News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Road Sign Theft "Victims"

Started by theroadwayone, November 14, 2017, 08:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota only has one physical MP 420, which is on US 59 near the Canadian border in a very rural area (the US 59 crossing north of Lancaster is so infrequently used that a controversial plan to close the customs station at 4 PM daily has been floated in recent weeks). I'm not sure if enough frat boys go that route to make it a frequent theft target.

US 71 has over 420 miles in Minnesota, but the MP 420 itself falls along its MN 11 duplex where the latter route's mileposts are used.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Scott5114

I met a guy in the geology department at MoDOT who said the most frequently-stolen sign in Missouri was–you guessed it–US 69. Of course, I don't know that a geologist would talk to the sign guys all that much, so take that as you will.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

CNGL-Leudimin

On the same vein I once noticed they had stolen a kmpost 69 (in GSV is there, but it was gone in October 2015).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jemacedo9

There is a Batman Rd south of Allentown PA on PA 29/100 that is placed very high as well, since that one keeps getting stolen.

thenetwork

Not too far north of Ann Arbor, MI, there would be green directional signs to Hell, MI. that were favorite targets of college kids.

MCRoads

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on November 16, 2017, 05:52:59 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 14, 2017, 10:43:08 PM
There's Colorado with Mileposts 419.99 and 68.99 to deter sign thieves.

Oregon was poised to sign the Beltline Highway around Eugene as Oregon 69, to match its hidden highway number. However, before it could be signed in the field, concerns about theft were raised. It was originally proposed to be changed to Oregon 14, but was instead given Oregon 569 instead, making it Oregon's highest signed route number.

As far as mileposts go, I don't think there's a single highway whose mileposts go up to 420, but plenty make it to 69. Some, like on the Sunset Highway, are still there, but it's a bitch to get to. Others, like on I-5 at Sexton Summit (hehe) are attached to the pass sign itself. I'll have to do a rundown of all state highways on GSV and see which ones still exist.

I-5 in Washington used to have a blank milepost at MP 69, but now there are small "6" and "9" stickers placed in both directions. No clue about I-90.

hehe, SEXton summit, i want that
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

vdeane

Others, like on I-5 at Sexton Summit (hehe) are attached to the pass sign itself.
I would think that would make it an even greater target for theft.  At least for that one, anyways.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Otto Yamamoto

Joey Ramone Place at E 2 St and The Bowery. The sign is nearly to the top of the lamppost now.

P00I

mapman1071

Joshua Tree  Paradise Valley, AZ
MP 420 US 89 North of Flagstaff

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: mapman1071 on November 20, 2017, 11:44:26 AM

The worst offender in Arizona was probably US 666. Sign theft part was a huge arguement for getting it renumbered to US 191.  Surprisingly the historic US 66 and 89A signs don't seem to get stolen all that much. 

triplemultiplex

New Mexico has a blank sign at mm 420 on I-25.  Same shape and position as a mile marker, but it's solid white with retroflective paint.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 14, 2017, 10:43:08 PM
There's Colorado with Mileposts 419.99 and 68.99 to deter sign thieves.

Oregon was poised to sign the Beltline Highway around Eugene as Oregon 69, to match its hidden highway number. However, before it could be signed in the field, concerns about theft were raised. It was originally proposed to be changed to Oregon 14, but was instead given Oregon 569 instead, making it Oregon's highest signed route number.

As far as mileposts go, I don't think there's a single highway whose mileposts go up to 420, but plenty make it to 69. Some, like on the Sunset Highway, are still there, but it's a bitch to get to. Others, like on I-5 at Sexton Summit (hehe) are attached to the pass sign itself. I'll have to do a rundown of all state highways on GSV and see which ones still exist.

I-5 in Washington used to have a blank milepost at MP 69, but now there are small "6" and "9" stickers placed in both directions. No clue about I-90.
I assume the thevies of such signs don't like the resulting numbers or they want to show their mom that they found a sign with "420" or "69" on them... :hmmm:
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Finrod

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 20, 2017, 12:10:30 PM
Quote from: mapman1071 on November 20, 2017, 11:44:26 AM

The worst offender in Arizona was probably US 666. Sign theft part was a huge arguement for getting it renumbered to US 191.  Surprisingly the historic US 66 and 89A signs don't seem to get stolen all that much.

Actually, US 666 got renumbered to US 491.  Hence my theory that 491 is the "secretly evil" number.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Finrod on November 28, 2017, 05:02:58 PM

Actually, US 666 got renumbered to US 491.  Hence my theory that 491 is the "secretly evil" number.

Both are correct. US 666 ran from Monticello UT to Douglas AZ via CO and NM, being a North-South route with a East-West number. In 1992 Arizona decided to get rid of its section and extended US 191 (which until then ended in Chambers, not far from where US 666 departed I-40) over it, making it an almost border-to-border route (it did become one five years later when it was extended in MT from Malta to Morgan at the Canadian border). In 2003 the other three states decided to renumber US 666 to US 491, skipping 291 and 391 as they were in use as state routes in at least one state.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

jp the roadgeek

This one in Simsbury, CT was always being stolen

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ColossalBlocks

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 16, 2017, 10:31:51 PM
I met a guy in the geology department at MoDOT who said the most frequently-stolen sign in Missouri was–you guessed it–US 69. Of course, I don't know that a geologist would talk to the sign guys all that much, so take that as you will.

I guess that explains the lack of signage in Kansas City...
I am inactive for a while now my dudes. Good associating with y'all.

US Highways: 36, 49, 61, 412.

Interstates: 22, 24, 44, 55, 57, 59, 72, 74 (West).

jakeroot

I-90 does not have any mile markers for milepost 69. I can find 70 and 68, but no 69. I-82 has an Exit 69, but the milepost is blank, like I-5: https://goo.gl/et4U9u

Finrod

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 29, 2017, 09:01:26 AM
Both are correct. US 666 ran from Monticello UT to Douglas AZ via CO and NM, being a North-South route with a East-West number. In 1992 Arizona decided to get rid of its section and extended US 191 (which until then ended in Chambers, not far from where US 666 departed I-40) over it, making it an almost border-to-border route (it did become one five years later when it was extended in MT from Malta to Morgan at the Canadian border). In 2003 the other three states decided to renumber US 666 to US 491, skipping 291 and 391 as they were in use as state routes in at least one state.

I did not know that.  Thanks for the information.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

kphoger

Quote from: vdeane on November 17, 2017, 12:46:05 PM
Others, like on I-5 at Sexton Summit (hehe) are attached to the pass sign itself.
I would think that would make it an even greater target for theft.  At least for that one, anyways.

Seriously!  What person thought it was a good idea to put "69" right next to "Sex"?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 29, 2017, 09:01:26 AM
Quote from: Finrod on November 28, 2017, 05:02:58 PM

I've seen precisely one US-666 shield (back when it existed).  It was mounted way up on a stoplight arm, where nobody could get to it.  IIRC, that was in Monticello (UT).  When I drove a portion of the highway back then, there were zero reassurance markers left un-stolen in the field.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

doglover44

Why would anyone steel a sign ?

jakeroot

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jakeroot on December 13, 2017, 09:45:14 PM
Quote from: doglover44 on December 13, 2017, 08:51:25 PM
Why would anyone steel a sign ?

Much more durable than wood.

Has better patina than the aluminum stuff too.

epzik8

Quote from: epzik8 on November 16, 2017, 09:23:27 AM
I have one out in the sticks where I live in Harford County, north of Baltimore, that for some reason is a multiple-time victim of theft or damage.
This one just got stolen again this week! Can you believe it!!!
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.