News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Transcontinental Distance Signs

Started by OCGuy81, November 09, 2017, 12:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

I was trying to compile a list of transcontinental signage after seeing a distance sign to Boston on US 20 in Newport Oregon recently.

Here is a list if ones I know about:

US 20 in Newport Oregon
US 50 in West Sacramento California
US 6 in Bishop California
US 41 has a distance sign to Miami at its northern terminus
US 1 has distance signs on each end, IIRC

I'm sure I'm missing a lot. Doesn't seem like many north-south highways connecting Canada and Mexico have these type of signs.

roadman

Kenmore Square in Boston MA has a transcontinental distance sign for US 20 west.  Only the sign is not on US 20 itself, it's actually on Beacon Street before the junction with US 20.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

OCGuy81

Seems most interstates are without. Trying to think if I 90 I 80 or I 10 have any. :hmmm:

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

index

Interstate 40 in California has a distance sign to Wilmington, North Carolina on its western terminus, and vice versa for its eastern terminus in NC.

These aren't my images.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

kkt

Quote from: OCGuy81 on November 09, 2017, 01:04:37 PM
Seems most interstates are without. Trying to think if I 90 I 80 or I 10 have any. :hmmm:

I-90 in Seattle definitely does not.

I-80 in San Francisco does not, unless it's new.  And that would require Caltrans to commit themselves as to where I-80 begins.

Mapmikey

Throckmorton

Quote from: Mapmikey on November 09, 2017, 05:57:04 PMI-70 Baltimore has one

Interesting. Someone else has posted a pic of this sign but it looks like they have replaced the truss and relocated the sign in the GSV image.

On further investigation this appears to have occurred between 2007 and 2009.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5217136c2cc0bc06f64c4111b2154aa5&topic=21188.0

Giving credit where credit is due, this was put up by theroadwayone.

Proceed with caution

sparker

There used to be a roadside BGS at the beginning of I-10 in Santa Monica labeling that route as the "Christopher Columbus Highway", followed by a separate sign citing the distance to Jacksonville, FL.  Haven't been on that road for 7-8 years; wondering if any SoCal posters know whether either or both are still there.

TheHighwayMan3561

One of the ends of I-40 no longer has the signage because it kept getting stolen and the DOT decided it wasn't worth the headaches anymore.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

LM117

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 09, 2017, 06:47:10 PM
One of the ends of I-40 no longer has the signage because it kept getting stolen and the DOT decided it wasn't worth the headaches anymore.

That would be NC. As much as I hate seeing it gone, I don't blame NCDOT for not wanting to keep wasting money on replacing a sign that keeps getting stolen. It's a shame people couldn't keep their paws off of it. :banghead:
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

westerninterloper

Not quite transcontinental, but ODOT recently installed two signs just south of Toledo Ohio with mileage for cities like Atlanta and Tampa. The I-75 terminus at Miami is not included, though.

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2017/06/05/New-signs-on-I-75-help-steer-drivers-to-faraway-places.html

Nostalgia: Indiana's State Religion

Jim

Quote from: sparker on November 09, 2017, 06:44:16 PM
There used to be a roadside BGS at the beginning of I-10 in Santa Monica labeling that route as the "Christopher Columbus Highway", followed by a separate sign citing the distance to Jacksonville, FL.  Haven't been on that road for 7-8 years; wondering if any SoCal posters know whether either or both are still there.

I'm not a SoCal poster and haven't been there at all in 10 years, but here's what I saw the time I drove the westernmost piece of I-10 on February 19, 2007.  I don't recall a distance to Jax being posted, but I am confident that I would have managed a picture if one existed at that time.

Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

sparker

IIRC, the Jax distance sign was about halfway between the Lincoln Blvd. onramp and the 23rd Street offramp; and the info was on one line; the sign was quite wide but just high enough to handle the wording.  It had been there a long time; definitely a button-copy porcelain type.  I wouldn't be surprised if it were gone; it was close enough to the ocean to attract rust and salt-water degradation.  If indeed long gone, too bad -- LA metro's only claim to this type of "fame"!

OCGuy81

I'd like to see more north-south routes with these.

I-5 needs a mileage sign in Blaine, WA with distance to Tijuana,  for example.

theroadwayone

Quote from: Throckmorton on November 09, 2017, 06:12:28 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on November 09, 2017, 05:57:04 PMI-70 Baltimore has one

Interesting. Someone else has posted a pic of this sign but it looks like they have replaced the truss and relocated the sign in the GSV image.

On further investigation this appears to have occurred between 2007 and 2009.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5217136c2cc0bc06f64c4111b2154aa5&topic=21188.0

Giving credit where credit is due, this was put up by theroadwayone.
Yeah, I did that.

formulanone

Quote from: OCGuy81 on November 09, 2017, 08:49:06 PM
I'd like to see more north-south routes with these.

Copper Harbor, Michigan has one for Miami, Florida - 1990 miles of US 41.

https://www.usends.com/41.html

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: sparker on November 09, 2017, 06:44:16 PM

There hasn't been a mileage sign for Jacksonville since at least 1997.

MNHighwayMan

How in the world does someone get away with stealing a sign as large as that?

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

sparker

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 10, 2017, 08:53:39 PM

How in the world does someone get away with stealing a sign as large as that?

A dark night, a chainsaw and a full-sized cargo van.  I recounted the gist of a similar theft in an earlier post.  It was about 36 years ago during a bachelor party, and the sign was only temporarily useful (one of CA's infamous "Medflies -- don't bring any fruit into this zone" signs).  I think the guy who eventually got the sign (the groom) still has it in his garage!

RobbieL2415

Quote from: OCGuy81 on November 09, 2017, 12:55:09 PM
I was trying to compile a list of transcontinental signage after seeing a distance sign to Boston on US 20 in Newport Oregon recently.

Here is a list if ones I know about:

US 20 in Newport Oregon
US 50 in West Sacramento California
US 6 in Bishop California
US 41 has a distance sign to Miami at its northern terminus
US 1 has distance signs on each end, IIRC

I'm sure I'm missing a lot. Doesn't seem like many north-south highways connecting Canada and Mexico have these type of signs.
There's also signage at the eastern end in Provincetown, MA.

Jmiles32

Quote from: westerninterloper on November 09, 2017, 07:10:30 PM
Not quite transcontinental, but ODOT recently installed two signs just south of Toledo Ohio with mileage for cities like Atlanta and Tampa. The I-75 terminus at Miami is not included, though.

http://www.toledoblade.com/local/2017/06/05/New-signs-on-I-75-help-steer-drivers-to-faraway-places.html
Really like this idea and could totally see something similar in the vicinity of the I-85/I-95 interchange in Petersburg, VA considering its infamous history of using Atlanta and Miami as control cities.
For example on
I-85 southbound:
Durham NC- 128 miles
Charlotte NC- 268 miles
Atlanta- 507 miles

I-95 southbound:
Rocky Mount NC- 103 miles
Savannah- 444 miles
Miami- 921 miles

And I-95 northbound because why not:
Richmond- 24 miles
Washington D.C- 132 miles
Philidelphia- 270 miles
New York- 356 miles
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

roadman65

Quote from: kkt on November 09, 2017, 05:46:36 PM
Quote from: OCGuy81 on November 09, 2017, 01:04:37 PM

I-80 in San Francisco does not, unless it's new.  And that would require Caltrans to commit themselves as to where I-80 begins.

NJ does not nor does it have one for US 30 being that one is the only real coast to coast highway as it ends close to both oceans.

I-10 I do not think has one in CA and in FL for sure and that should as its an interesting route.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

oscar

Quote from: kkt on November 09, 2017, 05:46:36 PM

Nor is there one in Boston, AFAIK. Too bad, as one or both such signs could brag about I-90 being the longest Interstate, or perhaps the world's longest freeway (if you don't nitpick about the toll roads between the Chicago and Cleveland regions).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.