News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-215 and Redwood Rd

Started by US 89, February 08, 2018, 12:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

US 89

UDOT will do a major project in North Salt Lake to improve traffic flow in I-215 and Redwood Rd. The project should last from early to fall 2018.

Major elements of this project will include:
-A new DDI will be constructed to replace the current diamond interchange between 215 and Redwood, at exit 27.
-The length of I-215 from 2100 North in Salt Lake City to I-15 will be rehabilitated, with replacement of two lanes of concrete in both directions, as well as the asphalt segment on the on-ramp to I-15.
-The entire Davis County length of Redwood Rd will be rehabilitated, and the part between I-215 and NSL Center St will be reconstructed and four-laned.

Project website

The Ghostbuster

Are there any other interchanges in the State of Utah that are DDIs?

Zonie

I-15 and UT 34 in St. George.

Rover_0

Also:

- UT-130 and I-15 at the south Cedar City exit
- US-91 at I-15/84 in Brigham City
- UT-232 and I-15 in Layton
- UT-154 (Bangerter Highway) and UT-201 (IIRC)

They're pretty popular here.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

US 89

In addition to the ones stated above, there are a few more:
- 500 South (UT-68) and I-15 in Bountiful
- Main St (UT-145) and I-15 in American Fork
- 500 East (UT-180) and I-15 in American Fork
- Timpanogos Highway (UT-92) and I-15 in Lehi

Quote from: Rover_0 on February 09, 2018, 07:35:37 PM
- UT-232 and I-15 in Layton

That's a SPUI, not a DDI.

triplemultiplex

UDOT was an early adopter of both SPUI's and DDIs, so they have a bunch of both kinds.  I think they even outnumber 'conventional' service interchange designs in Utah's urban areas.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

i-215

That's true.  The 1990s reconstruction lead to pretty much every interchange on I-15 in Salt Lake County to be a SPUI.  And new ones on Bangerter are all SPUIs.

US 89

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 13, 2018, 12:21:18 PM
UDOT was an early adopter of both SPUI's and DDIs, so they have a bunch of both kinds.  I think they even outnumber 'conventional' service interchange designs in Utah's urban areas.

UDOT seems to like using new designs. There's also the continuous-flow intersections (CFIs) on Bangerter and at the 5400 S/Redwood intersection.

There are also at least three Michigan lefts in Utah (which UDOT calls ThrU Turns).

Quote from: i-215 on February 13, 2018, 11:29:10 PM
That's true.  The 1990s reconstruction lead to pretty much every interchange on I-15 in Salt Lake County to be a SPUI.  And new ones on Bangerter are all SPUIs.

Which is why it's interesting that when I-80 was reconstructed between State and 13th East, none of the interchanges on that stretch (State, 7th, 13th) were converted to SPUIs. All three are still diamonds.

US 89

This project has grown to include a full concrete reconstruction of I-215 for the entire length north of SR-201. They're calling it "215 Renewed" , treating it as an extension of last year's full-scale reconstruction of the 215 southwest quadrant between 201 and 15. They've been running one lane traffic on it for the past few weekends now.

The project website is here, but good luck reading the gray text against the blue background.

andy3175

Quote from: US 89 on May 01, 2018, 10:36:34 PM
This project has grown to include a full concrete reconstruction of I-215 for the entire length north of SR-201. They're calling it "215 Renewed" , treating it as an extension of last year's full-scale reconstruction of the 215 southwest quadrant between 201 and 15. They've been running one lane traffic on it for the past few weekends now.

The project website is here, but good luck reading the gray text against the blue background.

It seems they started construction on April 15, 2018, and they expect construction to be completed by end of summer 2018 with construction typically overnight and on weekends with lane restrictions. I found the project innovation section to be interesting; never heard of "slab-jacking":

QuoteThis project will be using two innovative techniques to repair and prolong the life of the roadway. A concrete slab-jacking process will be used to level the roadway where material is injected underneath the concrete and then expands to raise the slab. A "cross-stitching"  technique will also be used to prevent separation between the concrete slabs on the roadway surface. This process is similar to "stitching a wound"  where rebar is installed underneath the seam to pull the slabs together.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.