News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The wrong way concurrency compilation thread

Started by TBKS1, May 02, 2018, 12:43:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WNYroadgeek

A couple of New York examples:

NY 34/NY 34B, Lansing: https://goo.gl/maps/atmiEtUegSq (Added bonus of also being a suffixed route overlapping its' parent)
NY 54/NY 415, Bath: https://goo.gl/maps/rfNeM28ipmiXZmBLA
NY 78/NY 98, Java: https://goo.gl/maps/Qv5KvAv3zk92

cpzilliacus

There's a short wrong-way concurrency in Middleburg, Snider County, Pennsylvania. 

U.S. 522 (signed North-South but really running East-West here) runs wrong-way with PA-104 for a few blocks through town.

Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

thspfc

There are two places in Wisconsin that I know of that have three different directions: I-39, US-51, US-10, and WI-66 near Stevens Point; and I-41, I-43, and I-894 in south Milwaukee. There may be more.

7/8

In Owen Sound, ON, Highway 6 and 21 have a wrong-way concurrency. According to thekingshighway.ca, it's the only one on Ontario's provincial highway system.

roadman65

Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 27, 2018, 08:07:29 AM
There's a short wrong-way concurrency in Middleburg, Snider County, Pennsylvania. 

U.S. 522 (signed North-South but really running East-West here) runs wrong-way with PA-104 for a few blocks through town.

US 209 Business and PA 611 are wrong way through Stroudsburg for two blocks.  From Ninth the Seventh Street the former US 209 and US 611 concurred with both being N-S routes.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ClassicHasClass

Surprised no one's mentioned I-80/I-580 in Berkeley, where the parent 2di is wrong-way multiplexed with a spur.

https://www.floodgap.com/iv/2247

PHLBOS

GPS does NOT equal GOD

kphoger

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 01, 2019, 09:31:06 AM

Quote from: 1 on May 02, 2018, 05:41:21 AMRI 114 with itself

:confused: Whereabouts is this one?

↓  See below  ↓

Quote from: kphoger on January 12, 2018, 02:38:16 PM
Google Maps doesn't show it and signage is severely lacking, which is probably why.  RI-114 has a crazily circuitous route through town, such that both directions of travel officially use the same short one-way segment of Broadway.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

There's also a short segment of US 60 in, I believe, Newport News, where westbound US 60 runs concurrently with eastbound US 60 for a short distance.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

ClassicHasClass

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on May 06, 2019, 04:02:13 PM
There's also a short segment of US 60 in, I believe, Newport News, where westbound US 60 runs concurrently with eastbound US 60 for a short distance.

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on May 06, 2019, 09:05:52 PM
^^^^
Is that signed??

Here you go.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ClassicHasClass

jakeroot

^^
That's a very strange setup, especially because westbound US-60 (apparently) does not run on Huntington, instead doing a sort of U-turn, to the north, between 28th and 29th before going over to Warwick.

Wouldn't this be better?

[TO]
[EAST]    [WEST]
[US-60]   [US-60]
  [<--]       [<--]

dfilpus

Quote from: jakeroot on May 06, 2019, 11:18:18 PM
^^
That's a very strange setup, especially because westbound US-60 (apparently) does not run on Huntington, instead doing a sort of U-turn, to the north, between 28th and 29th before going over to Warwick.
That U-turn between 28th and 29th has a "TO" banner. US 60 West is signed at Jefferson to cross on the 26th Street bridge, then left on Huntington and then left on 23rd, which becomes Warwick. None of these signs have "TO" banners.

jakeroot

Quote from: dfilpus on May 08, 2019, 03:52:37 PM
^^
That U-turn between 28th and 29th has a "TO" banner. US 60 West is signed at Jefferson to cross on the 26th Street bridge, then left on Huntington and then left on 23rd, which becomes Warwick. None of these signs have "TO" banners.

Seems needlessly complex. Not sure why it wouldn't just follow that U-turn route.

PHLBOS

Quote from: kphoger on May 06, 2019, 03:15:16 PM

↓  See below  ↓

Google Maps doesn't show it and signage is severely lacking, which is probably why.  RI-114 has a crazily circuitous route through town, such that both directions of travel officially use the same short one-way segment of Broadway.
If that short stretch is actually part of RI 114 for either direction; I'd be very surprised. 

Looking at Google Maps (granted, such could be incorrect); one would think that RI 114 northbound after crossing under I-95 would follow School St. to Broadway (left) to Main St. where it crosses the Blackstone River and turn right onto High St.

RI 114 southbound runs along the one-way portion of Main St. north of High St. (114 northbound) and continues along the two-way portion across the Blackstone River and turns right at the next intersection (School St.(?)) and crosses under I-95.

Note: RI 114 has a short concurrency w/RI 15 between School St. and Goff Ave.

Unless it was once an old routing and based on the above-description; how in the world would RI 114 be on Broadway northeast of School St.?

Additionally, I have to believe that this trailblazer assembly w/RI 15 and NORTH 114 signage along Underwood St. is erroneous.  One can't even make a right turn onto Exchange St.; where the erroneous trailblazer sign indicates that such is RI 15 eastbound.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

dfilpus

Quote from: jakeroot on May 08, 2019, 04:25:30 PM
^^

Seems needlessly complex. Not sure why it wouldn't just follow that U-turn route.
Agreed. Google Maps (not Streetview) has US 60 West turning right on Jefferson, left on 28th, around the U-turn and finally left on Warwick. The left at 28th and the left onto Warwick are not signed. The traffic logs have US 60 West on 26th until Warwick and on Warwick north of 26th, which requires vertical travel to follow the route.

kphoger

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 08, 2019, 04:35:57 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 06, 2019, 03:15:16 PM

↓  See below  ↓

If that short stretch is actually part of RI 114 for either direction; I'd be very surprised. 

Looking at Google Maps (granted, such could be incorrect); one would think that RI 114 northbound after crossing under I-95 would follow School St. to Broadway (left) to Main St. where it crosses the Blackstone River and turn right onto High St.

RI 114 southbound runs along the one-way portion of Main St. north of High St. (114 northbound) and continues along the two-way portion across the Blackstone River and turns right at the next intersection (School St.(?)) and crosses under I-95.

Note: RI 114 has a short concurrency w/RI 15 between School St. and Goff Ave.

Unless it was once an old routing and based on the above-description; how in the world would RI 114 be on Broadway northeast of School St.?

Additionally, I have to believe that this trailblazer assembly w/RI 15 and NORTH 114 signage along Underwood St. is erroneous.  One can't even make a right turn onto Exchange St.; where the erroneous trailblazer sign indicates that such is RI 15 eastbound.

I mapped that stretch based on the official routing of RI-114.
Male pronouns, please.

PHLBOS

Quote from: kphoger on May 08, 2019, 05:06:37 PMI mapped that stretch based on the official routing of RI-114.
Forgive me for being skeptical; but is there an actual document source or official map that shows that oddball routing?  No offense to anyone here, I'm not talking about blogs or hobby-enthusiast's sites (like this one) which was what I got via a Google search; but an actual, official site.  I even tried RIDOT but I couldn't even find a decent map on their website that actually shows how RI 114 (& even RI 15) is routed through Pawtucket.

Note: the Wiki account only shows someone's Google Map trip routings circa 2011-2012.

What's currently shown on Google Maps, correct or not, appears to be the most logical & direct routing of RI 114 through Pawtucket.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

plain

Quote from: dfilpus on May 08, 2019, 05:00:16 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 08, 2019, 04:25:30 PM
^^

Agreed. Google Maps (not Streetview) has US 60 West turning right on Jefferson, left on 28th, around the U-turn and finally left on Warwick. The left at 28th and the left onto Warwick are not signed. The traffic logs have US 60 West on 26th until Warwick and on Warwick north of 26th, which requires vertical travel to follow the route.

Google Maps pretty much got this whole thing screwed up (as you noted, what's seen in Streetview is indeed correct). Really the only point of that u-turn is so traffic originating from VA 143 WB can access US 60 WB (and also the northern end of the Shipyard) more efficiency. US 60 really does multiplex with itself. 
Newark born, Richmond bred

ErmineNotyours

Open Street Map makes a little more sense, because at least they distinguish state routes in orange.  114 makes a figure 8, then connects back crossing over itself.

I want to know why in Downtown there three public libraries within a block of each other.

jp the roadgeek

CT 57 and CT 107 in Wilton
CT 71 and CT 150 in Wallingford
CT 97 and CT 169 near the Taftville section of Norwich
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kphoger

Quote from: PHLBOS on May 08, 2019, 06:22:02 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 08, 2019, 05:06:37 PM
I mapped that stretch based on the official routing of RI-114.

Forgive me for being skeptical; but is there an actual document source or official map that shows that oddball routing?  No offense to anyone here, I'm not talking about blogs or hobby-enthusiast's sites (like this one) which was what I got via a Google search; but an actual, official site.  I even tried RIDOT but I couldn't even find a decent map on their website that actually shows how RI 114 (& even RI 15) is routed through Pawtucket.

Note: the Wiki account only shows someone's Google Map trip routings circa 2011-2012.

What's currently shown on Google Maps, correct or not, appears to be the most logical & direct routing of RI 114 through Pawtucket.

Doggone it, I can't for the life of me find the document I used to trace the route back when I made that original post.
Male pronouns, please.

sprjus4

I-73 / I-85 near Greensboro, NC, though it's a very short concurrency, and technically they could be considered as two separate roadways.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on September 13, 2019, 10:13:14 PM
I-73 / I-85 near Greensboro, NC, though it's a very short concurrency, and technically they could be considered as two separate roadways.
They could have made a better design because i'm not sure what they were thinking that time, I-73 should have directly went to I-85 at the interchange like this

http://prntscr.com/p5x448

Obviously some bad engineer designed the interchange like that. In my screenshot, this is how the freeway should have went and it would be up to interstate standards also.

If you make a fictional plan about it, I would love to see it!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.