News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Roads on Discord!

Started by MCRoads, January 11, 2018, 05:36:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MCRoads

I have created a Discord server all about Roads! I'm not sure if anyone else has a Discord account, but if you do, feel free to join and talk about random roads stuff!

Link: https://discord.gg/AxmJ4Fw
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

hotdogPi

Didn't we just try this a few months ago?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

MCRoads

I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

cjk374

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hotdogPi

I just joined the server. It is pretty empty right now, but maybe more can join.

EDIT: Two people joined after me, which means the number of members has doubled from 3 to 6 within the last two days.

hotdogPi

I was the fourth person to join. There are eight now. Other users include kevinb1994, jlam, and JP The Roadgeek. I believe the owner is MCRoads, but I'm not sure.

There has been no discussion yet other than saying what our usernames are on the forum; we're basically waiting for more people.

EDIT one day later: We're up to 11.

JoePCool14

I just joined it. We'll see if this goes anywhere.

I would highly recommend coming up with a more unique name for the server though, as The Roads Community is very generic.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Max Rockatansky

We have plenty of roads that are good at sowing discord.  Some of the obvious ones include:

I-99
I-238
US 163
US 400
US 412
US 425

hotdogPi

I've posted a message to the server in #roads_irl. I'm hoping to start a discussion to show that the server is viable. Nobody has replied yet; I was hoping at least one would so that we can actually get things started.

Hunty2022

Will the forum emojis be on the server?  :spin:
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

hotdogPi

It's been about 2-3 weeks. There's maybe one photo/message per day plus replies to it, usually by TBKS1 or me, which is better than the zero from before. There are 19 members. It's slowly growing, but it could definitely become a regular thing.

Note that Discord allows uploading images without an account on Imgur/Flickr/anywhere else.

roadwaywiz95

I created a Discord server of my own a few months back (without knowing that any other road-related servers were already out there). It was originally set up as a way to allow followers of my YouTube channel to keep in touch, but with Forum Chat going away recently, it's turning into more of a general road-related server.

For anyone interested:
https://discord.gg/gxW2BfsJ
Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

hotdogPi

So far:

RoadwayWiz's server:
38 total members. Notable members: [list removed at Bruce's request]. 5 messages or so per day. (edit: posting rate increased significantly after I made this post)

MCRoads's server:
22 total members. Notable members: [list removed at Bruce's request]. Note the age difference between the two servers. 2 or so messages per day, heavily lopsided toward me and TBKS1.

We need a consolidation. There are two options.

1. Move everything to RoadwayWiz's server. The big names appear to be in that server, and its use as a general roads chatroom predates my recruiting to MCRoads's server by six days (April 12 vs. April 18). RoadwayWiz's server is also larger and more active.

2. Move all road-related discussion to MCRoads's server, while RoadwayWiz's server goes back to its original purpose of his YouTube channel. To do this, though, we need several of the notable people in RoadwayWiz's server to also join MCRoads's server; RoadwayWiz joined it today, while rschen7754 did earlier, but many of the others haven't.

To avoid fragmenting discussion, I think we need to choose one, but I don't think it's up to me.[/list][/list]

Rothman

Or, just keep things as they are and see which one dies out first.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Takumi

There are three. There's also the one that's called "AARoads Forum"  that has 21 members, that I believe was started by NedWeasel.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

All these Discord servers are causing chat discord.

algorerhythms

I'm in a server. I don't know which one.

JoePCool14

I'm going to go ahead and join RoadwayWiz's server, but I'll stay on the other one I'm already in. Our community just isn't large enough to actively support multiple Discord servers, unless the unique servers serve a specific purpose that can't be filled by the main one.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

hbelkins

Quote from: JoePCool14 on May 12, 2023, 01:50:14 PM
I'm going to go ahead and join RoadwayWiz's server, but I'll stay on the other one I'm already in. Our community just isn't large enough to actively support multiple Discord servers, unless the unique servers serve a specific purpose that can't be filled by the main one.

Why isn't it large enough? Back in the Yahoo Groups days, we had a number of regional groups. And there are a lot of regional Facebook groups as well.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on May 13, 2023, 07:10:09 PM

Why isn't it large enough? Back in the Yahoo Groups days, we had a number of regional groups. And there are a lot of regional Facebook groups as well.

Many of the smaller regional Facebook are presently going through the process of internal implosion.  Even before the current happenings most of the state specific (California is a large exception to this) or regional groups were losing members to catch all groups.  The catch all and highway specific groups are really what has begun to boom in Facebook realm.

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 13, 2023, 07:22:07 PM

Many of the smaller regional Facebook are presently going through the process of internal implosion.  Even before the current happenings most of the state specific (California is a large exception to this) or regional groups were losing members to catch all groups.  The catch all and highway specific groups are really what has begun to boom in Facebook realm.

What's the story behind that? I saw something about two group admins getting into a spat where one dropped the other as a friend, and then as a result the dropped one kicked a bunch of their mutuals out of several grooups.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on May 14, 2023, 07:42:45 PM

What's the story behind that? I saw something about two group admins getting into a spat where one dropped the other as a friend, and then as a result the dropped one kicked a bunch of their mutuals out of several grooups.

Apparently it has something to do with an argument that started on a retail group page.  The argument resulted in one party deleting/blocking numerous people and pages from several groups he co-admins.  Said person also has deleted numerous groups he had full admin control over.   The fall out is bizarre to watch as someone who has no affiliation with any party involved.

roadwaywiz95

Quote from: 1 on May 12, 2023, 09:01:46 AM
    We need a consolidation. There are two options.

1. Move everything to RoadwayWiz's server. The big names appear to be in that server, and its use as a general roads chatroom predates my recruiting to MCRoads's server by six days (April 12 vs. April 18). RoadwayWiz's server is also larger and more active.

2. Move all road-related discussion to MCRoads's server, while RoadwayWiz's server goes back to its original purpose of his YouTube channel. To do this, though, we need several of the notable people in RoadwayWiz's server to also join MCRoads's server; RoadwayWiz joined it today, while rschen7754 did earlier, but many of the others haven't.

To avoid fragmenting discussion, I think we need to choose one, but I don't think it's up to me.[/list][/list]
    I support the idea of consolidation (Option 1) given the landscape of things at this point, however the individuals who follow/run the respective servers involved should be the ones who make their own decisions.
    Clinched Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/roadwaywiz.gif
    Clinched Interstates & Other Highways: https://travelmapping.net/shields/clinched.php?units=miles&u=roadwaywiz

@roadwaywiz on YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Spreadshirt, and Discord

Also at http://www.gribblenation.org/

Rothman

Looks like most of the activity is on WIZ anyway.
    Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 14, 2023, 07:54:08 PM
    Quote from: hbelkins on May 14, 2023, 07:42:45 PM

Apparently it has something to do with an argument that started on a retail group page.  The argument resulted in one party deleting/blocking numerous people and pages from several groups he co-admins.  Said person also has deleted numerous groups he had full admin control over.   The fall out is bizarre to watch as someone who has no affiliation with any party involved.

I don't know the parties, nor am I aware of the groups involved.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.