News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-26 History Question

Started by mrpablue, March 28, 2018, 05:44:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adventurernumber1

There were probably a few reasons as to why I-26 has its number:

As someone else said, Interstate 26's original, initial routing was much more east-west than the modern, extended I-26 that now goes through the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee past Asheville. This section of it (much of which used to be I-181, a two-sided spur that connected I-81 with Kingsport and Johnson City) is no doubt the part of I-26 that has the most north-south traits. Before the extension, yes, I-26 was still a very diagonal (northwest to southeast in this case) interstate, but at that time, it was more ambiguous, in that it could have easily been a north-to-south or an east-to-west interstate.

When looking at the available numbers that were left in the grid, it was obvious that making this diagonal interstate an even-numbered (east-west treated) one was the way to go. This is because there was truly no odd numbers left (exactly zero) for north-south interstates east of I-75. It seems like there was not much of a choice with that to make I-26 an east-west, even-numbered interstate. As for the specific number 26, it is just one of many even numbers that could have correctly been chosen for this decidedly east-west interstate, because it crosses several interstates (including I-20 and I-40).

Also, Eth brought up another good point to think about here, that could have been yet another factor in the decision-making of I-26's number:

Quote from: Eth on March 28, 2018, 05:50:34 PM
Interstate numbers in and near the Carolinas make much more sense if you just reinterpret "north-south" to mean "parallel to the coast", and "east-west" as "perpendicular to the coast". That, I think, adequately explains the numbers 24, 26, 74, 81 (south of 64), 85, and the southern 87.

Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

mrpablue

I should also point out that I-26 and I-74 should never be so close to each other.

Tom958

And, the pre-Interstate route from Hendersonville, NC to Charleston via Spartanburg and Columbia was US 176, which is signed east-west. I suspect that the shortage of north-south Interstate numbers was the real deciding factor, but the US 176 thing could only have made it easier to swallow.

Now, what about I-385? Bear left toward Greenville off of westbound I-26 and you're going north? Along the route of US 276, which is signed east-west? Wassup with that?  :pan:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.