News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Rumors of a Kroger-Target Merger

Started by bing101, April 07, 2018, 05:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

signalman

Quote from: LM117 on April 08, 2018, 08:59:18 PM
10-20 years ago, Food Lion was actually a decent place to shop and the store brand products were nearly as good, if not the same, as the name brand products.
The store branded products are name brands in no frills packaging.  Do you honestly think that (insert store here) packages their own canned corn as an example?

SectorZ

Quote from: bandit957 on April 08, 2018, 01:50:11 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 08, 2018, 01:48:53 PMI never understood the point of over paying employees for jobs that are really meant for high school/college kids or people collecting Social Security.

But why shouldn't these workers be allowed to form a union?

In New England, the unionized grocery store (Shaw's) is the most expensive and teetering on bankruptcy. Market Basket sure as hell proved you didn't need a union. Their entire workforce went on a defacto strike to drive the inept co-CEOs out in favor of the original owner, and it worked. Market Basket is also the most affordable to shop at.

SectorZ

Quote from: froggie on April 09, 2018, 01:21:37 PM
Quote from: hbelkinsAs for Target, I've long said that I don't get the fascination with them, other than being a place that the Walmart haters like to go to make them feel better about themselves. I've found the prices to be much higher, the selection of merchandise smaller, and the quality no better than what's available at Walmart.

In comparing Target to WalMart, the old adage that "you get what you pay for" holds true.  Sure, Target's a little more expensive than Walmart (not by much, and certainly not at the level you're insinuating).   But in return, you get stores that are cleaner, less cluttered, faster checkout, and higher quality (my experience being opposite of yours) than WalMart.

Please visit the Target in Lowell, MA to see your worldview tainted just a bit. Worse than any Walmart I've been in.

hotdogPi

Quote from: SectorZ on April 09, 2018, 01:38:20 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 08, 2018, 01:48:53 PMI never understood the point of over paying employees for jobs that are really meant for high school/college kids or people collecting Social Security.

In New England, the unionized grocery store (Shaw's) is the most expensive and teetering on bankruptcy. Market Basket sure as hell proved you didn't need a union. Their entire workforce went on a defacto strike to drive the inept co-CEOs out in favor of the original owner, and it worked. Market Basket is also the most affordable to shop at.

Stop & Shop is also unionized. Is the same thing happening there?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

DaBigE

Quote from: hbelkinsAs for Target, I've long said that I don't get the fascination with them, other than being a place that the Walmart haters like to go to make them feel better about themselves. I've found the prices to be much higher, the selection of merchandise smaller, and the quality no better than what's available at Walmart.

In comparing Target to WalMart, the old adage that "you get what you pay for" holds true.  Sure, Target's a little more expensive than Walmart (not by much, and certainly not at the level you're insinuating).   But in return, you get stores that are cleaner, less cluttered, faster checkout, and higher quality (my experience being opposite of yours) than WalMart.

House brands maybe, but you'll get the same quality Ziploc bag at either store. Quality of the building, OTOH, is definitely different. None of the newer Walmarts I've been in have acoustical ceiling tiles over the main sales floor...same with carpeting. Even the remodeled Targets still have carpeting in the clothing departments. How clean the store is...that can go either way. I was in both stores last night and the Walmart was much cleaner and better-stocked than the Target. Both were in the same neighborhood. Same with the speed of checkout. At least Walmart adopted self-checkouts much earlier...now if we could only weed-out the technologically illiterate, I'd be in and out in no time.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Rothman

Stop & Shop was unionized, at least when I was a kid.  I would be surprised it it wasn't anymore.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SectorZ

Quote from: 1 on April 09, 2018, 01:40:58 PM

Stop & Shop is also unionized. Is the same thing happening there?

In terms of being super expensive, yes. Close to going under, no they're actually doing fairly well. I think the local market can take a Shaw's OR a Stop & Shop, but not both.

I excluded Stop & Shop before, not because it didn't prove my point, but because I wasn't 100% sure if they were still unionized.

LM117

Quote from: signalman on April 09, 2018, 01:22:42 PM
10-20 years ago, Food Lion was actually a decent place to shop and the store brand products were nearly as good, if not the same, as the name brand products.
The store branded products are name brands in no frills packaging.  Do you honestly think that (insert store here) packages their own canned corn as an example?

I can't speak for the other stores, but Food Lion's suppliers have definitely dropped the ball. There certainly has been a big drop in quality compared to most of the name brands, at least where food is concerned. Their non-food items (like paper towels, etc.) are still good.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

That's been my experience. The Target near me is much more organized and less stressful than Walmart. I don't mind going to the Walmart Neighborhood Markets, but the supercenters? Give me Target any day.

Pink Jazz

Here in Arizona, Fry's (Kroger's Arizona division) is usually one of the cheapest grocery stores.  Other than Walmart and Target, local competition includes Safeway/Albertsons, and Bashas', both of which are generally priced higher.

LM117

Quote from: hbelkins on April 09, 2018, 01:06:37 PM
Quote from: ThatRandomOshawott on April 08, 2018, 08:42:34 PMCon: The merged company would have LOTS of power, and it would be a headache for regional, smaller grocery stores like Hy-Vee and Food Lion.

Food Lion (aka Shitty Kitty) could use a good swift kick in the ass. Their prices have gotten more expensive, most of their store brand products aren't worth a shit and, lately, the attitudes of some of their employees (management included) leaves a lot to be desired.

Didn't Food Lion have an issue with tainted meat about 20-25 years ago?

Yep, in 1992.

https://www.rcfp.org/browse-media-law-resources/news-media-law/news-media-and-law-spring-2012/landmark-food-lion-case

Takumi

+1. The positives of Target vastly outweigh the maybe $5-10 a week I would save by going to Walmart.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bandit957

In the early '90s, Food Lion was caught putting Clorox on meat to make it look fresher.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Brandon

Quote from: bandit957 on April 09, 2018, 06:55:25 PM

In the early '90s, Food Lion was caught putting Clorox on meat to make it look fresher.

Actually, it was washed in bleach to kill the odors (read the linked article).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

SP Cook

BTW, unlike most chains, Kroger actually makes some of its "house brand" products.  Its corporate website outlines the various factories around the country.  Even has a peanut butter plant it co-owns with Wal-Mart. 

They used to have a soda/pop factory in Bluefield, VA, right on the state line, but it has since closed.

hbelkins

One thing I've noticed about Target is that just about every store I've ever been in has had very, very dim lighting, especially when compared to Walmart supercenters.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

oscar

Quote from: hbelkins on April 10, 2018, 10:33:05 AM
One thing I've noticed about Target is that just about every store I've ever been in has had very, very dim lighting, especially when compared to Walmart supercenters.

I haven't noticed that, and I really hate dim lighting so I think I would've noticed.

I'm not a fan of Target's higher prices (it's often pronounced in French, as "tar-zhay", to mock its pretensions to be better than Wal-Mart). But I shop there occasionally, especially since they usually have aluminum can recycling bins, which help in states (most of them between the west and east coasts) without recycle bins in rest areas.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Takumi

I've noticed the exact opposite. Could be a regional thing.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Takumi on April 10, 2018, 12:39:19 PM

Shouldn't be, Target is obsessive with making all stores alike.  They actually call it "Target Branding."    Anyone ever notice the complete lack of shopping music or pretty much any background noise at Target stores?

abefroman329

Reminds me of the Penn & Teller joke about Folger's and Smucker's merging: They're either gonna call it Smolger's or...they're gonna call it Smolger's.

hbelkins

Quote from: Takumi on April 10, 2018, 12:39:19 PM

Most recent Target stores I've been in are Bloomington, Ind., Barboursville, WV, Hamburg Pavilion in Lexington, and one other I'm drawing a blank on.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

The Targets I've been to tend to be brighter than the Wal-Marts I've been to, and I've been to both stores all across the country.

Scott5114

I try to avoid shopping at Target for groceries, because it's more expensive than both Walmart and Crest, our local grocery chain. But for durable home goods like towels, sheets, furniture, etc. I prefer Target because their products are usually designed better.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

LM117

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 10, 2018, 01:10:56 PMAnyone ever notice the complete lack of shopping music or pretty much any background noise at Target stores?

Yes and I hope it stays that way! Nearly every store I go into has shit (IMO) music blaring. I like to be able to hear myself think while I'm shopping. Even Dollar General and Family Dollar have their radios blaring. I don't need to hear Walker Hayes sing "You Broke Up With Me"  every time I set foot in Dollar General. :ded:

Takumi

Quote from: Max Rockatansky
Anyone ever notice the complete lack of shopping music or pretty much any background noise at Target stores?
Yep. As someone who works in retail and hears the same 100 or so songs 5 days a week, it is a welcome change.

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 10, 2018, 04:44:54 PM
I try to avoid shopping at Target for groceries, because it's more expensive than both Walmart and Crest, our local grocery chain. But for durable home goods like towels, sheets, furniture, etc. I prefer Target because their products are usually designed better.
I split my grocery shopping between Target and Aldi, because some things I frequently get are cheaper at each. They're very close to each other, so it's very convenient, and easier to get in and out than the local Walmart.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.