News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Smallest place with "Next X Exits" sign

Started by GaryV, November 05, 2017, 07:30:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryV

I've seen a thread with the largest value for X.

But this is different.  What small places have a "Next X Exits" sign?

I submit Mackinaw City, MI - there is a sign for "Next 3 Exits" on NB I-75.  The population, not counting tourists, is less than 1000.

Any smaller locations?

briantroutman

It's not exactly the NEXT X EXITS sign you're looking for, but it's related: PennDOT sometimes uses what the MUTCD calls a "Community Interchanges Identification Sign"  (i.e. "Anytown Exits:" ), even in advance of small boroughs and CDPs with only two exits. The smallest example I can think of off-hand is Muncy (larger than your example at about 2,500), but there could be smaller municipalities with such a sign. If there's one at Delaware Water Gap, for example (I'm not sure if there is), that would qualify.

The thread topic put me in mind of a cartoon I saw in an old issue of a major national magazine (like Time) from roughly the late '50s. The issue had a number of puff pieces basically celebrating new highway construction and its positive impact on building a more "modern"  America. Anyway the cartoon showed two businessmen in a car on a busy urban freeway. A sign beside them read something like "Metropolis: NEXT 27 EXITS" . And the one businessman says to the other, "So I was talking to this yokel from a three-exit town..."  As if to say that in the brave, new, auto-centric America, the prominence of a city would be gauged by the number of interchanges it had.

epzik8

I wanted to say Wallace, North Carolina, next 3 exits on I-40, but that's a population of 3,880. Dagnabbit.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

1995hoo

Regarding what briantroutman mentions, there's a sign on northbound I-395 in Washington DC listing "Nationals Park EXITS" and giving three options. I suppose you could argue that a ballpark with a capacity of around 41,000 would or should count as larger than a tiny municipality.

https://goo.gl/maps/Z9sDqUukh4K2  (Link may not go to Street View since I'm using the Google Maps app)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Rothman

...and Unadilla, NY has a population of over 4,000...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

westerninterloper

Smallest in NW Ohio is probably the sign for Rossford, next 4 exits on I-75. Rossford population, 6293 (2010).
Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

hbelkins

In Kentucky, I'd submit Princeton (next 2 exits) on I-69 (former Western Kentucky Parkway) and Clay City (Clay City EXITS -- KY 15/82 and KY 1057, or vice versa, depending on direction of travel) on the Mountain Parkway.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

roadman65

Perry in Florida is not along I-10, but going WB has a Next 2 Exits sign approaching US 221.  Now Perry is not that big (7,017) according to wiki, so I do not know if that is what you mean by small.  However, High Spring along I-75 has a Next 3 Exits sign going north and south and that is over 5300 in population.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Pink Jazz

I remember that Moriarty, NM has "MORIARTY EXITS" signs on I-40. Moriarty only has a population of 1,910.

roadman65

Silver Springs, FL always had a Next Exits sign  on I- 75 along with Ocala for years and now is solo as FDOT gave Ocala its own sequence exit mileage listing sign.    Now Silver Springs is more of an attraction than a city despite it being considered one by the US Post Office.

Sheryl Crowe

US 89

Wells, NV has a Next 2 Exits sign on I-80. Population 1,292. It’s the only city with services for 50 miles on either side of it.

Buffaboy

Deposit, NY on NY-17 (Future I-86 E).

Population: 1,712.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

RobbieL2415

CONNDOT likes to sign the next exits for a town/city right at the town/city line.  I think Union (pop. ~800) has one for its two exits.

jmd41280

Quote from: briantroutman on November 05, 2017, 09:01:52 AM
It’s not exactly the NEXT X EXITS sign you’re looking for, but it’s related: PennDOT sometimes uses what the MUTCD calls a “Community Interchanges Identification Sign” (i.e. “Anytown Exits:”), even in advance of small boroughs and CDPs with only two exits. The smallest example I can think of off-hand is Muncy (larger than your example at about 2,500), but there could be smaller municipalities with such a sign. If there’s one at Delaware Water Gap, for example (I’m not sure if there is), that would qualify.

Not smaller than Muncy, but I remember seeing a sign on I-90 for North East, PA (population 4,294 in 2010).

GSV Link
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

TheHighwayMan3561

Hinckley, MN (1,800) has a "Next 2 Exits" on northbound I-35, though I'm not sure why because you don't really access anything different from the first exit than you do the second one.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

blue.cable82

The 105 freeway's Crenshaw Blvd exit in Inglewood Ca.

LGMS210

hotdogPi

Quote from: blue.cable82 on November 07, 2017, 11:09:04 AM

LGMS210

Inglewood is a large city. You might be misunderstanding the point of this thread.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

blue.cable82

Quote from: 1 on November 07, 2017, 11:11:29 AM
Quote from: blue.cable82 on November 07, 2017, 11:09:04 AM

LGMS210

Inglewood is a large city. You might be misunderstanding the point of this thread.
My bad

LGMS210

mapman1071

Quartzite, AZ on I-10 2 Exits
Permanent Population 3400
Seasonal Population +1.5 Million 

roadman65

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on November 06, 2017, 08:46:39 PM
CONNDOT likes to sign the next exits for a town/city right at the town/city line.  I think Union (pop. ~800) has one for its two exits.
Ontario does that for the QEW.  Lists the city, with its population, and the number of interchanges but not in the Next X Exits though and many cities from Fort Erie to Toronto have large counts, but I mentioned this cause Connecticut is not so unique in this practice.

Sheryl Crowe

ftballfan

Whitmore Lake, MI now has a "Next 3 Exits" sign NB on US-23 south of Exit 50

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.