News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

States or communities with the worst law enforcement officers

Started by roadman65, May 02, 2018, 12:33:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

The City of Detroit had an average response time 58 minutes a couple years ago.  The department essentially underfunded and overwhelmed by a crime ridden city that has become a quasi-ghost town.   There is a really terrible history with abusive practices especially in the late 1960s which were a large contributor to the 1968 riot. 

Flint1979

I'm pretty sure Detroit's response times have improved. The riots were in July 1967.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 21, 2018, 12:13:43 PM
I'm pretty sure Detroit's response times have improved. The riots were in July 1967.

I want to say that 58 minute window was circa 2010-2012 if I recall correctly.  I would imagine it has improved since the city went bankrupt but even half that time unacceptable for emergency response.  Isn't the national average typically around 10-13 minutes for response time.  And you're right I was more or thinking of the 68 World Series for whatever reason.

Flint1979

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 21, 2018, 12:22:35 PM

I want to say that 58 minute window was circa 2010-2012 if I recall correctly.  I would imagine it has improved since the city went bankrupt but even half that time unacceptable for emergency response.  Isn't the national average typically around 10-13 minutes for response time.  And you're right I was more or thinking of the 68 World Series for whatever reason.
I think ever since Mike Duggan took over as mayor things have improved in Detroit. Even if they cut the response time in half it's still pretty unacceptable to me too. I would think the average is around 10 minutes maybe and I guess it all depends I've called the police in Saginaw Township and they've arrived in 2 minutes, about 10 years ago a telephone pole caught fire in the middle of the night about two houses away from me, they got there within 2 minutes. Remember it this way, it was a three team race for the pennant in 1967 and the Tigers had two doubleheaders against the Angels on the second to last day and last day of the season and split both doubleheaders, had they won the two games they lost they would have won the pennant. The Red Sox won the pennant beating the Twins on the last two days of the season who finished with the same record the Tigers did and the White Sox were in the race too I guess so you could say a fourth team was in the race, then Detroit had the riots that same year and the next year it was on. Sadly Detroit has never fully recovered from the 1967 riots.

bugo

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 21, 2018, 09:26:28 AM
Your signature is missing your opinion on the Know-Nothings and the Bull Moose Party.

I'm waiting for the Aaroads Gestapo to throw the book at me. If they do, then they're even more authoritarian than I thought.

bugo

Quote from: hbelkins on June 21, 2018, 11:57:56 AM
Quote from: bugo on June 21, 2018, 05:47:56 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on May 02, 2018, 11:21:58 AM
His point, with which I concur, is that law enforcement agencies spend more time pursuing activities that generate revenue than they do fighting real, harmful, damaging-to-society crimes.

You mean like cannabis smoking?

I think the argument could be made that weed possession is more of a revenue-generating activity than anything else, especially in states where it has been decriminalized. It's still an offense for which a fine must be paid.

But it shouldn't be, and it eventually won't be. It will be legal nationwide in a few years. It's not a question of "if", it's a question of "when". Unless Trump declares himself to be a dictator and puts that elf Jeff Sessions in charge of the DEA.

bugo

That is why I own a gun. If somebody were to break into my apartment while I was home, I wouldn't even be able to call the cops right away, and when I finally did (if I weren't killed before I had the chance to) it would take 15-30 minutes before they arrived. I'd rather show them the weapon and strongly encourage that they leave, or if they had a weapon I'd just shoot them in the leg. Homey don't play around.

hotdogPi

Quote from: bugo on June 21, 2018, 12:47:01 PM

That is why I own a gun. If somebody were to break into my apartment while I was home, I wouldn't even be able to call the cops right away, and when I finally did (if I weren't killed before I had the chance to) it would take 15-30 minutes before they arrived. I'd rather show them the weapon and strongly encourage that they leave, or if they had a weapon I'd just shoot them in the leg. Homey don't play around.

I would think that if you didn't show a gun at all, they would take whatever they were trying to steal and then leave. Your stuff is gone, but you survived.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1 on June 21, 2018, 12:50:41 PM

I want to say that 58 minute window was circa 2010-2012 if I recall correctly.  I would imagine it has improved since the city went bankrupt but even half that time unacceptable for emergency response.  Isn’t the national average typically around 10-13 minutes for response time.  And you’re right I was more or thinking of the 68 World Series for whatever reason.

I would think that if you didn't show a gun at all, they would take whatever they were trying to steal and then leave. Your stuff is gone, but you survived.

Yeah, because that's worked out so well in the millions of crimes where the criminal attached the victim and took their wallet, phone, and other possessions.

bugo

But if I showed them that I had a gun, they would be more likely to leave and not steal anything from me.

Something that I don't understand is those signs that say "This home is PROUDLY gun-free!" Do they want to be robbed? They are asking for criminals to break into their house and do whatever they want to. You would have to be a special kind of idiot to have such a sign in front of your house.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1 on June 21, 2018, 12:50:41 PM

I guess that depends, if you're okay with being a victim then you're right.  For good, bad or indifferent a lot of people aren't and they end up fighting back.  I think for a lot of people it means more to then to actively resist than become a passive victim.  As silly as that might sound it would leave a bad taste in my mouth not to actively resist something like being burglarized gun or not. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bugo on June 21, 2018, 12:55:02 PM
But if I showed them that I had a gun, they would be more likely to leave and not steal anything from me.

Something that I don't understand is those signs that say "This home is PROUDLY gun-free!" Do they want to be robbed? They are asking for criminals to break into their house and do whatever they want to. You would have to be a special kind of idiot to have such a sign in front of your house.

Yes, but they would also be more likely to use a gun themselves if they had one.  That's what I was getting at with the post above.

Brandon

As of last year, it's down to 14.5 minutes and decreasing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Brandon

Quote from: bugo on June 21, 2018, 12:44:55 PM
His point, with which I concur, is that law enforcement agencies spend more time pursuing activities that generate revenue than they do fighting real, harmful, damaging-to-society crimes.

I think the argument could be made that weed possession is more of a revenue-generating activity than anything else, especially in states where it has been decriminalized. It's still an offense for which a fine must be paid.

But it shouldn't be, and it eventually won't be. It will be legal nationwide in a few years. It's not a question of "if", it's a question of "when". Unless Trump declares himself to be a dictator and puts that elf Jeff Sessions in charge of the DEA.

Which probably won't happen.

Sorry for the quasi-political sounding link, mods.
Trump says he is likely to support ending blanket federal ban on marijuana courtesy of the LA Times.
There's more if you just search for it.  He's also apparently at odds with Sessions.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

kkt

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 21, 2018, 12:59:27 PM

Yes, but they would also be more likely to use a gun themselves if they had one.  That's what I was getting at with the post above.

Yes.  Most of the home burglaries are pathetic druggies looking for stuff they can easily sell to buy a fix.  Most of them don't carry guns, but a few do, and if I go pointing a gun at them I might find them shooting at me.  Whatever of my crap they might grab is not worth anybody getting killed over.

bugo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 21, 2018, 12:59:27 PM

If somebody kicks down my door and they have a gun in their hands and I have my gun in my hands, I would shoot them. Since they had a gun, my life would be in danger and since my apartment only has one exit, I wouldn't be able to escape so if I shot them it would legally be self-defense. If there were ever a situation where it was a question of whether it was self-defense or not, I would err on the side of caution and not shoot them. But if they had a gun I would assume that they planned on killing me and I would waste them. I hope I never have to do it but if I had to I wouldn't feel any guilt or remorse.

bugo

Quote from: kkt on June 21, 2018, 01:05:52 PM
Yes.  Most of the home burglaries are pathetic druggies looking for stuff they can easily sell to buy a fix.  Most of them don't carry guns, but a few do, and if I go pointing a gun at them I might find them shooting at me.  Whatever of my crap they might grab is not worth anybody getting killed over.

If you have your gun pointed at them and they begin to move to point theirs at you, you can shoot them before they get it pointed at you. Milliseconds count in that sort of situation.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 21, 2018, 12:40:07 PM

I think ever since Mike Duggan took over as mayor things have improved in Detroit. Even if they cut the response time in half it's still pretty unacceptable to me too. I would think the average is around 10 minutes maybe and I guess it all depends I've called the police in Saginaw Township and they've arrived in 2 minutes, about 10 years ago a telephone pole caught fire in the middle of the night about two houses away from me, they got there within 2 minutes. Remember it this way, it was a three team race for the pennant in 1967 and the Tigers had two doubleheaders against the Angels on the second to last day and last day of the season and split both doubleheaders, had they won the two games they lost they would have won the pennant. The Red Sox won the pennant beating the Twins on the last two days of the season who finished with the same record the Tigers did and the White Sox were in the race too I guess so you could say a fourth team was in the race, then Detroit had the riots that same year and the next year it was on. Sadly Detroit has never fully recovered from the 1967 riots.

I'd honestly would like to see some new figures that are up to date.  Really the city going bankrupt was probably the best thing that could have happened to it.  Personally I don't think the state was strict enough with the oversight, it was a opportunity to fix a lot more of wrongs that have persisted for decades in how the city was managed. 

kkt

Quote from: bugo on June 21, 2018, 01:10:02 PM

If you have your gun pointed at them and they begin to move to point theirs at you, you can shoot them before they get it pointed at you. Milliseconds count in that sort of situation.

There are many ways that scenario can play out!  If they're breaking in and armed, they probably have their gun in their hand or in their belt already.  Since I don't carry a gun on my belt when I'm at home, it's much more likely they'll see me before I can get my gun out and ready to point at them, they would be scared that I would be shooting them, and shoot me first.

Even if I shot them first, I am not comfortable taking someone's life away who would just have taken a couple of hundred $ worth of stuff.

Going for a gun escalates the situation.

LM117

Quote from: hbelkins on May 02, 2018, 11:21:58 AMNow if you want to change the thread to "states or communities with the worst laws," we start with the People's Republic of Virginia, at least where traffic enforcement is concerned.

Agreed.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

vdeane

Quote from: kkt on June 21, 2018, 01:17:37 PM
Quote from: bugo on June 21, 2018, 01:10:02 PM

There are many ways that scenario can play out!  If they're breaking in and armed, they probably have their gun in their hand or in their belt already.  Since I don't carry a gun on my belt when I'm at home, it's much more likely they'll see me before I can get my gun out and ready to point at them, they would be scared that I would be shooting them, and shoot me first.

Even if I shot them first, I am not comfortable taking someone's life away who would just have taken a couple of hundred $ worth of stuff.

Going for a gun escalates the situation.

Even if you don't have a gun, wouldn't they shoot you if they see you?  They don't any witnesses to call the cops with a description to go after them when they're done, after all.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

abefroman329

Quote from: Brandon on June 21, 2018, 01:04:51 PM

Trump says he is likely to support ending blanket federal ban on marijuana courtesy of the LA Times.
There's more if you just search for it.  He's also apparently at odds with Sessions.
First he'd have to have a Republican Congress introduce legislation to end the ban.  The odds of that are close to zero.  And yes, there's also the small matter of his AG believing "good people don't smoke marijuana."

Barring a Libertarian takeover of the federal government, I think the best we'll ever get is a handful of states/jurisdictions where it's legal and a DEA/DOJ that choose not to enforce the federal ban in states/jurisdictions where it's legal.

hbelkins

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 21, 2018, 03:28:11 PM

First he'd have to have a Republican Congress introduce legislation to end the ban.  The odds of that are close to zero.  And yes, there's also the small matter of his AG believing "good people don't smoke marijuana."

Barring a Libertarian takeover of the federal government, I think the best we'll ever get is a handful of states/jurisdictions where it's legal and a DEA/DOJ that choose not to enforce the federal ban in states/jurisdictions where it's legal.

But what happens if there's some sort of "unless you, at the state level, outlaw XYZ, we will withhold X percent of federal money from you?" That's how states were pressured into passing any number of laws, including 0.08 BAC, primary seat belt laws, and a few others.

Does anyone know if open-container laws are a part of this? Kentucky banned open containers in vehicles a few years ago, which ended the time-honored tradition of a designated driver hauling around a bunch of his friends who were drinking while they cruised town.

I still don't understand how New Hampshire does without the federal money they forfeit by not having a seat belt law.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kkt

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 21, 2018, 03:28:11 PM

Sessions won't be AG forever.  And despite his words, they don't seem to be eager to followup with punishments for states that eliminated their state laws against pot for adults.  It wasn't that long ago that it was illegal in every state, and now there's a bunch where it's legal.  Removing marijuana from Schedule 1 would allow medical marijuana to be handled like prescription medicine instead of either black market or recreational pot stores in legal states.  It would also allow real medical research to be done, to either confirm or deny its medical effectiveness.

abefroman329

Quote from: kkt on June 21, 2018, 04:01:00 PM
Sessions won't be AG forever.

This is true.  However, I'm not optimistic that an AG candidate who was explicitly in favor of ending the federal ban on marijuana would make it thru a Senate confirmation, regardless of which party controlled it.

Quote from: kkt on June 21, 2018, 04:01:00 PMAnd despite his words, they don't seem to be eager to followup with punishments for states that eliminated their state laws against pot for adults.

Trump and Gardner have some sort of verbal agreement on that, but given the former's record as President, I don't think it's worth the paper it's written on.

I'm fully in favor of ending the federal ban.  Beyond the absurdity of the ban on its face, I think it's galling the way enforcement of the law varies widely based on who you are (I still remember when Washingtonian Magazine had the gall to run an adoring story about a perky white girl who sold weed and edibles to the city's power brokers, all while Washingtonians of color were rotting in jail for doing the same goddamn thing).  I just don't see either party having an incentive to end it, given how politically damaging it is to look "soft on crime."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.