News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Moving US capital

Started by Roadgeekteen, November 27, 2017, 04:51:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kkt

The division of Texas was allowed for in the law that annexed Texas territory to the United States, however not in the law that finally admitted Texas as a state, and not in the law that readmitted Texas to the Union following the unpleasantness.

wxfree

Quote from: 1 on November 30, 2017, 05:33:34 AM
Are we ready to move the capital to the cloud?

There's an idea.  Great symbolism.  The elites and leaders live in the cloud, and the little people have to look up at them while they toil away in the mines.

I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

bulldog1979

Quote1: New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

You've misread it by isolating the emphasized phrase out of context. You need to read it with the next one, and together it says you can't split up a state or merge (parts of) states together without the consent of the affected states' legislatures and Congress.

When West Virginia split, there was a functioning pro-Union remnant of the Virginia legislature that organized in Wheeling to continue the functions of the area of the state that did not want to secede from the Union. It was that legislature was recognized by the Union government and consented to the creation of West Virginia.

kkt

Excuse me, but I included the context.  I emphasized the part most relevent to the discussion and figured readers could read on the end of the sentence without having their hands held.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: wxfree on December 03, 2017, 08:50:45 AM
Quote from: 1 on November 30, 2017, 05:33:34 AM
Are we ready to move the capital to the cloud?

There's an idea.  Great symbolism.  The elites and leaders live in the cloud, and the little people have to look up at them while they toil away in the mines.

The air force would have to do a lot of work against the angry masses if we went from a free country to this.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: corco on November 26, 2013, 01:14:44 AM
A legitimate argument could be made to relocate the nation's capital to American Falls
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on December 13, 2017, 02:04:36 PM
A legitimate argument could be made to relocate the nation's capital to American Falls
I am confused. Couldn't this name be used for any US town near a waterfall? Why this one?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 13, 2017, 05:37:12 PM
I am confused. Couldn't this name be used for any US town near a waterfall? Why this one?

Click on the quote link and actually read corco's post that I snipped that from.  And then be glad I didn't quote the entire post.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on December 13, 2017, 06:03:48 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 13, 2017, 05:37:12 PM

Click on the quote link and actually read corco's post that I snipped that from.  And then be glad I didn't quote the entire post.
Wow! So much effort by Corco!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.