News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

This cartographer’s deep dive into Google Maps is fascinating

Started by ZLoth, December 26, 2017, 09:42:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

From The Verge:

This cartographer's deep dive into Google Maps is fascinating
Google Maps is more powerful than you know
QuoteMost people who use Google Maps do so without much attention to detail. We just need the directions, the right subway route, or the name of that good sushi place. We don't spend too much time pondering how Google got so good at mapping the world, and what decisions and choices were made along the way that have made it the go-to navigational tool of our time.

Justin O'Beirne pays attention to these types of details. He's a cartographer who helped contribute to Apple Maps. So we should trust him when he explains – in depth – about what makes Google Maps so superior to any other mapping service.

This week, he published a fascinating essay that explains the concept of the "Google Maps' Moat."  By this, he means the layers of data surrounding Google Maps that basically makes it basically impossible for Apple or any competitor to ever catch up. "Google has gathered so much data, in so many areas, that it's now crunching it together and creating features that Apple can't make – surrounding Google Maps with a moat of time,"  he writes. "It makes you wonder how long back Google was planning all of this–and what it's planning next..."
FULL ARTICLE HERE and Google Maps Essay
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Marf

This cartographer's deep dive into Google Maps is clickbait.
Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.