News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

A few suggestions

Started by webny99, October 30, 2017, 11:40:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

I'm going to tread cautiously here... Please respond only with legitimate answers/thoughts related to my questions...

1 Would it be possible to have an option to show 100 replies per page within a thread? 50 is the current maximum, but I often wish 100 would show per page so that I wouldn't have to switch pages so frequently.

2 Would it be possible to allow editing of your own posts directly from the "show posts" page? Currently, if you are viewing your own posts and want to edit one, you have to go into the actual thread, click on it, click modify, then go back, then find your profile again, go to "show posts" again, then go back to whatever page you were on and resume. It's very time consuming, so I thought I'd suggest that direct editing of posts be available from your profile.

adventurernumber1

I am not an expert on these things, but these are just my personal thoughts and theories on this stuff:

Regarding Suggestion # 1, I would think that it is possible that having 100 replies (of one thread) all on one page could potentially cause tremendous problems. The only other forum I frequent anywhere close to the extent of this one is city-data, and I don't have time to check right now, but IIRC, their threads have 15 replies per page (maybe??...someone correct me if I'm wrong and they know). I just don't know if this would be a good idea at all; perhaps things would run slow, or things would load slow, and it would take a tremendous amount of scrolling to see all of the replies.

Also, side note: you said 50 replies per page is the case here, but I am pretty sure it is actually 25 (I think).

Regarding Suggestion # 2, while, yes, it is slightly more time consuming to view your posts, then transport yourself to the thread that that said post was posted in, and then modify it and etc., I don't personally have a problem with this. As a matter of fact, even if this option were enabled, I would most likely still go to the thread and then modify my post most of the time if not every time. It would probably be more convenient for me, because if I were within the thread itself, then I could do things such as insert quotes and more when editing my post. That's just my two cents.

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

adventurernumber1

Quote from: webny99 on October 31, 2017, 12:29:44 AM
Quote from: adventurernumber1 on October 31, 2017, 12:21:03 AM

Also, side note: you said 50 replies per page is the case here, but I am pretty sure it is actually 25 (I think).

The forum default is 25, but you can personally set it for 50 (which I have done).

Oh okay. I actually had no idea that that was an option.
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

freebrickproductions

On #2, you can always open the link to the post in a new tab, assuming you're on a computer.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

rickmastfan67

Quote from: webny99 on October 30, 2017, 11:40:11 PM
I'm going to tread cautiously here... Please respond only with legitimate answers/thoughts related to my questions...

1 Would it be possible to have an option to show 100 replies per page within a thread? 50 is the current maximum, but I often wish 100 would show per page so that I wouldn't have to switch pages so frequently.

2 Would it be possible to allow editing of your own posts directly from the "show posts" page? Currently, if you are viewing your own posts and want to edit one, you have to go into the actual thread, click on it, click modify, then go back, then find your profile again, go to "show posts" again, then go back to whatever page you were on and resume. It's very time consuming, so I thought I'd suggest that direct editing of posts be available from your profile.

1. 50 is the max as others have mentioned.

2. Not possible with SMF.

Rothman

I access this through Tapatalk, which recently got rid of pagination altogether.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 31, 2017, 05:19:21 AM

Is #1 also a limitation of SMF?

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Alps on October 31, 2017, 05:51:14 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 31, 2017, 05:19:21 AM

Is #1 also a limitation of SMF?

I think so, but I could dig around in the settings later just to be sure.

Roadgeekteen

100 is to much and it would be harder to find posts. 25-50 is good.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

froggie

^ That's why you have the option to set it to what you want.  Clearly some members don't have a problem with more posts per page.

1995hoo

There are legitimate reasons why people might want to load fewer pages. A common one may be reading the forum at work and wanting to reduce the number of clicks.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 02, 2017, 07:39:28 AM
There are legitimate reasons why people might want to load fewer pages. A common one may be reading the forum at work and wanting to reduce the number of clicks.

Or perhaps because modern computers and/or browsers can handle far more posts per page nowadays than when forums were at the height of their popularity. :)

1995hoo

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 02, 2017, 02:29:47 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 02, 2017, 07:39:28 AM

Or perhaps because modern computers and/or browsers can handle far more posts per page nowadays than when forums were at the height of their popularity. :)

I didn't intend my comment to imply that I thought the reason I cited was the only reason..... (I don't read the forum at work because my employer blocks this sort of site.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 03, 2017, 03:40:26 PM
I didn't intend my comment to imply that I thought the reason I cited was the only reason..... (I don't read the forum at work because my employer blocks this sort of site.)

Oh, that wasn't what I meant at all. I was merely suggesting the technical reason that I believe to be the limitation. ;-)

I am not an expert on these things, but these are just my personal thoughts and theories on this stuff:

Regarding Suggestion # 1, I would think that it is possible that having 100 replies (of one thread) all on one page could potentially cause tremendous problems. The only other forum I frequent anywhere close to the extent of this one is city-data, and I don't have time to check right now, but IIRC, their threads have 15 replies per page (maybe??...someone correct me if I'm wrong and they know). I just don't know if this would be a good idea at all; perhaps things would run slow, or things would load slow, and it would take a tremendous amount of scrolling to see all of the replies.

Regarding Suggestion # 2, while, yes, it is slightly more time consuming to view your posts, then transport yourself to the thread that that said post was posted in, and then modify it and etc., I don't personally have a problem with this. As a matter of fact, even if this option were enabled, I would most likely still go to the thread and then modify my post most of the time if not every time. It would probably be more convenient for me, because if I were within the thread itself, then I could do things such as insert quotes and more when editing my post. That's just my two cents.

As for City-Data, their default number of posts per page is 10, though in my settings I have it at 20.  Lots of shady characters on that board, though, and I know this from experience (1.5 years posting and ~750 total posts, and another 1.5 years lurking before I joined).  Their "rep" system is something I'm glad this forum doesn't have, personally, and the people seem to be better here as a whole too.  Not to mention that CD has a rule that you're not allowed to discuss moderator actions :rolleyes:

Out of curiosity, though, what forum software does this site use, and can anyone recommend any free forum hosting sites?
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 20160805 on November 14, 2017, 05:50:53 PM
Out of curiosity, though, what forum software does this site use, and can anyone recommend any free forum hosting sites?

Simple Machines. It's at the bottom of every page (including this one), but it's in a spot that most people pay no attention to.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: 1 on November 14, 2017, 06:25:32 PM

Simple Machines. It's at the bottom of every page (including this one), but it's in a spot that most people pay no attention to.

Ah yeah. I have noticed that many times at the bottom of a page (where it says stuff like "Simple Machines" and the Copyright thing), but I never realized exactly what it meant.

As for City-Data, their default number of posts per page is 10, though in my settings I have it at 20.  Lots of shady characters on that board, though, and I know this from experience (1.5 years posting and ~750 total posts, and another 1.5 years lurking before I joined).  Their "rep" system is something I'm glad this forum doesn't have, personally, and the people seem to be better here as a whole too.  Not to mention that CD has a rule that you're not allowed to discuss moderator actions :rolleyes:

Oh really. I haven't even been on city-data enough to have noticed all that.  :wow:

But thanks for the information, and yeah, on there I never really knew what the whole "Reputation" thing was for, but I never cared for it all that much.  :-D

Basically what the reputation feature is used for is so people can give their friends points and jerk each other off.  It's all a popularity contest; if you're popular, you'll have a high rep score even if your posts just add up to "HEIL HITLER!"  If you aren't, it doesn't matter how good your posts are; you'll have a low rep score.  I'm at ~750 posts and ~550 reps, so my ratio is poor, but it could be worse.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.