News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Locally famous foods

Started by webny99, January 17, 2018, 10:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inkyatari

Quote from: cl94 on January 19, 2018, 03:48:24 PM
Quote from: spooky on January 19, 2018, 03:45:11 PM
Quote from: Jim on January 19, 2018, 02:43:27 PM
When I was first recommended by a Cincinnati-area native to try Skyline on a trip through back around 2002, I was hesitant.  Chili and cheese on spaghetti sounds like a terrible idea.  But I did, and I've been hooked since.  I always make it a point to stop at a Skyline when in their territory (most often one of their "outliers" in Naples, FL) and make it at home probably about once a month.

Chili and cheese on spaghetti doesn't necessarily sound like a bad idea. Cinnamon and other baking spices prominently featured in chili sounds like (and is) a terrible idea.

Different type of chili. Cincinnati chili is more like the meat sauce found in Rhode Island and Upstate New York than what most people think of as "chili".

I was always told that Cincinnati chili is actually from an old Hungarian recipe.  I really like the flavors in Cincinnati chili.

We have a great chili place in Westmont, IL called Bishop's.  The used to have about six locations throughout Chicagoland, but now have only this one.  It's good stuff.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

briantroutman

I never had Cincinnati chili before giving up meat, so I'll never know what Skyline or Gold Star tastes like. I'm sure several places in Cincinnati's more bohemian sections make a vegetarian version, which I'll make a point to try someday (though it may or may not taste much like the real stuff).

But my understanding is that it is a dish laced with cinnamon. Quoting fast food expert The Evil Sam Graham:

QuoteCincinnati chili is not chili as you know it. It is not made for eating in a bowl as a standalone dish. It's a topping. It's a meaty brown beanless sauce that tastes like cinnamon. Yes, cinnamon. No, I didn't consider it a good idea either.

He said, by the way, that it was the invention of Greek diner owners who decided to take traditional chili and "Greek it up" .

hbelkins

When I was first recommended by a Cincinnati-area native to try Skyline on a trip through back around 2002, I was hesitant.  Chili and cheese on spaghetti sounds like a terrible idea.  But I did, and I've been hooked since.  I always make it a point to stop at a Skyline when in their territory (most often one of their "outliers" in Naples, FL) and make it at home probably about once a month.

I've gotten to where I prefer Gold Star over Skyline. Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference, but both brands sell a frozen variety of chili and spaghetti around here.  The Skyline seems a bit sweeter.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2018, 04:02:38 PM
Quote from: cl94 on January 19, 2018, 03:48:24 PM
Quote from: spooky on January 19, 2018, 03:45:11 PM

Chili and cheese on spaghetti doesn't necessarily sound like a bad idea. Cinnamon and other baking spices prominently featured in chili sounds like (and is) a terrible idea.

Different type of chili. Cincinnati chili is more like the meat sauce found in Rhode Island and Upstate New York than what most people think of as "chili".

Then you might want to edit the Wikipedia article on Cincinnati chili.

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_chili
Ingredients include ground beef, stock, tomato paste, spices such as cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, cloves, cumin, and chili powder, unsweetened dark chocolate and bay leaf, in a soup-like consistency.

Obviously a disconnect here. I know what is in Cincinnati chili. I was referring more to the fact that a lot of people think Cincinnati chili is like the chili you'd have in the southwest ("chili con carne"). Definitely isn't.

Quote from: inkyatari on January 19, 2018, 04:10:39 PM
I was always told that Cincinnati chili is actually from an old Hungarian recipe.  I really like the flavors in Cincinnati chili.

Hungarian/Greek/Balkan. That general part of the world. Part of why I brought up the hot dog meat sauce, as it's basically the same thing. Most of the hot dog places in the Northeast/Midwest known for their meat sauce were started by Greek immigrants (and, in fact, I happen to know that the recipes at the big places in Albany/Glens Falls include cinnamon and/or cocoa).
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

abefroman329

It wasn't a completely foreign concept to me, Steak 'n' Shake used to (still does?) sell it.

abefroman329

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 19, 2018, 12:36:59 PM
I mean, look, they offer ketchup as a condiment so obviously people use it.

In some spots, the ketchup is for the fries (and the burgers, if they also sell those).  There's one restaurant in Chicago, Flub-A-Dub-Chub, that will take your picture with a Polaroid camera and put it on their Wall of Shame if they see you putting ketchup on your hot dog.

inkyatari

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 19, 2018, 04:54:20 PM

It wasn't a completely foreign concept to me, Steak 'n' Shake used to (still does?) sell it.

I don't think theirs is a Cincinnati recipe.

kphoger

Quote from: inkyatari on January 19, 2018, 04:57:08 PM

No, but it's chili and cheese on spaghetti.  So the concept is the same.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

inkyatari

Quote from: kphoger on January 19, 2018, 05:06:15 PM
Quote from: inkyatari on January 19, 2018, 04:57:08 PM

No, but it's chili and cheese on spaghetti.  So the concept is the same.

It's been a while since I've had theirs.  Methinks a journey is in order on payday.

US71

Chili Mac (sometimes called Spaghetti Red). Chili on spaghetti, grated cheese on the side.  Fred and Red's in Joplin, MO served it before they closed a few years ago.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

webny99

While many interesting specialties from around the country have come out in this thread, which is great, I would still be interested in some more answers to the original question, which was whether anyone had ever eaten a trash plate or not, and if so what you thought.

jwolfer

Jacksonville Florida has the Camel Rider.. or just Rider... Basically a sub in pita bread. Also similar is steak in a sac.. middle eastern spiced ground beef with sub toppings yum!
A lot of sandwich shops were owned by Arabs a play on a pejorative name.. some of those sandwich shops have really good authentic Middle Eastern food

Jacksonville has one of the largest Arab-American communities in the country which is a surprise to many

Z981

kphoger

Among the American Indian population in this part of the country, you'll occasionally run across what's called a Navajo Taco or an Indian Taco.  It's a loaded-up taco that uses frybread in place of the tortilla.  Darned tasty!

And that's about all I can think of for my neck of the woods.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

sparker

Bob's Big Boy (the CA-based original) had what they termed a "chili size" on their menu, which was spaghetti topped with a really tomato-heavy chili (tasted a lot like canned Hormel -- but if someone added a small dose of stewed tomato).  Wasn't half bad; in my college days circa late '60's, it hit the spot after evenings of beer consumption.  Don't know if the Eastern Big Boy chains still have it on their menu; I usually stuck to the hamburger combo on my various travels.

P.S. -- to the Stromboli aficionados -- there are a couple of small pizza parlors here in San Jose that feature authentic Strombolis -- but IMO one might as well just get a regular pizza unless you intend to eat it in the car, in which case the Stromboli is a bit easier to handle.

MNHighwayMan

The Jucy Lucy: a burger with the cheese inside the meat patty. They're amazing and can be had at many bars and restaurants across the Twin Cities.

US71

Leong's Asian Diner in Springfield, MO is home to the original Cashew Chicken
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

nexus73

World Famous Langlois, located on US 101 in north Curry County, got that moniker due to the World Famous Langlois Market Hot Dog.  Why is it "world famous"?  The beef it is made from comes from that area.  Yeah, it's good.  The frank is fatter and shorter than the typical supermarket hot dog.  Add in home made sweet mustard.  You won't find a better hot dog on the Oregon Coast!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

US 89

Utah definitely some a few distinctive foods. The ones that jump to mind are green Jell-O, fry sauce (basically ketchup and mayonnaise mixed together) and funeral potatoes.

abefroman329

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on January 20, 2018, 12:05:59 AM
The Jucy Lucy: a burger with the cheese inside the meat patty. They're amazing and can be had at many bars and restaurants across the Twin Cities.

I've been to Matt's, which is one of the two bars that claims to have invented the Jucy Lucy, and enjoyed it quite a bit.

abefroman329

Quote from: webny99 on January 19, 2018, 05:26:46 PM
While many interesting specialties from around the country have come out in this thread, which is great, I would still be interested in some more answers to the original question, which was whether anyone had ever eaten a trash plate or not, and if so what you thought.

(That was a mouthful  :crazy:)

I ate a bastardized trash plate, heavily modded to remove foods I don't like, and it was fine.  Not a life-changing experience on par with the first time I had a real Philly cheesesteak.

kphoger

Quote from: nexus73 on January 20, 2018, 11:48:49 PM
the World Famous Langlois Market Hot Dog.

Never heard of it.

All right, show of hands, everybody.  Who here had heard of the Langlois Market Hot Dog?
Male pronouns, please.

cjk374

Quote from: kphoger on January 22, 2018, 02:35:01 PM

Never heard of it.

All right, show of hands, everybody.  Who here had heard of the Langlois Market Hot Dog?

Keeps hands down

An authentic Philly cheesesteak & a Jucy Lucy are both on my bucket list.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: cjk374 on January 22, 2018, 04:38:04 PM

Never heard of it.

Keeps hands down

An authentic Philly cheesesteak & a Jucy Lucy are both on my bucket list.

If you do the cheesesteak thing, you have to do a side by side comparison of Pat's vs Geno's.  Go to one, order a cheese wit, then go across the street to the other and order the same thing.  Best to do it with a partner so you each get a half of both (have to be really hungry to eat both in one sitting). 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

roadman65

Diners in NJ are not the same in other places.  However, in Florida we have Lesters Diner on SR 84 in Fort Lauderdale that comes close.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

nexus73

Never heard of it.

Of course you never heard of it.  I guess you never heard of local tourism promotion either.  Must be a sheltered life you live...LOL!  Anyways, the hot dogs are that good.  The weather?  That depends! 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.