News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Roads in comedy routines

Started by kurumi, December 27, 2017, 02:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

This might be a very short thread.

Anyway, in a Hannibal Buress routine about speeding, he talks about wanting to "minimize the time I spend on Indiana State Road 37. This state and this road sucks": https://youtu.be/n2A_64RadOI?t=5m15s (routine starts at about 4:55)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Throckmorton

Proceed with caution

jaehak

I do standup and I'm a roadgeek. Would love to find a way to combine the too. "What's the deal with Breezewood?"

kphoger

Quote from: jaehak on December 28, 2017, 11:23:12 AM
"What's the deal with Breezewood?"

And then just stand there in silence, waiting for everyone to laugh.  Works especially well in Utah.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

catsynth

I recall a Seinfeld segment revolving around the Van Wyck Expressway (I-678)
http://www.catsynth.com
Highway☆ App for iOS
Highway☆ App for Android

Completed 2di: I-80, I-87 (NY), I-84 (E), I-86 (E), I-97, I-44

kphoger

Quote from: The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson
Art Fern:  How do you get there? Let me tell you friends, how do you get there! You take the San Diego Freeway to the Ventura Freeway. You drive to the Slauson Cutoff, get out of your car, cut off your Slauson, get back in your car, then you drive six miles till you see the Giant Neon Vice-Squad Cop.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

CtrlAltDel

Then, there's also the Californians sketches from Saturday Night Live.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Tt-tG6ufH90
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: catsynth on December 29, 2017, 02:26:39 PM

Kramer also once signed up to do litter removal on mile 114 of the fictional "Arthur Burkhardt Expressway".
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Marf

Man, next time it will be "Roads in roads" or something.
Direct your complaints about me to Archer City, FL. Direct anything else about me to my PM-box. Direct things NOT about me to the Hypnotuse. Or just send anything to Alanlans, that's alright too.

Throckmorton

Quote from: kphoger on December 29, 2017, 05:52:30 PMIs this supposed to mean something to me?

Apparently not.   

Proceed with caution

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

wxfree

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on December 29, 2017, 05:01:11 PM

Kramer also once signed up to do litter removal on mile 114 of the fictional "Arthur Burkhardt Expressway".

Was that the one when he erased some of the lane stripes to give drivers double-wide lanes, which Elaine thought was luxurious?
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

US 81

There was a running gag in LA Story (movie) where the protagonist would get in his car and drive to go to the house two doors down.

US 89

Quote from: kphoger on December 29, 2017, 07:59:36 PM
Quote from: Throckmorton on December 29, 2017, 07:54:16 PM
Quote from: kphoger on December 29, 2017, 05:52:30 PMIs this supposed to mean something to me?
Apparently not.   

Good to know.

For what it's worth, CA 14 replaced US 6 when it was truncated in 1964.

johndoe

https://youtu.be/iAgX6qlJEMc

formulanone

Quote from: roadguy2 on December 30, 2017, 12:35:54 AM
Quote from: kphoger on December 29, 2017, 07:59:36 PM
Quote from: Throckmorton on December 29, 2017, 07:54:16 PM
Apparently not.   

Good to know.

For what it's worth, CA 14 replaced US 6 when it was truncated in 1964.

I know the old chestnut about "explaining the joke loses the humor" , but that doesn't mean I believe it, either. Besides, that really only applies to performances, where time is limited.

What's the joke, who's the stand-up, and why?

Throckmorton

Quote from: formulanone on December 30, 2017, 09:55:02 AMWhat's the joke, who's the stand-up, and why?

It's not a joke from a stand up routine. It would be in the category of sketch comedy.   

The sketch is, in part, about a futuristic luxury car which features, amongst other things a device that reads and articulates road signs.   

The comedian, as it were, would be the ensemble, Firesign Theatre and the bit I refer to can be heard on their How Can You Be in Two Places at Once When You're Not Anywhere at All album (1969).   

It refers to the, "Antelope Freeway," not the Antelope Valley Freeway. And, yes, I realize only a portion of California 14 is known by this name. Nevertheless, I believe it is the highway referenced.   

That portion of the sketch was uploaded to YouTube by someone other than myself. The audio begins at aproximately 0:23. The visual, interesting though it may be, obviously has nothing to do with the sketch.   

Proceed with caution

jeffandnicole

Quote from: wxfree on December 29, 2017, 10:43:14 PM

Was that the one when he erased some of the lane stripes to give drivers double-wide lanes, which Elaine thought was luxurious?

Hey, look at this...Wide Lanes!  How Luxurious!

https://youtu.be/gxr9U6dG3Bg

Scott5114

Dave Barry did a column once about a trip he took to Los Angeles. There were a few paragraphs about the vastness of the LA freeway system, and yet how every trip seemed to somehow involve "the 10" and "the 405".

Quite a bit further on in the column, after the topic had changed seven or eight times, he was describing a street preacher shouting at passersby, telling them that "they were going to hell (presumably using 'the 10' and 'the 405')."
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

michravera

Quote from: jaehak on December 28, 2017, 11:23:12 AM
I do standup and I'm a roadgeek. Would love to find a way to combine the too. "What's the deal with Breezewood?"

I have a bit that I have entitled "The Only Stop Sign in Rio" that I wrote back in the 1990s. It's pretty timeless. I will post when I locate it in my archives or feel compelled to recreate it.

roadman

"The Pothole" - where Kramer adopts a highway.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skPZnPgldVk
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on December 29, 2017, 02:34:32 PM
Quote from: The Tonight Show starring Johnny Carson
Art Fern:  How do you get there? Let me tell you friends, how do you get there! You take the San Diego Freeway to the Ventura Freeway. You drive to the Slauson Cutoff, get out of your car, cut off your Slauson, get back in your car, then you drive six miles till you see the Giant Neon Vice-Squad Cop.

Or:

AF: Keep driving till you get to...
Audience: THE FORK IN THE ROAD!
AF: NO, the SPOON in the road!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.