News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Breezewood

Started by theroadwayone, October 03, 2017, 02:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

In light of the threads about it, is it time we stopped beating a dead horse?

Yes
52 (44.8%)
No
64 (55.2%)

Total Members Voted: 116

Brandon

Quote from: Marf on December 17, 2017, 08:40:26 PM
How is https://imgur.com/a/UaD7Q (Breezewood) not alike https://imgur.com/a/4z01x (I-495 ME) and https://imgur.com/a/t93Wr(I-180)?

I-495 there is just a stub end to a surface street.  I-180 is a 3di surface street "interstate".  Breezewood is unique in that a major 2di interstate (ending in x0) rides on surface streets through traffic lights before becoming a freeway once again.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Marf

Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

Beltway

Quote from: Brandon on December 17, 2017, 08:47:06 PM
Quote from: Marf on December 17, 2017, 08:40:26 PM
How is https://imgur.com/a/UaD7Q (Breezewood) not alike https://imgur.com/a/4z01x (I-495 ME) and https://imgur.com/a/t93Wr(I-180)?
I-495 there is just a stub end to a surface street.  I-180 is a 3di surface street "interstate".  Breezewood is unique in that a major 2di interstate (ending in x0) rides on surface streets through traffic lights before becoming a freeway once again.

It makes many people on these roads boards feel like puking.  Whether the I-70 signs on US-30 really mean that segment is an Interstate route (I don't think it does) can be debated, but the point remains that a major 2di interstate (ending in x0) has a gap that could easily be remediated by building two ramps between I-70 and the Turnpike access highway.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

ColossalBlocks

It's a gap in freeways.
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

TheHighwayMan3561

Breezewood was cool at first, now it's just a lame trope.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Like others have said, the two freeways I-70 uses do not connect, causing it to run wrong-way concurrent with US 30 on a surface street through the crowded business district of Breezewood.  Personally I think it should be rerouted already, I-78 should also be taken off the highly congested surface streets, and I-180 in Wyoming is a complete slap in the face to the system and should be removed.  The other designations on it serve the purpose well enough.

And by the way Marf, awesome song in your signature.  Underrated late-80s classic.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

LM117

Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on December 17, 2017, 08:35:49 PMIt will most likely stay that way because businesses along this gap have thrived from it.

It makes no sense that those businesses bitch every time a direct connection proposal is made. People are still going to have to stop and get gas, grab a bag of Cheetos, and take a piss even if the interchange is built. If hundreds of other towns can survive with having interchanges on their interstates, so can Breezewood.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: LM117 on December 18, 2017, 10:55:27 AM
Quote from: nwi_navigator_1181 on December 17, 2017, 08:35:49 PMIt will most likely stay that way because businesses along this gap have thrived from it.

It makes no sense that those businesses bitch every time a direct connection proposal is made. People are still going to have to stop and get gas, grab a bag of Cheetos, and take a piss even if the interchange is built. If hundreds of other towns can survive with having interchanges on their interstates, so can Breezewood.

Which is true, but nowhere else have I ever seen such an insane amount of stuff crammed onto one short road.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Marf

I wonder how high the property values are down there? Must be some expensive road.
Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

Ian

I think the 13-mile stretch of abandoned Pennsylvania Turnpike makes Breezewood way more interesting than the surface road I-70.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

jeffandnicole

Breezewood is also in the middle of a very populated area of the country, and is traveled quite often (or could be traveled) by many on these forums.

The more likely people here are familiar with it, the more likely it's going to be talked about and referenced more often.

If I-180 were in PA, with a seemingly easy ability to properly upgrade it to a true limited access highway, guaranteed it'll be talked about more often.

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Marf

Huh, guess this thing was moved.  :ded:

roadman65

Quote from: 20160805 on December 18, 2017, 07:27:44 AM
Like others have said, the two freeways I-70 uses do not connect, causing it to run wrong-way concurrent with US 30 on a surface street through the crowded business district of Breezewood.  Personally I think it should be rerouted already, I-78 should also be taken off the highly congested surface streets, and I-180 in Wyoming is a complete slap in the face to the system and should be removed.  The other designations on it serve the purpose well enough.

And by the way Marf, awesome song in your signature.  Underrated late-80s classic.
I-78 is not talked about because it does not link two completed freeway segments at each end.  I-78 could easily be remedied by truncating it to the end of the Turnpike Freeway at Jersey Avenue.  Most non road geeks do not even see it as such anyway, so its not that noticeable. Plus the PANYNJ that maintain the two one ways streets of 12 Street and Boyle Plaza does not sign it that good anyway.  Mostly its on paper, so no one here really gives a damn.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadgeekteen

I think that they won't build an interchange to avoid angering the business owners.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

triplemultiplex

More broadly, we use "Breezewood" as a derogatory term for a place where two freeways (or tollways) that meet without a free-flowing system interchange.

The PA Tpk has lots of "Breezewoods".
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

hbelkins

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 21, 2017, 12:16:33 PM
More broadly, we use "Breezewood" as a derogatory term for a place where two freeways (or tollways) that meet without a free-flowing system interchange.

Personally, I think that is a misuse of the term "Breezewood." Breezewood presents a unique situation, where you have to exit off a numbered freeway and navigate a surface road with traffic signals to stay on the freeway. That's not as egregious as a situation where there is no direct connection between two freeways, and you have to use surface roads to connect from one numbered highway to a different numbered highway. They aren't unique to Pennsylvania. I-71 to US 35 in Ohio is also an example, as is I-81 south to I-88 east.

The lack of an interchange between I-81 and I-76 west of Harrisburg doesn't bother me the way Breezewood does.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on December 21, 2017, 12:55:28 PM

The lack of an interchange between I-81 and I-76 west of Harrisburg doesn't bother me the way Breezewood does.

Bugs the heck out of me.  Driving through truck hell is hell.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Avalanchez71

Henderson KY may just be the next Breezewood for I-69.

Beltway

Quote from: Rothman on December 21, 2017, 01:38:09 PM
Bugs the heck out of me.  Driving through truck hell is hell.

It is a gap in two major Interstate highway movements --
1) Westerly I-76 <==> easterly I-81 and I-78
2) Easterly I-76 <==> westerly I-81

(I am aware that national I-81 is north-south, but the above reflects the orientation in central PA)

I am also aware that there is an all-Interstate alternative that utilizes I-83 and I-283 east of Harrisburg, but it incurs about 10 additional miles and those segments are already overloaded with traffic.  There is probably less delay to use the surface connection at Carlisle.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Rothman

I'd rather say that it's just a gap in the fact that there isn't a direct connection between I-81 and I-76 at all.  Any way you want to go between the two interstates, you have to drive past those major truck stops.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Personally, I think that is a misuse of the term "Breezewood." Breezewood presents a unique situation, where you have to exit off a numbered freeway and navigate a surface road with traffic signals to stay on the freeway. That's not as egregious as a situation where there is no direct connection between two freeways, and you have to use surface roads to connect from one numbered highway to a different numbered highway. They aren't unique to Pennsylvania. I-71 to US 35 in Ohio is also an example, as is I-81 south to I-88 east.

Question.  If one of the I-70s were renumbered (say, for example, Breezewood to Baltimore were I-995), would it bother you less?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on December 21, 2017, 03:25:50 PM

Question.  If one of the I-70s were renumbered (say, for example, Breezewood to Baltimore were I-995), would it bother you less?

Yes.

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on December 21, 2017, 01:52:41 PM
Henderson KY may just be the next Breezewood for I-69.

Not in the least. It would just be a short stretch of surface road between two freeways, just as the short stretch of US 460 in Salyersville, Ky., will be when the Mountain Parkway extension between Salyersville and Prestonsburg is completed. Not a situation where you have to exit the road you're on and drive through a short segment of surface route to reconnect to the freeway.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on December 21, 2017, 03:32:51 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 21, 2017, 03:25:50 PM

Yes.

Second question.  Do you think that's silly?  After all, everything stays physically the same, people still go where they intend to go.  Nothing actually changes except a little number on a little sign.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Beltway

Quote from: Rothman on December 21, 2017, 02:26:30 PM
I'd rather say that it's just a gap in the fact that there isn't a direct connection between I-81 and I-76 at all.  Any way you want to go between the two interstates, you have to drive past those major truck stops.

When you transfer from one Interstate highway to another Interstate highway, it should be a seamless freeway connection, you should not have to use surface roads.

(Robert Coté, 2002)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.