-speed manual, diesel engine and hatchback body style.
Given what recently went down w/VW and their diesels sold in the U.S; I don't think we'll be seeing any additional new diesel-powered car offerings in the U.S. market anytime soon.

Regarding manuals: aside from sports/sporty/muscle cars & maybe some bare-bones economy cars, the manual transmission is pretty much dead in the mainstream US car market now.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Takumi

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 11, 2017, 02:13:41 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on November 01, 2017, 08:19:55 PM

Thinking back, I was in a similar position. I'm sure I could have found an unsold '14 Fusion with the manual if I wanted, but I really wanted a diesel engine, and a hatchback (hence the Golf I have now). Too bad the European Mondeo isn't sold here, with it's 6-speed manual, diesel engine and hatchback body style.
Given what recently went down w/VW and their diesels sold in the U.S; I don't think we'll be seeing any additional new diesel-powered car offerings in the U.S. market anytime soon.

Regarding manuals: aside from sports/sporty/muscle cars & maybe some bare-bones economy cars, the manual transmission is pretty much dead in the mainstream US car market now.
Regarding diesels, agreed. Both Mazda (with the 6) and Acura (with the TSX) were rumored to be trying to certify their diesels to US standards this decade, but neither were successful. The TSX ended up getting an optional V6 instead, while Mazda is going to start putting the turbocharged 2.5 from the CX-9 in the 6 next year.

Regarding manuals, you're also correct. The market is dwindling for them worldwide, but especially so in the US. The exotic carmakers (Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc) have stopped making them at all, and only a few manual-only cars remain, mostly high-performance trims of mainstream compact cars: the Honda Civic Si and Type R, the Ford Focus ST and RS, and the Subaru STi.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

jakeroot

Quote from: Takumi on December 11, 2017, 03:15:53 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on December 11, 2017, 02:13:41 PM

Regarding diesels, agreed. Both Mazda (with the 6) and Acura (with the TSX) were rumored to be trying to certify their diesels to US standards this decade, but neither were successful. The TSX ended up getting an optional V6 instead, while Mazda is going to start putting the turbocharged 2.5 from the CX-9 in the 6 next year.

Regarding manuals, you're also correct. The market is dwindling for them worldwide, but especially so in the US. The exotic carmakers (Ferrari, Lamborghini, etc) have stopped making them at all, and only a few manual-only cars remain, mostly high-performance trims of mainstream compact cars: the Honda Civic Si and Type R, the Ford Focus ST and RS, and the Subaru STi.

BMW continues to sell their diesel 3-series wagon and sedan, as well as the X5. Chevy sells the Equinox and the Cruze with a diesel (and they are actually on the lot at my local Chevy dealer -- the Cruze is available with a manual+diesel combo with both the hatch and sedan). GMC will sell you a Terrain with a diesel. The new Kia Sorento will come with a diesel, probably not till 2020. Hyundai has a diesel planned for the future. Ford is launching the F-150 with a diesel for the first time in a very long time, and Mazda will eventually offer a diesel with the CX-5. The certification appears to be taking quite a while, though. The new Wrangler will also be offered with a diesel. Jaguar and Land Rover also offer diesels in most of their models (new in the last two years).

Is diesel dead? I don't think it has a long-term future, but it's a proven way to improve fuel economy (short of a 4-banger with a CVT or 9-speed -- bleh), and I don't see it going away until electric vehicles fully take over (and that will take a while, once tax incentives disappear as they become more popular).

As far as the manual transmission, it's not "dead". It's just become relegated to specific categories: base trim models of small sedans, hatches, and some larger vehicles, and top-trim 'hot hatch' vehicles (like those mentioned already). In those categories, I don't think they'll go away for quite some time. They're still cheaper than an autobox.

PHLBOS

Quote from: jakeroot on December 12, 2017, 02:06:48 AMBMW continues to sell their diesel 3-series wagon and sedan, as well as the X5. Chevy sells the Equinox and the Cruze with a diesel (and they are actually on the lot at my local Chevy dealer -- the Cruze is available with a manual+diesel combo with both the hatch and sedan). GMC will sell you a Terrain with a diesel. The new Kia Sorento will come with a diesel, probably not till 2020. Hyundai has a diesel planned for the future. Ford is launching the F-150 with a diesel for the first time in a very long time, and Mazda will eventually offer a diesel with the CX-5. The certification appears to be taking quite a while, though. The new Wrangler will also be offered with a diesel. Jaguar and Land Rover also offer diesels in most of their models (new in the last two years).
Since your profile lists two locations (BC/Tacoma, WA) that are in two separate countries (Canada & US respectively); I have to ask are those above observations for the Canadian or US market?  Keep in mind that cars sold in the Canadian market aren't necessarily subject to the same restrictions as those in the US market; which could explain the wider availability of diesel-powered cars in your area.  The fore-mentioned VW diesel emissions test fiasco, to my knowledge, only involved vehicles sold in the US market and not Canada.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jakeroot

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 12, 2017, 09:46:46 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on December 12, 2017, 02:06:48 AMBMW continues to sell their diesel 3-series wagon and sedan, as well as the X5. Chevy sells the Equinox and the Cruze with a diesel (and they are actually on the lot at my local Chevy dealer -- the Cruze is available with a manual+diesel combo with both the hatch and sedan). GMC will sell you a Terrain with a diesel. The new Kia Sorento will come with a diesel, probably not till 2020. Hyundai has a diesel planned for the future. Ford is launching the F-150 with a diesel for the first time in a very long time, and Mazda will eventually offer a diesel with the CX-5. The certification appears to be taking quite a while, though. The new Wrangler will also be offered with a diesel. Jaguar and Land Rover also offer diesels in most of their models (new in the last two years).

Since your profile lists two locations (BC/Tacoma, WA) that are in two separate countries (Canada & US respectively); I have to ask are those above observations for the Canadian or US market?  Keep in mind that cars sold in the Canadian market aren't necessarily subject to the same restrictions as those in the US market; which could explain the wider availability of diesel-powered cars in your area.  The fore-mentioned VW diesel emissions test fiasco, to my knowledge, only involved vehicles sold in the US market and not Canada.

The US and Canada have the same diesel market, although in BC I actually see more diesels because diesel is cheaper. I'm not aware of any diesel vehicles sold in either country that aren't sold in the other.

Environment Canada generally follows EPA vehicle regulations. When the stop-sale was announced for those VW models in Sep 2015, Environment Canada also issued a stop-sale. A similar lawsuit was brought against Volkswagen Group Canada, with a similar settlement reached.

The only difference between the two markets seems to be the import laws. 15 year old vehicles are eligible for important to Canada, whereas in the US the rule is 25 years. So I see a lot of Skylines, Mitsubishi Delicas, and various other JDM vehicles that haven't quite made their way down south.

Mdcastle

Some people have commented that "once you try a manual you'll never want to drive an auto again".

In reality YMMV. My father liked both the cheapest possible cars he could buy (base model, crank windows, manual one of them didn't even have air conditioning), and manual transmissions. My first car I inherited from him. I did not  mind the manual transmission, but then my sister got her car which was an auto. The first car I bought for myself was an auto and I have zero interest in ever buying a manual car. It might be fun in a sports car on an autobahn, but in a generic car in city traffic it just makes driving suck more than it already does.

With how prevalent autos are in the US it's unlikely you'll encounter "I'm being chased by the mafia and look, there's a car with keys in it sitting there but damn, it's a manual". Or even "I need to drive my drunk friend's manual home from the bar" type scenarios.

kphoger

Quote from: Mdcastle on December 14, 2017, 10:16:59 AM
Some people have commented that "once you try a manual you'll never want to drive an auto again".

In reality YMMV. My father liked both the cheapest possible cars he could buy (base model, crank windows, manual one of them didn't even have air conditioning), and manual transmissions. My first car I inherited from him. I did not  mind the manual transmission, but then my sister got her car which was an auto. The first car I bought for myself was an auto and I have zero interest in ever buying a manual car. It might be fun in a sports car on an autobahn, but in a generic car in city traffic it just makes driving suck more than it already does.

With how prevalent autos are in the US it's unlikely you'll encounter "I'm being chased by the mafia and look, there's a car with keys in it sitting there but damn, it's a manual". Or even "I need to drive my drunk friend's manual home from the bar" type scenarios.

I love driving stick, and I wish I had one these days.  But rush hour in a major city can be brutal in a stick.  Creepy-crawling, stop-and-go traffic...  Ick.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

It's funny, I've never had any issues driving a manual in city traffic. If anything, it's my right leg that cramps up from riding the brake so much....and in an automatic you have that weird thing where it rolls forward if you take your foot off the brake while stopped at a red light on a flat road.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.