News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

My First Ever Sign Photos

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, March 26, 2018, 10:04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Today with my iPhone 6 Plus, marks my venture into photography of road signs ever. Here are some...

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

renegade

Very nice pics.  The first two show a lot of the interior of the car.  I think the shot of East 60 is cool!

I usually hold my ipod (same as an iphone minus the phone) the other way so the pictures are widthwise, but that's just my personal preference.  Your mileage may vary.

:bigass:
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: renegade on March 27, 2018, 02:47:17 PM
Very nice pics.  The first two show a lot of the interior of the car.  I think the shot of East 60 is cool!

I usually hold my ipod (same as an iphone minus the phone) the other way so the pictures are widthwise, but that's just my personal preference.  Your mileage may vary.

The AR 60 I didn't realize it had a double take. Also, the AR 60 photo was taken at speed taking a corner and I was very pleased at how it turned out.

Thanks for the tip, but I had tried that and it was kinda weird shot-wise.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on March 27, 2018, 03:18:52 PM
Quote from: renegade on March 27, 2018, 02:47:17 PM

The AR 60 I didn't realize it had a double take. Also, the AR 60 photo was taken at speed taking a corner and I was very pleased at how it turned out.

Thanks for the tip, but I had tried that and it was kinda weird shot-wise.

Looks like you had HDR on which is probably why you had a duplicate.  I usually hold my phone width wise and crop out stuff I don't like such as windshield glare or my hood.  Having a flat dark object on your dashboard helps get rid of the glare. 

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Coming through Van Buren on Main St. (BUS US 71) AR 162 East.

AR 59 on Main St. in Van Buren.

This one is from AR 255 turning north.

Like what you see? Let me know your tips and tricks for photos with your phone to help me improve mine, and tell me what you would like to see. I live close to Garrison Av, so there are some concurrences on the Avenue. Most of you may have seen pictures from US71 (he lives in Fort Smith, as far as I know), but I would like to start getting into this and take some interesting shots. Thanks Max for the tip! I will have to check to see if I did turn HDR off.

iPhone

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on March 27, 2018, 03:28:19 PM

Looks like Southbound on Midland Ave in front of Shamrock Liquor.  :)

You appear to be a passenger, so maybe aim before you shoot. If you see something coming up, get your camera ready and try to time when you take the shot. I usually try to squeeze off 2-3 shots if I can and save the best. I've deleted a lot of photos of my foot and my floorboards.

The 60's turned out well. The one in front of the liquor store is tough because there's lots of traffic and it's hard to slow down for a good shot, but it doesn't look too bad. Overall, not bad for a first try. 
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on March 27, 2018, 04:20:31 PM

You appear to be a passenger, so maybe aim before you shoot. If you see something coming up, get your camera ready and try to time when you take the shot. I usually try to squeeze off 2-3 shots if I can and save the best. I've deleted a lot of photos of my foot and my floorboards.

The 60's turned out well. The one in front of the liquor store is tough because there's lots of traffic and it's hard to slow down for a good shot, but it doesn't look too bad. Overall, not bad for a first try.
It is Midland, but we came from the AR 255 approach, and we turned north. Yes, the photo is facing south, but we took the bridge to Van Buren.

US71

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on March 27, 2018, 04:26:44 PM
Quote from: US71 on March 27, 2018, 04:20:31 PM

It is Midland, but we came from the AR 255 approach, and we turned north. Yes, the photo is facing south, but we took the bridge to Van Buren.

Ah. I misinterpreted your post.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

It"˜s Wednesday and I get out at 3:00, so I guess I can get some signs on the Avenue(s) (Rogers + Garrison)

iPhone

TheArkansasRoadgeek

So, today I got some more signs AND traffic lights for our one person who loves them. I could probably say that they are all McCain, but I don't know...

Anyway!

Signs:

Traffic Lights:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180330/8a76f2f4cae556effa3effd55f69224f.jpg[/IMG]
-cdn.com/20180330/ddbb568891dbc0ba0047499e44c2cc8b.jpg[/IMG]

iPhone

US71

Were these drive-bys or on foot?

TheArkansasRoadgeek

froggie

I've never been a fan of photos of just the signs, or where the sign is the majority of the photo.  I prefer context.  The second 64/71B photo is not bad in this regard, though I'd have zoomed in a little in order to avoid the signal control box on the left.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: froggie on March 30, 2018, 04:12:00 PM
I've never been a fan of photos of just the signs, or where the sign is the majority of the photo.  I prefer context.  The second 64/71B photo is not bad in this regard, though I'd have zoomed in a little in order to avoid the signal control box on the left.
Thanks!

I was actually more focused (or rather, overly focused) on the fucking tree blocking the two signs :banghead:
Sorry, I actually was frustrated with that whole situation.

Damn trees!!! :banghead:

MNHighwayMan

Yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one. For most of my pictures, I like lining up the sign somewhere near the right 1/3rd, and letting the road and surrounding scenery fill up the rest of the picture.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

If you guys want context, I can get shots of Garrison all day! I enjoy it at night. The lighting on the Avenue is awesome! Not spectacular, but it isn't bad.

iPhone

froggie

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 30, 2018, 06:38:13 PM

Yes! I'm glad I'm not the only one. For most of my pictures, I like lining up the sign somewhere near the right 1/3rd, and letting the road and surrounding scenery fill up the rest of the picture.

I typically do something similar.

US71

I usually take 2-3 photos: one straight on, a couple with background. Many of my early photos were straight on or edited to be that way.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: US71 on March 30, 2018, 09:18:04 PM
I usually take 2-3 photos: one straight on, a couple with background. Many of my early photos were straight on or edited to be that way.
I have actually started doing the multiple takes to see how they look. I can surely add much more scenery to the photos though! Not a problem!

iPhone

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on March 30, 2018, 09:43:30 PM
Quote from: US71 on March 30, 2018, 09:18:04 PM
I have actually started doing the multiple takes to see how they look. I can surely add much more scenery to the photos though! Not a problem!

More pictures, the better! I've never felt like I've taken too many pictures, but I definitely know that there are things I've seen that I'd wished I'd taken pictures of, or more pictures of.

I will sometimes do straight-on pictures, particularly if they're interesting or unusual signs, or if the signpost is short enough that I can get veeeery up close and personal with it. A recent example I came across are these two different MN-238 shields with crooked digits. This kind of sloppiness is unusual for Minnesota state highway signage.

AsphaltPlanet

yeah, taking more than one photo is definitely not a bad idea... particularly if the photo was taken from a moving car.  Taking a second shot reduces the risk of getting a blurry shot... a camera can miss-focus, or the camera isn't held steady enough when the shutter was fired...
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

MNHighwayMan

When I'm on the side of the road, I usually take 3-4 shots from one position. Here, it's not so much for making sure the subject is in focus, but rather me trying to make sure I get the vertical perspective correct. Since all I have is my cell phone camera, it can be difficult to make sure I'm holding the phone properly (ie, as close to perpendicular with respect to the ground as possible). Taking multiple shots allows me to pick the one where I got the angle the best, but even then, I still sometimes end up editing the perspective later. Tip: if you're using a phone camera like me, most cell phones have an option to turn on grid lines, so you can accurately divide the shot into thirds. These lines also help in ensuring that vertical lines in the shot (like buildings and sign posts) are actually close to vertical in the final picture.

From a moving vehicle, usually I only get one chance because I try to time it just right. If I manage to get two shots off, the first one is usually too far from the subject to really be useful.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on March 31, 2018, 12:53:06 AM
When I'm on the side of the road, I usually take 3-4 shots from one position. Here, it's not so much for making sure the subject is in focus, but rather me trying to make sure I get the vertical perspective correct. Since all I have is my cell phone camera, it can be difficult to make sure I'm holding the phone properly (ie, as close to perpendicular with respect to the ground as possible). Taking multiple shots allows me to pick the one where I got the angle the best, but even then, I still sometimes end up editing the perspective later. Tip: if you're using a phone camera like me, most cell phones have an option to turn on grid lines, so you can accurately divide the shot into thirds. These lines also help in ensuring that vertical lines in the shot (like buildings and sign posts) are actually close to vertical in the final picture.

From a moving vehicle, usually I only get one chance because I try to time it just right. If I manage to get two shots off, the first one is usually too far from the subject to really be useful.
I have noticed my phone's camera comes with a reticule system for alignment purposes.

iPhone

TheArkansasRoadgeek

traffic light guy

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on March 29, 2018, 09:25:36 PM
So, today I got some more signs AND traffic lights for our one person who loves them. I could probably say that they are all McCain, but I don't know...

Anyway!

Signs:

Traffic Lights:

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180330/8a76f2f4cae556effa3effd55f69224f.jpg[/IMG]
-cdn.com/20180330/ddbb568891dbc0ba0047499e44c2cc8b.jpg[/IMG]

iPhone

The traffic lights are Eagle Durasigs

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.