Most exotic road you have been on?

Started by Roadgeekteen, November 21, 2017, 07:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Blackrock Road by a mille:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskUFdcXy

Basically it has it all if you're looking for a bat shit crazy road...

One-lane steel grated bridges:

5 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

6 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Weird signs:

8 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

13 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

17 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

27 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

One-lane wooden bridges:

21 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

28 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

And of course scenery:

22 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

24 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

26 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

30 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

31 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Watch out or it will take your head off:

12 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Mapmikey

First thing that popped into my head was Trollstigen in Norway...rode down this in a full size tour bus.  To give an idea of how it is driven, the second picture is taken through the side window mid-way along the bus.

oscar

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 21, 2017, 07:15:41 PM
It would have to be for me HI 200.

Nice, but not exotic at all.

HI 360 (the curvaceous Hana Highway on Maui, most with a posted 15mph speed limit) is much more exotic. But the Trollstigen in Norway has that beat, even without the Hana's abundant tropical foliage and waterfalls.

I guess it's how you define "exotic" (not specified by the OP).
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Mapmikey

Quote from: oscar on November 21, 2017, 08:51:37 PM

HI 360 (the curvaceous Hana Highway on Maui, most with a posted 15mph speed limit) is much more exotic. But the Trollstigen in Norway has that beat, even without the Hana's abundant tropical foliage and waterfalls.

Trollstigen definitely has no tropical foliage, but does have a waterfall...

Roadgeekteen

I am not exactly a person who has "Traveled the world".

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

slorydn1

Would the Tail of the Dragon or Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive count for this thread? Being an east coaster its the best I can come up with.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

TheHighwayMan3561

For me it's whatever the "ring road" around St. Lucia is called. We were on a good part of the west side of it in 2015.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jakeroot

In the US, the Hana and Piilani Highways, south and west from Hana until the Kamole Gulch. The road from the Twin Falls to Hana is curvy, but at least it's two lanes (except for the bridges).

In the UK, the A82 from Tarbet to Crianlarich, Scotland (which has since been partly upgraded). Honorable mentions: Old Frome Road east of Wells, England, and the A259 from Hastings to Brenzett, England.

jeffandnicole

HI 360 (the curvaceous Hana Highway on Maui, most with a posted 15mph speed limit) is much more exotic.

I have driven this road in 2000, including the 'prohibited' portion which was unpaved. (I'm not sure if that area has since been paved.)  It was a beautiful, scenic area, especially where traffic doesn't travel very often since rental agreements prohibited travel in the area.

On that note, I have also driven up to Mauna Kea, which also involves driving on unpaved surfaces...12,000 feet above sea level, with no guardrails on the hairpin turns.  Then again, that wasn't exotic...that was frightening! LOL  But, making it to the top was well worth it.

As for me directly - I've travelled extensively in North America but that's it.  I can't think of much exotic in the areas I've been in.

Eth

Yep. In my case, I'd define it as "farthest from home", in which case it would be one of several highways in Iceland (such as my avatar, my one and only clinched route outside the USA). Truthfully the roads themselves weren't that unusual, outside of pavement markings and signs I'm not used to. Much more exotic in terms of the surrounding scenery, really.

jp the roadgeek

HI 550 has to be for me.  Great mountain road ride on the island of Kauai.  Didn't drive it (I was 12), but the views were breathtaking until you got up to over 3000 feet and you hit the clouds and rain.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Ga293

Mouse's Tank Road in Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada. With the stunning red rocks climbing on either side of the road and temperatures climbing past 120°F, it felt like another planet.

NC 12 south of Whalebone Junction feels exotic in a way that I can't quite put my finger on. It feels primordial somehow; the interaction of the endless oceans and the sands of time that lay waste to your notion of permanence.

1995hoo

I guess I'd define "exotic" as being the most unusual scenery I've encountered. Waimea Canyon Road on Kauai crossed my mind, but I think instead the roads that really stand out in my memory are the ones in southeastern Utah around the Valley of the Gods area, including the Moki Dugway and US-163.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Finrod

I didn't drive it, since it was on a family vacation and I was less than 10 at the time, but I've been to the top of Mt. Evans in Colorado, which I'm told is the highest paved road in North America.
Internet member since 1987.

Hate speech is a nonsense concept; the truth is hate speech to those that hate the truth.

People who use their free speech to try to silence others' free speech are dangerous fools.

DandyDan

Quote from: slorydn1 on November 22, 2017, 03:18:20 AM
Would the Tail of the Dragon or Blue Ridge Parkway/Skyline Drive count for this thread? Being an east coaster its the best I can come up with.
I was going to say Skyline Drive myself, being it's different from the Midwest roads I am used to. I was there in 2001.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

kkt

If you're just looking for scenery, my most exotic road recently is the Stevens Canyon Road in Mt. Rainier National Park.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OInY73_EWN0

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Eth on November 22, 2017, 08:26:51 AM

Yep. In my case, I'd define it as "farthest from home", in which case it would be one of several highways in Iceland (such as my avatar, my one and only clinched route outside the USA). Truthfully the roads themselves weren't that unusual, outside of pavement markings and signs I'm not used to. Much more exotic in terms of the surrounding scenery, really.
The definition in this thread is furthest and most physically different from your home.

US71

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 22, 2017, 05:31:36 PM
Quote from: Eth on November 22, 2017, 08:26:51 AM

The definition in this thread is furthest and most physically different from your home.

Too many to name.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kkt

Farthest from my home, driving a rental car on I-85 in Georgia and the Carolinas I guess.

I like the scenery definition better :)

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kkt on November 22, 2017, 06:33:59 PM
Farthest from my home, driving a rental car on I-85 in Georgia and the Carolinas I guess.

Fine, scenic. This is so damn confusing, I thought I knew what exotic meant!

cbeach40

Skippers Canyon Road in New Zealand
and waterrrrrrr!

US 89

For the best scenery, I have these:
Going to the Sun Road
US-191 near Moab
US-89 east of Logan
I-15, Virgin River Gorge
I-70, Glenwood Canyon (really anything between Denver and Grand Jct)
AZ 89A, Oak Creek Canyon
UT 9, Zion NP

For simply farthest from my home, it's some road in Bermuda.

1995hoo

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on November 22, 2017, 10:03:53 PM
Quote from: kkt on November 22, 2017, 06:33:59 PM

Fine, scenic. This is so damn confusing, I thought I knew what exotic meant!

Well, I suppose I could argue that K Street NW between 15 and 16 Streets, or M Street NW between 18 and 19, is the most "exotic" road I use regularly. They're "exotic" because of the "dancers" employed at Archibald's and Camelot.  :-P
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

epzik8

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 21, 2017, 08:27:59 PM
Blackrock Road by a mille:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskUFdcXy

Basically it has it all if you're looking for a bat shit crazy road...

One-lane steel grated bridges:

5 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

6 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Weird signs:

8 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

13 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

17 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

27 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

One-lane wooden bridges:

21 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

28 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

And of course scenery:

22 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

24 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

26 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

30 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

31 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr

Watch out or it will take your head off:

12 by Max Rockatansky, on Flickr
"Slippery Bridge" haha I love that!
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.