News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The United States, Divided into 11 Different "Nations"

Started by Henry, January 19, 2018, 09:39:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jeffandnicole

The midlands include NJ (And then the article claims that it starts in PA and DE)?

Proof that we need to cut down on the amount of journalist majors.  Clickbait, scroll thru each page to read the story articles are the result of way too many graduates in a slowing industry.

SP Cook

Not dissimilar from previous efforts dating back to at least the 1970s.  Actually fairly well thought out, although (much like the Almanac of American Politics) it places too much emphasis on who the original settlers of a place were. 

Really society can be divided into two groups.  Those who wish to be left alone and those who refuse to leave others alone. 

formulanone

Quote from: Henry on January 19, 2018, 09:39:24 AM
Read it all on the link below, then give your own opinion on the idea:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/this-map-shows-the-us-really-has-11-separate-nations-with-entirely-different-cultures/ss-AAuR3Ol?ocid=spartandhp

As it’s the third time I’ve seen this, the unanswered question of the nation’s 8th-largest metropolis could easily be Nation #12: Floribbean.

But nobody wants hear about the prerequisites of learning Spanish and dealing with 65-degree winters.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 19, 2018, 09:44:38 AMProof that we need to cut down on the amount of journalist majors.  Clickbait, scroll thru each page to read the story articles are the result of way too many graduates in a slowing industry.

Editors can find a way to fuck up Shakespere.

Brandon

I've read the book, and I agree with most of it.  A few differences I have, based on my observations:

I'd split Yankeedom into two.  An eastern part, east of a line drawn between the Catskills and the Adirondacks, and a western part, west of said line, with the split somewhere near Syracuse, New York.

I'd add a Yankee-descended area in Utah and Idaho, centered on Salt Lake City.  The folks who settled there (LDS) were from upstate & western New York originally, part of Yankeedom.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: formulanone on January 19, 2018, 10:56:17 AM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/this-map-shows-the-us-really-has-11-separate-nations-with-entirely-different-cultures/ss-AAuR3Ol?ocid=spartandhp

As it's the third time I've seen this, the unanswered question of the nation's 8th-largest metropolis could easily be Nation #12: Floribbean.

But nobody wants hear about the prerequisites of learning Spanish and dealing with 65-degree winters.

Joel Garreau addressed that a bit in his Nine Nations of North America as "The Islands".  I don't think Woodward wanted to get into South Florida as much, but I'd agree that South Florida and the Caribbean make up yet another "nation" of North America.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

empirestate

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: empirestate on January 19, 2018, 11:41:11 PM
There is already a thread on this...

iPhone
Please provide a link? Unless if this was a joke.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

slorydn1

I think this was pretty well thought out, although I might quibble with the borders some. I find it interesting that my county (Craven in NC) is the far NE corner of the deep south but Beaufort, Pamlico and Carteret counties are considered Tidewater. I spend alot of time in all 4 counties and all 4 are pretty much the same as far as the way we act, speak, engage in politics (or the lack therof) etc. All of Eastern NC, the region we call the Crystal Coast is like that-more like the rest of what the author classifies as the Deep South, than like the Tidewater which he has Carteret, Pamlico and Beaufort in.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

empirestate

triplemultiplex

There.  Image imbedded so we're not rewarding clickbaiters for their shitty articles.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

kkt

Quote from: formulanone on January 19, 2018, 10:56:17 AM

As it's the third time I've seen this, the unanswered question of the nation's 8th-largest metropolis could easily be Nation #12: Floribbean.

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 19, 2018, 09:44:38 AMProof that we need to cut down on the amount of journalist majors.  Clickbait, scroll thru each page to read the story articles are the result of way too many graduates in a slowing industry.

Editors can find a way to fuck up Shakespere.

"You won't believe how many people die in Macbeth!"

bing101

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 22, 2018, 10:00:39 AM

There.  Image imbedded so we're not rewarding clickbaiters for their shitty articles.

Interesting though

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.