News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Do you like Coleslaw?

Started by jeffandnicole, May 25, 2018, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you like coleslaw?

Yes
20 (39.2%)
No
26 (51%)
I prefer the thicker, chopped type
8 (15.7%)
I prefer the thinner, creamed cabbage type
8 (15.7%)
I gotta go off topic and want to talk about potato salad
8 (15.7%)
I like Macronni Salad
9 (17.6%)
If you like Macaroni Salad, spell it correctly
12 (23.5%)
What are you, the spelling police?
11 (21.6%)
Back on topic, I still want to vote for coleslaw, but I don't like vinegar in mine.  What option can I choose?
3 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 51

bugo

Quote from: csw on June 02, 2018, 10:16:14 PM
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 26, 2018, 10:05:42 PM
Quote from: bugo on May 26, 2018, 10:01:16 PM
I learned to appreciate a BBQ sandwich on plain white bread when I lived in Kansas City. Most BBQ joints there use Wonder bread. I still like buns, but there's something about some good BBQ on white bread.

It's because of the way it soaks up the meat juice and BBQ sauce.

A BBQ joint I went to in OKC a few years ago served all their meals with a whole loaf of white wonder bread.

What's the name? That sounds like my kind of place.

csw

Quote from: bugo on June 03, 2018, 07:22:02 PM
I learned to appreciate a BBQ sandwich on plain white bread when I lived in Kansas City. Most BBQ joints there use Wonder bread. I still like buns, but there's something about some good BBQ on white bread.

A BBQ joint I went to in OKC a few years ago served all their meals with a whole loaf of white wonder bread.

Rudy's on the south side of Norman. Not sure if it was because we had a decently large group or not but they gave us a loaf or two of bread. I also highly recommend Ray's in Norman.

bugo

Quote from: csw on June 03, 2018, 09:42:49 PM
Quote from: bugo on June 03, 2018, 07:22:02 PM

Rudy's on the south side of Norman. Not sure if it was because we had a decently large group or not but they gave us a loaf or two of bread. I also highly recommend Ray's in Norman.

Thanks. I'll have to try it next time I'm in the OKC area.

slorydn1

I love cole slaw, and macaroni salad, and potato salad-though with all 3 it depends on who is making it.

What I mean by that is, some people ruin it by putting a dump truck full of sugar in their recipe.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

sparker

Hate the shit! -- period!  Raw cabbage and buttermilk -- two of my least favorite things blended together in a hellish combination.  If on a menu, will always ask for potato salad or mac salad as a replacement (or fries, if that's an option). 

Now -- potato salad -- that's another thing altogether, if done right.  Don't like the usual mayo/vinegar variety (Reser's, this means you!).  My late uncle (channeling the Greek side of the family) made the best potato salad I can recall.  Mayo & yellow mustard mixed about equally, chunky boiled red potatoes, chopped celery, LOTS of sliced hard-boiled eggs, some spices & a couple pinches of salt, and finely chopped green onion.  Tried to duplicate it myself on numerous occasions, but with varying results.  Occasionally Safeway will have one of their sporadically-available "signature" mustard potato salads at their deli counters that comes reasonably close -- but that's been hit-or-miss as of late.  Also -- there was a mac salad made at a "hofbrau" up in S.F.'s Fishermens' Wharf that was outstanding -- a base of mixed mayo and Miracle Whip (a little sweet but not overly so) -- chopped white onion, minced red & green bell peppers, and decent elbow pasta.  Just the thing with a chunky pastrami hofbrau-type French dip sandwich.  Now THAT can be duplicated with relative ease (the originating establishment isn't there anymore -- my love for the stuff started with college trips to S.F. and vicinity in the late '60's). 

P.S. -- Like cooked cabbage -- as in corned beef and............

abefroman329

If someone started making potato salad with, say, olive oil, I would eat that by the bucketful.

TheHighwayMan3561

I like potato salad, however I cannot eat most varieties because of the hard boiled eggs. Even when I muse about it at the store and the container ingredient list doesn't indicate it has chunks of egg, I feel I can't confidently buy it since there's no way to tell without biting into it.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Buck87

I like vinegar based coleslaw, but don't care for the creamy kind.

slorydn1

Quote from: abefroman329 on June 21, 2018, 04:54:57 PM
If someone started making potato salad with, say, olive oil, I would eat that by the bucketful.

When I was a young child, my mom made it this way-vinegar and olive oil. And yes, I did eat as much of it as I could squeeze in. She stopped doing that when things like slaw and potato salad became more readily available pre-packaged in grocery stores. I had forgotten all about this until you mentioned it.

I guess my wife will be having to attempt to make some potato salad this way this weekend!
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

roadman65

Go to a hot dog stand in Macon, GA and they serve it on the hot dog itself. NuWay I believe is the place.

However, I heard that its a common thing in Georgia and South Carolina though!  Do not know how common, but its rumored as that!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

abefroman329

Quote from: roadman65 on July 03, 2018, 01:45:28 PM
Go to a hot dog stand in Macon, GA and they serve it on the hot dog itself. NuWay I believe is the place.

However, I heard that its a common thing in Georgia and South Carolina though!  Do not know how common, but its rumored as that!

That's how hot dogs are served at The Varsity, too.

LaVitaEBella

I love coleslaw especially when I am eating grilled and fried food.

Road Hog

I like coleslaw but will usually choose fries as a side when I go eat at Popeyes.

bugo

Potato salad and coleslaw are gross. I'm not a fan of vegetables and these two dishes make them even worse. I don't like sauerkraut, or anything with cabbage in it either. I won't eat something that smells worse coming in than it does coming out.

Nexus 5X

roadman65

I love the coleslaw at Long John Silvers and Miller's Ale House in FL. :sombrero:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

qguy

I generally like any kind of cole slaw as long as it has actual flavor. Sometimes you taste someone's slaw and all you taste is raw cabbage, if that. I do prefer the more finely chopped.

Here in the north (pretty much anywhere in Pennsylvania) creamy and finely chopped is called "Dixie-cut." Is it called that down south as well?

cjk374

Quote from: qguy on July 07, 2018, 04:44:44 PM
I generally like any kind of cole slaw as long as it has actual flavor. Sometimes you taste someone's slaw and all you taste is raw cabbage, if that. I do prefer the more finely chopped.

Here in the north (pretty much anywhere in Pennsylvania) creamy and finely chopped is called "Dixie-cut." Is it called that down south as well?

I haven't heard that term before. In fact, I have seen more coarse cut cole slaw down here than I have fine cut. I usually call fine cut cole slaw "fast food" cole slaw (usually seen at KFC & Popeyes).
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.