News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Tips On Searching For Existing Topics

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, January 16, 2018, 09:42:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

I would like to start doing more cross-checking for duplicate topics or existing ones, as to not step on someone's toes. Does anyone have suggestions on how to get the most out of the filter options and keyword searches? I try to search for topics with similar names, but I often come up empty handed.

Hopefully this can serve as a guide to newer folks!

Thanks!
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

kphoger

Remember to search for keywords that might be in the replies, not just the title.

Do multiple searches, trying out various synonyms, singular/plural forms, etc.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

If you go onto a board and search from there it narrows it down significantly.  I use the feature a lot to update old highway threads in Pacific Southwest. 

mrsman

I think this thred should be moved to Suggestions.

webny99

Quote from: mrsman on January 23, 2018, 08:50:14 PM
I think this thred should be moved to Suggestions.
Stole the words out of my mouth.

Quote from: kphoger on January 16, 2018, 11:40:35 AM
Remember to search for keywords that might be in the replies, not just the title.

Do multiple searches, trying out various synonyms, singular/plural forms, etc.
Yeah, this  :thumbsup:
There have been multiple cases where I found what I was looking for on the second or third search. Searching for multiple words at a time or even phrases can help narrow the results, too.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.