What is the longest bridge you have been on?

Started by Roadgeekteen, November 19, 2017, 01:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

The longest bridge I have been on is the bridge to pei.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

epzik8

I've also been on the Prince Edward Island bridge. The Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel might be mine, at 20-ish miles, unless bridge-tunnels are a category in their own right.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Rothman

Depends on how you define "bridge."

Been on the CBBT, Lake Ponchartrain Causeway, Atchafalaya Basin Bridge, Verrazano Narrows, Golden Gate, Seven Mile Bridge, Sunshine Skyway...whatever.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan3561

Mackinac Bridge (slightly ahead of Chesapeake Bay Bridge)
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

US 89

Quote from: Rothman on November 19, 2017, 11:40:45 AM

It really does. I've also been on the Don Holt Bridge on I-526 near Charleston SC. The interstate is off the ground from US-52/78 all the way to Clements Ferry Rd (a distance of 5.1 miles), crossing the Cooper River in the middle. The question would be whether the part between 52/78 and the river counts as a bridge or as a viaduct (or is there a difference?).

If cases like that don't count, then my longest bridge would be the I-80 San Francisco Bay bridge.

Flint1979

1995hoo

Since in my mind the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel doesn't count as a single bridge due to being broken up by the tunnels, mine would be the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway (northbound; I haven't been on it in the other direction). Since the OP mentioned the Confederation Bridge (which didn't yet exist when I visited PEI, but the Causeway would trump it either way), I assume our answers need not be restricted to the longest single span.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

roadman65

Lake Pontchartrain Causeway NB as that is 24 miles across a single body of water.

The I-10 swamp bridge between Lafayette and Baton Rouge.
The I-10 Lake Pontchartrain Bridge (both old and part of the new when it was first opened to traffic).
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Jardine

Longest span I've crossed is Tacoma Narrows II.   IIRC it's 2800'.

No idea what the longest bridge I've been over is. 

jp the roadgeek

As a passenger: Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel, and the Seven Mile Bridge.

Longest driven: I've driven 5 on this list (Verrazano, GW, Bronx-Whitestone, Delaware Memorial, Walt Whitman).  If you include the whole crossing, it would be the I-10 bridge over Lake Ponchartrain (little over 5 miles).

http://www.roadtraffic-technology.com/features/feature-the-ten-longest-suspension-bridges-in-the-us/
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

formulanone

Lake Ponchatrain Causeway.

Looking it up on Wikipedia, it turns out I've crossed 7 of the 10 longest bridges in America (which I didn't realize until now).

sparker

Let's see:  Mobile Bay, James River, Lake Ponchartrain, Huey Long, I-10 near Laplace (bridge? viaduct? -- hell, it's a structure carrying a road, so I'd call it a bridge!), Verrazano Narrows, Chesapeake Bay, Mackinac, S.F. Bay Bridge, San Mateo Bridge, I-10/Atchafayala River, Coos Bay, Astoria.............i.e., a whole bunch! 

jakeroot

From birth until 2015, the Astoria-Megler Bridge over the Columbia River between Washington and Oregon.

Since 2015, the I-10 Twin Span Bridge between Slidell and New Orleans.

SteveG1988

I-55 Swamp bridge, CBBT (as a passenger), Chesapeake Bay Bridge, I-10 Twin Span in LA, Original TappanZee bridge.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

plain

Quote from: Rothman on November 19, 2017, 11:40:45 AM

Been on the CBBT, Lake Ponchartrain Causeway, Atchafalaya Basin Bridge, Verrazano Narrows, Golden Gate, Seven Mile Bridge, Sunshine Skyway...whatever.

I've been on these as well, except the CA & FL ones (I have yet to visit either of those states). The Ponchartrain wins it for me.
Newark born, Richmond bred

slorydn1

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 19, 2017, 01:33:03 PM
Seven Mile Bridge on US 1. 

Same, as well as the Mackinac Bridge.

I have also been on the CBBT, but I am not counting that for the purposes of this thread.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: formulanone on November 19, 2017, 07:39:00 PM
Lake Ponchatrain Causeway.

Looking it up on Wikipedia, it turns out I've crossed 7 of the 10 longest bridges in America (which I didn't realize until now).

Only three to go.  Well, we now know what you are doing for vacation next summer... :-D

froggie

Related to the comments about how to define "bridge", the following was concluded several years ago on MTR:  if one began on northbound I-310 (LA) north of LA 48 and the Mississippi River, turned west on I-10, then took I-55 to the outskirts of Ponchatoula (or did the reciprochal), then one will have traveled the longest continuous bridge structure in America (and possibly the world) at approximately 38 miles.

(and yes, I've done it, both ways...)

JKRhodes

As a kid I've been over the Mississippi River a couple of times, can't remember the routes. I've also been over the Golden Gate Bridge.

In my adult life, I routinely take AZ Loop 101 north to AZ Loop 202 West in Tempe, a 1.6 mile elevated ride.

I've also been on US 70/183 between Texas and Oklahoma, 1.1 miles.

ghYHZ

The Confederation Bridge.......and I've also walked across twice. (13 km (8 miles)

First time was in June 1997, the day the bridge opened. You were able to take the Ferry over to PEI (they were making their last runs that day).... then walk back. Then again  for the 30th Anniversary of the Terry Fox Run for Cancer Research. The Bridge was closed for 6 hours for the event.  Since the ferries are no longer running for the return trip, I walked to the mid-point then back to New Brunswick. Still 13km but not the same as walking all the way across!

KEVIN_224

I've walked across the Ben Franklin Bridge between Philadelphia and Camden, NJ. I've walked across the Key Bridge between Georgetown (Washington DC) and Rosslyn (Arlington, VA). I walked over both of them in both directions. In a vehicle, I'd say either the Delaware Memorial Bridge, the Tobin Bridge and the old Tappan Zee Bridge.

Rothman

The only Hudson River crossing between the Lincoln Tunnel and the Broad Street Bridge (Waterford) that I haven't been across is the Bear Mountain Bridge.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

MCRoads

All the bridges in Norfolk, the I-10 twin spans in Louisiana, SF Bay Bridge, Golden Gate Bridge, Brooklyn Bridge, and the bridges over the Atchafalaya Basin Swamp..
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

Interstate 69 Fan

I-65 Louisville Bridge (I think it's called the Abraham Lincoln Bridge) or east end, I don't know which is longer  :-/
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.