News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

County/parish clinching question

Started by cjk374, April 10, 2018, 08:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

Louisiana's St. Martin parish is split into 2 pieces because of a surveying error committed in the 1868 creation of Iberia Parish. So, even though the names are not official, we have a lower and upper St. Martin Parish.

So I have 2 questions:

1. Are there any other split counties out there?

2. Do you feel that you need to enter both halves of that split county/parish before you consider it clinched?
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

rlb2024

Monroe County in Florida has the Keys . . . and the southwestern part of the Everglades.  You have to go through at least 40 miles of Miami-Dade County to get from one part of Monroe to the other, unless you travel by boat.  And to me, one half counts as having clinched.

bassoon1986

Quote from: rlb2024 on April 10, 2018, 09:14:38 PM
Monroe County in Florida has the Keys . . . and the southwestern part of the Everglades.  You have to go through at least 40 miles of Miami-Dade County to get from one part of Monroe to the other, unless you travel by boat.  And to me, one half counts as having clinched.

Yes, but geographically, from mainland Florida across the water to the keys is all Monroe county. St. Martin Parish in LA is 2 pieces that are not connected.

iPhone

Scott5114

Weird. Why don't they just break Lower St. Martin Parish off on its own or merge it with Assumption Parish?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

NWI_Irish96

If it is a single unit administratively, then I consider having been in either part clinching it.

Does anybody think they have to have visited Point Roberts, Washington to say that they clinched Washington state?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

formulanone

Norfolk County, Massachusetts seems to similarly unusual borders, since some of the towns switched to different counties, or annexed to other counties over 200 years ago.

Not sure how that all works, to be honest.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 11, 2018, 09:27:15 AM
If it is a single unit administratively, then I consider having been in either part clinching it.

Does anybody think they have to have visited Point Roberts, Washington to say that they clinched Washington state?

Or do you have to go to Isle Royale to clinch Keewanaw County, Michigan?  No.
I agree that if you've been in any part of it, you've clinched it.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

jp the roadgeek

Clinching every town in South (Washington) County, RI, involves a trip on the Block Island Ferry to the town of New Shoreham.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

SP Cook

I always thought that, be it a county, state, or country, just being in said jurisdiction "clinched" said jurisdiction.  I don't count never left the airport plane transfers, which is why I don't count for myself Utah or Germany.

KEVIN_224

Connecticut's 8 counties aren't broken up like Massachusetts (re. Norfolk County) or needing an island to clinch (re. Block Island in southern Rhode Island).

A good example of isolation is Brookline, MA. It's part of Norfolk County, MA. Was it ever part of Middlesex County or with Boston in Suffolk County, MA?

TheHighwayMan3561

Minnesota has the Northwest Angle, which is part of Lake of the Woods County and that was also created by a surveying error. I haven't been to the Angle, but have been to the main part of LOTW County, which I consider to be a clinched county.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Duke87

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 13, 2018, 09:29:12 AM
A good example of isolation is Brookline, MA. It's part of Norfolk County, MA. Was it ever part of Middlesex County or with Boston in Suffolk County, MA?

Nope. The actual history here is that the city of Boston was originally much smaller. Take a look at this map from 1858.

When Roxbury, West Roxbury, and Dorchester were annexed by the city of Boston, they moved from Norfolk county to Suffolk county accordingly. This left Brookline, which chose not to be annexed, still in Norfolk county but disconnected from the rest of it.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.