News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Roads Which Taught You How To Drive

Started by jemacedo9, November 19, 2017, 07:20:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 10, 2018, 01:23:44 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 10, 2018, 12:58:55 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 10, 2018, 07:37:15 AM
Returning to the road test, pretty much everyone at my high school knew what the test route was at the DMV where I took the test. They took you through a trailer park with a 15-mph speed limit to see whether you'd speed. I downshifted into first gear (used my mom's car with an automatic shift) so the engine would help me keep my speed down.

A trailer park, huh?  Did that 15mph speed limit sign even have the force of law behind it?  I don't suppose the instructor would have been impressed by your assertion that you're legally allowed to ignore it, though...

Why would the limit be illegal?

If it was on private property, erected by said private property, then it's powerless.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on January 10, 2018, 02:41:00 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 10, 2018, 01:23:44 PM
Quote from: kphoger on January 10, 2018, 12:58:55 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 10, 2018, 07:37:15 AM
Returning to the road test, pretty much everyone at my high school knew what the test route was at the DMV where I took the test. They took you through a trailer park with a 15-mph speed limit to see whether you'd speed. I downshifted into first gear (used my mom's car with an automatic shift) so the engine would help me keep my speed down.

A trailer park, huh?  Did that 15mph speed limit sign even have the force of law behind it?  I don't suppose the instructor would have been impressed by your assertion that you're legally allowed to ignore it, though...

Why would the limit be illegal?

If it was on private property, erected by said private property, then it's powerless.

However–as we both acknowledged earlier–put yourself in the place of the high-school kid on his 16th birthday who is very eager to get his driver's license and consider whether you would make an issue of such things.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.