News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Glaring Map Errors

Started by CapeCodder, February 07, 2018, 08:40:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris19001

Winsconsin needs some lovin' too.

Big John

From that thread, Lowa needs a picker-upper

Bickendan

The 2008 Portland Thomas Guide (featuring the Rand McNally symbology) had a massive subdivision in northern Forest Park.

andrepoiy

Google Maps in China isn't the best. The new G7 Beixing Expressway still dosen't show on Google Maps.

Also, if you go to the China/Hong Kong border, you will see strange things. It seems like the whole country is offset from the rest of the world.

vdeane

Quote from: andrepoiy on February 11, 2018, 10:58:00 PM
Also, if you go to the China/Hong Kong border, you will see strange things. It seems like the whole country is offset from the rest of the world.
It is.  Chinese law requires that all mapping be done in a special coordinate system that for national security purposes obfuscates the true location of anything being mapped.  South Korea also has cartographic restrictions, which is why it's rendered in that ugly raster map, businesses aren't clickable, and street view has no idea where you are.  Japan also has a less ugly raster map, so I wouldn't be surprised if they had similar restrictions.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Jordanes on February 08, 2018, 08:49:48 PM
Your map is fake. Bielefeld does not exist.

That's the point. It doesn't exist, so why it does appears in maps? I thought the same of Teruel, Spain, until I drove down there and found it does actually exist.
Quote from: andrepoiy on February 11, 2018, 10:58:00 PM
Google Maps in China isn't the best. The new G7 Jingxin Expressway still dosen't show on Google Maps.

FTFY and patience. China only gets updated once per year or so. If you want to see it, go to "Chinese Google" (Baidu) Maps.
Quote from: vdeane on February 12, 2018, 01:00:26 PM
South Korea also has cartographic restrictions, which is why it's rendered in that ugly raster map, businesses aren't clickable, and street view has no idea where you are.

If it wasn't for that ugly raster map, South Korea would be entirely blank, as shown by Street View (which shows "Google Inc." as the "address" everywhere).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

roadman

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 12, 2018, 01:03:07 PM

That's the point. It doesn't exist, so why it does appears in maps?

As maps are copyrighted, it's likely a fake legend to detect piracy.  A common practice in commercially published radio frequency lists (like Radio Shack's Police Call books) was to assign non-existent frequencies to agencies for this very same reason.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

hotdogPi

Quote from: roadman on February 12, 2018, 01:32:57 PM

As maps are copyrighted, it's likely a fake legend to detect piracy.  A common practice in commercially published radio frequency lists (like Radio Shack's Police Call books) was to assign non-existent frequencies to agencies for this very same reason.

whoosh
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

webny99

Quote from: 1 on February 12, 2018, 01:33:34 PM
Quote from: roadman on February 12, 2018, 01:32:57 PM

whoosh

It wasn't the joke he missed (in fact, there wasn't a joke); it was the thread title  :spin:

CapeCodder

The Jimapco New England Road Atlas features a Vermont State Route 1. Route 1 goes from US 2 to the Canadian Border on the Alburgh Tongue.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: webny99 on February 12, 2018, 01:50:18 PM
It wasn't the joke he missed (in fact, there wasn't a joke); it was the thread title  :spin:

Actually I didn't miss the thread title. Bielefeld does in fact exist, so the German road atlas I have is correct (and so do every paper and online map that includes it). However it is so little known despite its size, it gave rise to the Bielefeld Conspiracy. And I had to reference it here :sombrero:.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

webny99

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 12, 2018, 02:28:33 PM

Actually I didn't miss the thread title. Bielefeld does in fact exist, so the German road atlas I have is correct (and so do every paper and online map that includes it). However it is so little known despite its size, it gave rise to the Bielefeld Conspiracy. And I had to reference it here :sombrero:.

I guess I missed the joke too, then :-D
It seemed to me that Jordanes and roadman must not have read the thread title. I didn't realize the place really did exist.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 1 on February 08, 2018, 11:10:11 AM
Cross-posted from another thread:

Mysterious America Puzzle by formulanone, on Flickr

I can't wait to watch this year's Indianpous 50.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

JasonOfORoads

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 12, 2018, 04:03:03 PM

This map is crazy. They got "Albuquerque" right but included "Sait Lake City".
Borderline addicted to roadgeeking since ~1989.

US 89

Quote from: JasonOfORoads on February 12, 2018, 04:38:33 PM

Also, look where the star for Sait Lake City is.

webny99

Quote from: roadguy2 on February 12, 2018, 05:27:56 PM
(image snipped)

How about the star for Vegas?
(The location is bad enough, not to mention that it shouldn't even be a star  :-D).

Big John

And Wasington, D.C. touches the ocean.

Brandon

Gotta love how da UP is sporting a moderate stiffness on it's eastern end.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

webny99

Lake Ontario and Delaware both look rather deformed (and that puts it mildly).

And don't forget Hartford, CT, which is misspelled as "Boston"  :bigass:

Brandon

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

webny99

CapeCodder

Quote from: webny99 on February 12, 2018, 09:07:15 PM
Lake Ontario and Delaware both look rather deformed (and that puts it mildly).

And don't forget Hartford, CT, which is misspelled as "Boston"  :bigass:

Lake Michigan is a dagger, and I guess that there is some contested territory to the east of Michigan. The blue shading reminds me of disputed territory on maps, but there are no diagonal lines through it.

Jordanes

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on February 12, 2018, 02:28:33 PM

Bielefeld does in fact exist

LIES ALL LIES
Clinched 2di:
4, 5, 12, 16, 22, 24, 26, 35, 39, 40, 44, 59, 64, 65, 66, 68, 70, 72, 73, 74 (both), 75, 76 (both), 78, 79, 81, 82, 83, 84 (both), 85, 86 (both), 87, 88 (both), 89, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99

Almost clinched (less than 100 miles):
20, 30, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 71, 77, 80, 90, 91

Henry

Quote from: roadguy2 on February 12, 2018, 05:27:56 PM

Dailas, TX??? They have got to be kidding me!

And apparently, Kansas City does not exist in MO.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jeffandnicole

Apparently Maui (purple) is a different state from the other Hawaiian Islands (yellow).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.