Most heavily trucked 2-lane roads

Started by plain, November 20, 2017, 12:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plain

Inspired by the Busiest 2-lane Roads thread, what 2-lane roads comes to mind when it comes to carrying lots of large trucks?

US 60 in Virginia between Bush Gardens and Newport News, and also Ashland/Ashcake Rd (SR 623/666/657) in Hanover County, Va comes to mind for me.

Both of these roads could use at least some passing lanes, if not all out widening, as I have seen some major issues on both because of the trucks.
Newark born, Richmond bred

Max Rockatansky

CA 152 from CA 156 to US 101 is infamous for truck traffic....156 is pretty high up there also.  CA 43 is probably more popular as a trucking route than it is for cars.  A lot of truckers use 43 to either pick up farm loads or just avoid CA 99. 

sparker

CA 58 along a couple of sections:  from the newly-completed Hinkley bypass through Kramer Corners (jct US 395) to east of Boron, and west of Bakersfield to I-5 near Buttonwillow.  Both sections see very high levels of truck traffic, with much of it originating from I-40 directly to the east and US 395, which functions as part of an effective L.A. metro bypass.   Fortunately, it looks like both segments will see bypasses in at least most of our lifetimes -- this is one of those instances where such facilities are fully warranted!

1995hoo

I can think of quite a few segments of the Trans-Canada Highway that probably qualify.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

cbeach40

Quote from: 1995hoo on November 20, 2017, 03:06:37 PM
I can think of quite a few segments of the Trans-Canada Highway that probably qualify.

The truck percentage on the two lane portions may be high, but generally speaking the overall volumes are incredibly low.
For SW Ontario, the busiest two lane highway for trucks is Hwy 6 at Puslinch, taking about 3050 trucks per day. Roughly 12% of the total volume.

Not sure about the other regions without some more in-depth research, but I'd imagine few are any more since most busier roads are four lane highways or full freeways.
and waterrrrrrr!

1995hoo

Yeah, I was thinking in terms of percentage rather than raw numbers.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jemacedo9

In Western NY:  NY 63 between Batavia and I-390 as a shunpike to the Thruway

In SE PA:  PA 41 for it's entire length, and then US 30 from there to the 4-lane section east of Lancaster

In NE PA:  US 11 and PA 147 in the Sunbury/Northumberland area, at least until the CSVT is completed. However, PA 147 in Northumberland Borough is closed for reconstruction so I think that forces trucks to stay on US 15 north of Shamokin Dam. 
Also, I think PA 54 south of I-80 has a fair amount of truck traffic.

In NW PA:  US 219 north of I-80?

Rothman

NY 63 isn't only because of the shunpike, but also because I-390 bends back east, which Buffalo-bound trucks deem to be inconvenient.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

gilpdawg

The two lane segment of US 35 in West Virginia.

iPad

jp the roadgeek

NJ 31 between I-95 (future I-295) and US 202 is very heavily trucked due to the Somerset Freeway having never been built.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

sparker

If you're talking about percentages of truck traffic relative to overall volume on a 2-lane highway, US 97 -- from Weed, CA north to at least the OR 58 junction near Chemult, but also probably all the way north to Bend and/or Redmond, would certainly qualify; it's the route of choice from the vast pine and fir forests near and east of the Cascade ridgeline to lumber-processing facilities in Weed, Klamath Falls, and Bend & Redmond; some of it goes over the hill on OR 58 to Eugene and Springfield.  As more restrictions are placed on harvesting the old-growth forests on the west Cascade slope and on the Coast and Umpqua mountains, this traffic, from major lumber producers such as Georgia Pacific and Weyerhaeuser, will likely see gradual increases modulated, of course, by building demand.  Regardless, much of that logging traffic will end up on US 97 as a matter of course.

LM117

NC-86 between Danville and Hillsborough and it needs widened asap. It doesn't have to be a freeway but it definitely needs 4-lanes.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

RobbieL2415

US's 6 and 44, especially east of the Connecticut River.

Aaron Camp

A lengthy stretch of US-20 in northwestern Illinois is two-lane and hilly, and US-20 is the main corridor for truck traffic from Rockford, Illinois to Dubuque, Iowa, although I'm not sure of actual truck traffic levels on that stretch of US-20.

jwolfer

I was surprised at the amount of truck traffic on FL SR 33/19 between Florida's Turnpike and I-4.  I guess it's the short cut to avoid Orlando and Tampa traffic when getting to Lakeland.

Z981

fillup420

Trucks love NC 16 as an alternative to the congested I-77 around the Lake Norman area. Although NC 16 is soon going to be widened to 4 lanes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.