News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Fake “request hours” on the radio

Started by epzik8, January 15, 2018, 11:08:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

This is probably a confusing post, but I heard York, Pennsylvania's 98.5 classic rock station the other day, and it was noon, and apparently at noon they have a "request hour"  where they claim that you can call in with a request. But it sounds like the requests aren't real. The hour consists of people with outlandish voices (the first giveaway) "requesting"  a tune, and the DJ goes ahead with that song. I think the "requests"  are pre-recorded by voice actors, and the DJ is merely conversing with the audio clips of those actors. And that means the song list has to be pre-set ahead of time.

I know this is weird but does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about?
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

triplemultiplex

Yes.  That's what happens when only a couple companies own most of the radio stations.
Chances are the DJ isn't local either.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

jeffandnicole

I always figured that the playlist is already set.  But most of the people calling in are requesting the hit songs that station plays multiple times a day anyway.  So just record some people requesting a song, and when that song is ready to be played, just play the recording of someone requesting that song.

There are some radio stations that do it the right way. Here in Philly, 93.3 WMMR truly plays requests.  Some of them are truly older songs that you don't hear often, so the chances of someone calling in for a song already on a playlist is pretty low.

hotdogPi

When 106.7 in my area was doing Christmas music, I requested the chipmunk song (which they never play). About 30 minutes later, they said my first name and the town where I live (which I gave them), so they obviously got my request, but then they played a version of We Need A Little Christmas. It was fast and had high voices singing in harmony, but it's still nowhere near the actual chipmunk song.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

cl94

Stuff like this is why I like Buffalo's 92.9 (Jack FM), which explicitly states "no requests, no DJs". Yes, people do still call in (often drunk), and they will record and play those things at a later date. Those clips are WAY too ridiculous to be staged.

I have seen a few stations do true "request blocks". I was driving through Cleveland one night a few years ago and there was a big fire downtown. The classic rock station asked people to call in with "fire songs to support the firefighters" or something like that. And we got some really cool request songs that are never played, such as Harry Nilsson's "Jump Into the Fire", AC/DC's "This House Is On Fire", etc.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

bandit957

This has been going on for decades now. I remember a station doing "requests and dedications" each evening, and every caller sounded like they were 10, and they picked really bad music.

For years, Q-102 in Cincinnati had a nightly countdown of the most requested songs. But it fell to shambles by the mid-'90s, when the "Always Coca-Cola" jingle somehow made the countdown.

Also, anyone remember 'Friday Night Video Fights' on MTV? Back in the mid-'80s, MTV would have a show where they'd play two videos and you could call in and vote for your favorite. I remember seeing some suspicious come-from-behind victories where a video won 51% to 49%. I don't think it was Russian hackers.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

inkyatari

It's possible that they were actors, but as someone pointed out, request hours are confined, in most cases, to the playlist.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

jwolfer

Quote from: cl94 on January 15, 2018, 11:26:28 AM
Stuff like this is why I like Buffalo's 92.9 (Jack FM), which explicitly states "no requests, no DJs". Yes, people do still call in (often drunk), and they will record and play those things at a later date. Those clips are WAY too ridiculous to be staged.

I have seen a few stations do true "request blocks". I was driving through Cleveland one night a few years ago and there was a big fire downtown. The classic rock station asked people to call in with "fire songs to support the firefighters" or something like that. And we got some really cool request songs that are never played, such as Harry Nilsson's "Jump Into the Fire", AC/DC's "This House Is On Fire", etc.
Jack FM is just one of the brands... Jacksonville had a jack FM. They were the rebellions "we play what we want" persona.  I have heard "jack FM" in several cities

Z981

inkyatari

Quote from: jwolfer on January 15, 2018, 12:23:21 PM
I have heard "jack FM" in several cities

Z981

Chicago just got rid of JACK-FM, and replaced it with yet another hip hop station.

cl94

Jack FM is just one of the brands... Jacksonville had a jack FM. They we're the rebellions "we play what we want" persona.  I have heard "jack FM" in several cities

Z981

I'm aware it's a brand. But it's a hell of a lot better than almost everything else up here as they don't play the same 10 songs on repeat.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

hotdogPi

Quote from: cl94 on January 15, 2018, 12:30:02 PM

Jack FM is just one of the brands... Jacksonville had a jack FM. They we're the rebellions "we play what we want" persona.  I have heard "jack FM" in several cities

Z981

I'm aware it's a brand. But it's a hell of a lot better than almost everything else up here as they don't play the same 10 songs on repeat.

Where I live:
105.7, music from about 1965-1989 (they don't give exact years), seems to have about a 6 hour median repeat time.
99.5, classical music, is a bit hard to find a median repeat time since it's so long; many songs they play only once or less than once per year, while the most common ones are about once every 3 days.
All the current music stations, like 106.7 and 107.9 (incorrectly claimed to be exactly 108), has a median repeat time of about 1 hour.

I don't know how often the Spanish language station or any other older music stations repeat songs.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

US71

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_FM
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

texaskdog

Yes, in my wife's car it is always rap or people named Ed or Charlie

US71

Quote from: texaskdog on January 15, 2018, 12:39:48 PM

Cousin Brucie (aka Bruce Morrow) does a 4 hour show Wednesday and Saturday on Sirius XM. He usually opens the phone lines for one hour.

Most of the local stations around here have a live DJ in the morning, then switch to satellite feed. "Hap-E Larry's Request Express" come on Sunday night on the local oldies station and is primarily a local request show, but it's hard to get through and he spends too much time chatting with his drinking buddies who call in.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brandon

Quote from: inkyatari on January 15, 2018, 12:28:19 PM

Z981

Chicago just got rid of JACK-FM, and replaced it with yet another hip hop station.

After another stint as an oldies station.  I always liked Nine FM better than Jack FM when Nine FM was on (2005-2008).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

inkyatari

Quote from: Brandon on January 15, 2018, 01:42:19 PM

Z981

After another stint as an oldies station.  I always liked Nine FM better than Jack FM when Nine FM was on (2005-2008).
I loved 9 FM.  They'd play stuff from today, then something from the 80's, and then wouldn't have a problem playing some Sinatra afterwards.  I loved the format.

Once I was on their "you host" show.  Can't remember the exact name of the show.

I recall only a few of the songs I had..  We're Not Gonna Take It - Twisted Sister , Steppin' Out - Joe Jackson, Turn It On - Genesis.  I need to dig the tape up and listen to it again.

roadman65

I was told in broadcasting school that it is set.  If they really did your requests it would create a train wreck I was told.  Programming is very critical and cannot be spontaneous due to ads and sponsors.

I do know that the 8th caller or 15th caller  on conests is BS.as I learned while  I toured cox media studios in Orlando,  The DJ in the booth showed us how he handles calls.  Its all on how the caller's mood is.  If he is not excited enough for the free tickets then the DJ states to the caller that he is not the desired number caller.  If he or she is very excited then they are the desired caller.  Plus it is edited as the actual conversation is much longer than what you hear between songs.  This way if the winner decides  to say something like "You mean I fuckin won!" they can edit the swear out so both the station and caller do not get fined by the feds as foul language is still forbidden to use over the air.

The same with conservative talk as live talk is always delayed by a few seconds just in case someone like NE2 calls, lets say Rush Limbaugh or Sean Hannity and starts like he does here at times, they can edit out his profanity or any other person who wants to vent at that kind of medium and its on air talent as well.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadman65 on January 15, 2018, 03:55:44 PM
I do know that the 8th caller or 15th caller is BS. as I toured cox media studios in Orlando,  The DJ in the booth showed us how he handles calls.  Its all on how the caller's mood is.  If he is not excited enough for the free tickets then the DJ states to the caller that he is not the desired number caller.  If he or she is very excited then they are the desired caller.  Plus it is edited as the actual conversation is much longer than what you hear between songs.  This way if the winner decides  to say something like "You mean I fuckin won!" they can edit the swear out so both the station and caller do not get fined by the feds as foul language is still forbidden to use over the air.

Then how is it that you can call, immediately get something like "You're number 12" before you have a chance to speak, and then they hang up? (where the number they're looking for is higher than 12)
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50

roadman65

Quote from: 1 on January 15, 2018, 03:57:44 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on January 15, 2018, 03:55:44 PM
I do know that the 8th caller or 15th caller is BS. as I toured cox media studios in Orlando,  The DJ in the booth showed us how he handles calls.  Its all on how the caller's mood is.  If he is not excited enough for the free tickets then the DJ states to the caller that he is not the desired number caller.  If he or she is very excited then they are the desired caller.  Plus it is edited as the actual conversation is much longer than what you hear between songs.  This way if the winner decides  to say something like "You mean I fuckin won!" they can edit the swear out so both the station and caller do not get fined by the feds as foul language is still forbidden to use over the air.

Then how is it that you can call, immediately get something like "You're number 12" before you have a chance to speak, and then they hang up?
I do not know anything but what Cox says, as I was in the studio when two callers called in at Cox Media Orlando.  The DJ accepted one and denied the other in front of me as one was lame sounding while the other sounded enthused.  Perhaps it is after the selected winner won, and they don't want to keep airing the busy signal after the winner is picked as most lines are the same line for other station business like requests or DJ chat.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

103.9 The Fox in Flint, Michigan does a pretty good job with requests.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: US71 on January 15, 2018, 12:58:05 PM
Quote from: texaskdog on January 15, 2018, 12:39:48 PM

Cousin Brucie (aka Bruce Morrow) does a 4 hour show Wednesday and Saturday on Sirius XM. He usually opens the phone lines for one hour.

I think FirstWave on SiriusXM does take requests sometime. I have no interest in making such requests, so I do not know if this is true or not.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

thenetwork

Quote from: Brandon on January 15, 2018, 01:42:19 PM

Z981

Nothing can top the "real" NINE!!!   https://youtu.be/hsHYp4k7fFw?t=4m9s

abefroman329

Jack FM is just one of the brands... Jacksonville had a jack FM. They were the rebellions "we play what we want" persona.  I have heard "jack FM" in several cities

Z981

In Philly it's Ben-FM, most likely after Ben Franklin, and Atlanta had Dave-FM.  The "we play what we want" persona is weird, given the fact that apparently they want to play sheer crap sometimes.

inkyatari

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 16, 2018, 11:32:19 AM

Z981

In Philly it's Ben-FM, most likely after Ben Franklin, and Atlanta had Dave-FM.  The "we play what we want" persona is weird, given the fact that apparently they want to play sheer crap sometimes.

TURN YOUR CRANK TO FRANK!

cl94

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 16, 2018, 11:32:19 AM

Z981

There were a few Dave FM stations. None of them still do the format.

Quote from: inkyatari on January 16, 2018, 12:37:36 PM
TURN YOUR CRANK TO FRANK!

There actually are a few Frank FM stations around. Similar format.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.