News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Whats up with all these hurricanes?

Started by Roadgeekteen, September 08, 2017, 11:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

To big hurricanes within one month! What is going on?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

jp the roadgeek

Happens from time to time.  Has to do with ocean currents and water temperatures.  It's happened naturally from the dawn of time.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Max Rockatansky

Bound to happen sooner or later, the last ten years were pretty oddly quiet.

adventurernumber1

These two major hurricanes in close proximity to eachother are tragic and damaging nonetheless, but this is certainly not unheard of. What's going on is simply weather.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

roadman65

Jennifer Lawrence says its Mother Nature getting even  with our nation for electing Donald Trump as POTUS.

I am sure some are blaming Global Warming..... oh wait its now climate change ( I must be politically correct) and some Left Wingers are most likely blaming Bush and Rush Limbaugh for their disbelief in polar ice caps melting.

To each his own in beliefs, but IMO I say it goes in cycles over linear time.  Remember each era in history has its share of something.  However, in 2004 Florida got 3 hurricanes (4 if you include Ivan that hit the Panhandle which never effected the Peninsula like the other 3 did) and before that hardly anything for decades.  Now 13 years later we have Irma with possible more behind her.

When dealing with nature you have to accept the inconsistency of weather and natural events as you will never find the right answer IMHO.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

GaryV

I heard an idiot reporter on the radio asking an expert if the Mexican earthquake was the result of climate change.

roadman65

Quote from: GaryV on September 09, 2017, 06:38:27 AM
I heard an idiot reporter on the radio asking an expert if the Mexican earthquake was the result of climate change.

We live in a very political world, so even nature now is caused because of politics in many minds.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

It is a big unusual that 2 consecutive large hurricanes are hitting the US.  That doesn't happen too often.    Irma has lucked out (as a hurricane) by spinning in open waters without anything impacting it, such as wind sheer, etc.  Large hurricanes usually get hit with something that'll reduce its wind speed and break it up a little.

In the meantime, a guy in my carpool has been "studying" what can be done to these storms, like sending planes over it to drop chemicals into the hurricane to break it up.  He even found something where someone patented an idea, so obviously that has to work.  Why aren't we doing that stuff, he says.  That's what I had to listen to on my commute this week!

english si

Quote from: roadman65 on September 09, 2017, 04:30:14 AMJennifer Lawrence says its Mother Nature getting even  with our nation for electing Donald Trump as POTUS.
Which is just as outlandish, bigoted and idiotic as those blaming it on Houston electing a Lesbian Mayor. The latter are rightly ostracised (and it will haunt them forever), however I doubt JLaw will get anything much beyond some laughter at her for a few days.

1995hoo

One of the TV weathermen–I think it was Al Roker on NBC–said hurricane development is aided by this not being an El Niño year. Something to do with wind shear in El Niño years hampering the development of the really major hurricanes.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hotdogPi

The hurricanes can't be as a punishment for electing Trump, as Irma is hitting the Democratic area of Miami, tilting Florida's balance toward the Republicans.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Desert Man

Normal hurricane season, I mean nature, not politics. From 2006 to 2016, no hurricane landed in the US mainland, although Superstorm Sandy in Oct 2012 was a result of the merger of cyclone with blizzard (which is known to happen a few times in US weather history). 2004 and 2005 were the busiest hurricane seasons, esp for Florida (Wilma the strongest, Katrina's flooding New Orleans and Rita where they had Harvey last month) - total of 10 storms (5 ecah year). Not sure if Irma will make landfall on Miami, but the path crosses Tampa, becomes tropical storm over Jacksonville or Georgia, and finally a depression over Nashville. The Carolinas had Matthew land on their coasts last year, and a tropical depression last week. Florida had TS Emily and Louisiana had TS Cindy. Mexico braces itself for Katia in the northeast, meanwhile a M8.1 earthquake hit their southeast. And southern CA received rain from what was Lidia on Labor day weekend.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

SSOWorld

Quote from: Desert Man on September 09, 2017, 08:51:23 AM
Normal hurricane season, I mean nature, not politics. From 2006 to 2016, no hurricane landed in the US mainland, although Superstorm Sandy in Oct 2012 was a result of the merger of cyclone with blizzard (which is known to happen a few times in US weather history). 2004 and 2005 were the busiest hurricane seasons, esp for Florida (Wilma the strongest, Katrina's flooding New Orleans and Rita where they had Harvey last month) - total of 10 storms (5 ecah year). Not sure if Irma will make landfall on Miami, but the path crosses Tampa, becomes tropical storm over Jacksonville or Georgia, and finally a depression over Nashville. The Carolinas had Matthew land on their coasts last year, and a tropical depression last week. Florida had TS Emily and Louisiana had TS Cindy. Mexico braces itself for Katia in the northeast, meanwhile a M8.1 earthquake hit their southeast. And southern CA received rain from what was Lidia on Labor day weekend.
..and Jose is right behind Irma. But it's fine because there's no way Trump's letting Jose in. :bigass:
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: roadman65 on September 09, 2017, 06:52:18 AM

We live in a very political world, so even nature now is caused because of politics in many minds.

What if climate change is the result of politicians' hot air? :hmmm:

Quote from: SSOWorld on September 09, 2017, 09:23:01 AM
..and Jose is right behind Irma. But it's fine because there's no way Trump's letting Jose in. :bigass:

:-D

formulanone

Quote from: Brandon on September 09, 2017, 12:07:10 AM
Obviously you missed 2005.

It's not like we ran out of names for Atlantic storms and lasted until January 2006...

...oh wait, we did.

berberry

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 09, 2017, 08:35:57 AM
One of the TV weathermen–I think it was Al Roker on NBC–said hurricane development is aided by this not being an El Niño year. Something to do with wind shear in El Niño years hampering the development of the really major hurricanes.

That's exactly right. I haven't heard him say that lately, but I have heard him say it and he went on to say that periods of high tropical cyclone activity, lasting years, tend to cycle with periods of low activity.

In response to some of the other posts in this thread, I haven't heard any serious meteorologists or climate scientists claim that this or any other hurricane is a result of global warming. What I have heard them say is that the intensity and size of tropical cyclones will increase, not the overall number of storms. This is actually the simplest of sciences, something we all learned in junior high school: heat is a form of energy. So when you increase the amount of heat in a system, you increase the amount of energy along with it. That energy is bound to go somewhere. This is why there is no prediction of more storms, just larger and stronger storms.

You can look at satellite pictures of major hurricanes of the past, like Camille and Andrew, and compare them to pictures of Katrina and Irma and you'll see that the strongest storms are getting larger.

berberry

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 08, 2017, 11:34:39 PM
To big hurricanes within one month! What is going on?

That's really not so unusual. 2005 was even more active than this year, with so many named storms they ran out of names and had to resort to naming them with Greek letters.

We've had exceedingly active years for hurricanes as long as we've been keeping records, and I mean records of any kind at all, throughout written history. One famously active season of the rather distant past was the 1780 season, which actually helped the fledgling USA establish itself by driving away would-be invaders. The Great Hurricane of 1780 was the deadliest Atlantic cyclone of all recorded time.

roadman65

Quote from: english si on September 09, 2017, 08:29:19 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 09, 2017, 04:30:14 AMJennifer Lawrence says its Mother Nature getting even  with our nation for electing Donald Trump as POTUS.
Which is just as outlandish, bigoted and idiotic as those blaming it on Houston electing a Lesbian Mayor. The latter are rightly ostracised (and it will haunt them forever), however I doubt JLaw will get anything much beyond some laughter at her for a few days.
Usually news media loves to put a mike in front of celebrities and social media grabs it.  Or in some cases the news media makes a certain celebrity out to be like a spokesperson for one of the two political parties and always airing their outlandish childish remarks noted. 

In general we all have our childish side and politicians and actors are no better.  It just that people feel better when they say the childish stuff that their teachers and parents shamed them into saying out and about and having an audience helps with that.  Heck we have that here on this forum, you have trolls on here who say childish and insulting stuff and when you have some of the other users on here encourage the troll it just makes them feel better and the ego inflates and self worship begins.

Then also you have Rush Limbaugh who says that Clinton (both hubby and wifey) and Obama came into power to want us to be poor so they can be our savior  for us to make them feel important and build up their own egos at the same time.

Bottom line is if you have a following like radio and Hollywood, you can say or do the most dispicable things and be quoted on both regular and social media and be treated as an important figure in the universe for that same response that would get us lay people called names and have the word "Duh" directed to us.

Sheryl Crowe

wxfree

Quote from: berberry on September 09, 2017, 10:08:05 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 09, 2017, 08:35:57 AM

That's exactly right. I haven't heard him say that lately, but I have heard him say it and he went on to say that periods of high tropical cyclone activity, lasting years, tend to cycle with periods of low activity.

In response to some of the other posts in this thread, I haven't heard any serious meteorologists or climate scientists claim that this or any other hurricane is a result of global warming. What I have heard them say is that the intensity and size of tropical cyclones will increase, not the overall number of storms. This is actually the simplest of sciences, something we all learned in junior high school: heat is a form of energy. So when you increase the amount of heat in a system, you increase the amount of energy along with it. That energy is bound to go somewhere. This is why there is no prediction of more storms, just larger and stronger storms.

You can look at satellite pictures of major hurricanes of the past, like Camille and Andrew, and compare them to pictures of Katrina and Irma and you'll see that the strongest storms are getting larger.

I heard a meteorologist say that future storms may be more likely to be monsters, but there may be fewer of them in total, because one larger and stronger storm can replace four smaller and weaker ones doing their job of moving heat around.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Roadgeekteen

Some people are just insane.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

empirestate

formulanone

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 09, 2017, 04:19:06 PM
Some people are just insane.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man becomes king. But it's amazing to me how many folks willingly blind themselves.

kalvado

There is no proven link between earthquakes and any human activity - except for the fact that that highest magnitudes catastrophic ones were weaker during the era of nuclear tests. It could be coincidence, but could be related.
And last NKorean test was strongest one in decades....
OK, now go ahead and blame any politician you want - North Korea is definitely a hot political topic.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.