News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Numbered highways that must exit freeways to continue

Started by ErmineNotyours, May 27, 2018, 06:59:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kulerage

Quote from: Super Mateo on May 30, 2018, 10:37:09 PM
It might be shorter to list the US Routes that don't do this.

Haha, that is certainly the truth by the looks of it.

23:  Maybe
25:  Don't know
23 has the reverse, where the Interstate it travels on (26) ends, however 25 does in fact leave (the same interstate, on the same part even)

US 89

It might be shorter to list the US Routes that don't do this.

To be fair, I think the OP was going for TOTSO situations only, where a route exits its own freeway, because of this:
Quote from: ErmineNotyours on May 27, 2018, 06:59:05 PM
Not included are multiplexes that enter/exit a more dominant freeway.

That said, the discussion seems to have broadened into every situation where a route leaves a multiplex on a freeway. In Utah this happens to I-80 and 84, US-6, 50, 89, 189, and 191, and UT-30.

hotdogPi

US 3 in New Hampshire. The freeway continues as the unnumbered Everett Turnpike.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

bzakharin

Well, in that case, some (I think) not mentioned in NJ:
US 40 exits I-295 together with the NJ Turnpike. Then it exits the Turnpike almost immediately.
US 130 has a multiplex with I-295
US 46 exits itself in both directions. The thru freeway becomes NJ 20 north of this and NJ 21 south
US 1/9/46 multiplex ends southbound with 46 remaining the thru freeway
All of the above multiplex with I-95 as well
US 206 exits the afore-mentioned US 202/206 multiplex southbound shortly before US 202 ceases to be a freeway
I-676 and US 30 split up right after entering NJ, though it's not clear which one is the thru freeway there
There is an I-78/US 22 multiplex
Also I-287/NJ 17
I-80/US 202
I'm sure I'm missing some

mgk920

Among the numerous examples of this here in Wisconsin, likely the most interesting is WI 29 in the Green Bay area.  WI 29 exits its freeway at Packerland Dr to continue eastward into Green Bay as Shawano Ave, while the major cross-state highway that it followed from I-94 a bit west of Eau Claire continues on one more interchange eastward to I-41 as WI 32.

Mike

TheHighwayMan3561

MN 5 in Eden Prairie where it joins I-494. It counts to me because it predated US 212, where a formerly unnumbered route connected 494/5 and US 212 before the new US 212 alignment opened.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

RobbieL2415

Here's the ones I know of:
CT: US 1 with I-95, US 5 with CT 15, US 6 with I-84 (multiple times), US 6 with CT 8, US 7 with I-84 in Danbury, US 44 with US 6 in Bolton, US 202 with US 7, I-84 and CT 10, CT 2 and CT 32 outside Norwich

RI: US 6 and RI 10 in Providence.

MA: I-95 and MA 128 near Danvers (?), I-91 and US 5 in Springfield

NY: NY 17 (temporarily) leaving I-86 in the vicinity of Windsor, though some shields are visible,

hotdogPi

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on June 01, 2018, 04:35:05 PM
MA: I-95 and MA 128 near Danvers (?)
Peabody

NY: NY 17 (temporarily) leaving I-86 in the vicinity of Windsor, though some shields are visible,
Where does NY 17 exit the freeway?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

AMLNet49

Imo none of the Interstate ones should exist. Beginnings and ends of concurrencies between Interstates should not have an exit number (except from the direction where you are joining the concurrency) because two equal routes splitting should be treated equally even if one leaves on a low-speed ramp. In the case of a TOTSO where the Interstate exits on a loop ramp and a state or US route continues the mainline, the mainline should be an "exit"  with a number and lane distribution arrows, but no "exit only"  since you don't have to slow down. At the same time the TOTSO ramp should have speed warnings and such, but no exit no tab and no upright arrow. I don't mind the downward angled arrow though.

On a seperate note I feel like concurrencies between Interstates, beyond having both ends of the concurrency unnumbered, should either have unnumbered exits for the duration of the concurrency, or have their own exit number sequence and mileage, or maybe post the exit numbers from both routes but that would be confusing. And to answer your question about situations like I-287 or the Capitol Beltway, in the case of the beltway it basically already has its own sequence because of the state line right near the beginning of the concurrency. As for I-287, I would just get rid of the concurrency altogether because there is effectively a New York 287 and a New Jersey 287 which I would just split up. We can overlook the "no duplicates"  rule for the 50 feet of the New Jersey 287 that connect into NY to 87.

hbelkins

IL 53 does this. It exits the freeway at Dundee Road, yet the freeway continues another mile or so to Lake-Cook Road.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mgk920

Quote from: ilpt4u on May 27, 2018, 11:49:41 PM
I'm just going to say: I-74 and every US and IN route that goes around Indy on the I-465 Beltway

Also I-465 itself - going anti-clockwise around the city, in the northwest corner I-865 is the 'straight ahead' route and I-465 exits to continue southward in its endless trip around the city.

Mike

mgk920

Quote from: ibagli on May 29, 2018, 02:10:37 AM
Quote from: CrystalWalrein on May 27, 2018, 07:45:17 PMHowever, what first came to mind were OH 16 and OH 37. OH 16's freeway goes on as OH 161 west of Granville.

That whole situation is going to get even sillier once all the exits are numbered (right now only three are in Licking County). I think there's probably going to be a stretch of exits numbered something like 57-105-27.

Does ODOT have any plans to give that highway a single route number (ie, the lowest available 'OH x70' number)?

:hmmm:

Mike

TEG24601

Quote from: mgk920 on June 03, 2018, 10:59:16 AM
Quote from: ilpt4u on May 27, 2018, 11:49:41 PM
I'm just going to say: I-74 and every US and IN route that goes around Indy on the I-465 Beltway

Also I-465 itself - going anti-clockwise around the city, in the northwest corner I-865 is the 'straight ahead' route and I-465 exits to continue southward in its endless trip around the city.

Mike

It still bothers me that they gave a designation to an over-glorified ramp.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

The High Plains Traveler

U.S. 75 exits itself at LeMars IA, and the freeway (which soon becomes an expressway) continues as IA-60. The exit number is the mile point for U.S. 75. Since Iowa has a couple of state highways that run concurrent with U.S. routes for continuity, I would run 60 all the way south to the Nebraska state line along U.S. 75., and redo the exit numbers along 60 north of LeMars to count from the state line at Sioux City.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

ilpt4u

At the North end, IL 53 exits the IL 53 Freeway, at Dundee Rd, and the IL 53 Freeway (presently) continues one more exit to its terminus @ Lake/Cook Rd...whoops missed that hbelkins already pointed this out

And US 41 leaves the Northern Lake Shore Drive Freeway @ Foster Ave, and the Freeway/Parkway continues to Hollywood Ave

If that is the spirit here, numbered routes that exit the Freeway they are associated with...

To take it a step further, I-355 doesn't turn off the Freeway it is associated with...It just ends. And the IL 53 Freeway north of there is known as I-290/IL 53 (to I-90) and just IL 53 to either Dundee or Lake/Cook Roads, depending on how the question is asked. The I-355/IL 53 North-South Freeway Corridor is treated as one Freeway on Chicagoland Traffic Reports, and I-355 to I-290 is given the "thru route" design at their Y Interchange

Onto STL...I-70 (now) exits off the Mark Twain Expressway to cross the Mississippi on the newer Stan Musial Bridge. The I-44 designation was extended north from its former terminus @ I-55 to its new terminus @ I-70 @ the Stan Span. But I believe the Mark Twain Expressway extends from the Poplar Street Bridge Missouri side interchange out to at least the Airport and I-170, if not 270

What about things like Interstates exiting one Freeway route to join/create another? I-95 and the NJ (and soon PA) Turnpike? I-76 and I-70 and PA Turnpike? I-76, I-80, and I-90 and the Ohio Turnpike? I-80 and the Indiana Toll Road & the Borman Expressway? I-80 and I-94 and the Tri-State Tollway, to name a few?

roadman

MA: I-95 and MA 128 in Peabody

MA 128 continues as a freeway north of the I-95/MA 128 split in Peabody.  It leaves the freeway, but continues as a numbered route, at Grant Circle in Gloucester.

Another one for Massachusetts is US 3 south in Burlington, where it leaves the I-95 freeway and continues as a conventional road into Cambridge.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

sparker

Got an unusual example out here in CA:  NB CA 2, for several miles its own ("Glendale") freeway, exits onto I-210 EB for about a mile and then exits onto Angeles Crest Highway to head up into the San Gabriel mountains.  And several dozen miles west, CA 118 and CA 23 must exit -- mutually! their joint (although not originally planned that way!) freeway to head, respectively, WB and NB.  And -- although this is being "fixed" as we speak and is the subject of a thread in SW -- CA 58 does a similar thing to CA 2 above, but this time segueing NB on CA 99 for a couple of miles before exiting to a surface street in order to continue WB.     

PHLBOS

Quote from: bzakharin on May 31, 2018, 09:26:44 AM
Well, in that case, some (I think) not mentioned in NJ:
US 40 exits I-295 together with the NJ Turnpike. Then it exits the Turnpike almost immediately.
US 130 has a multiplex with I-295
US 46 exits itself in both directions. The thru freeway becomes NJ 20 north of this and NJ 21 south
US 1/9/46 multiplex ends southbound with 46 remaining the thru freeway
All of the above multiplex with I-95 as well
US 206 exits the afore-mentioned US 202/206 multiplex southbound shortly before US 202 ceases to be a freeway
I-676 and US 30 split up right after entering NJ, though it's not clear which one is the thru freeway there
There is an I-78/US 22 multiplex
Also I-287/NJ 17
I-80/US 202
I'm sure I'm missing some
NJ 42 & the AC Expressway: north of the interchange, NJ 42 is the North-South Freeway; south of the interchange, NJ 42 is the Black Horse Pike & the freeway becomes the AC Expressway.  Note: north of the interchange, the Black Horse Pike is NJ 168.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

TheStranger

Other California examples not mentioned yet:

US 101 does this in San Francisco along the Central Freeway; since 1989, it has exited to the South Van Ness/Duboce/Mission ramps while the freeway continues west, originally to Fell Street but since 2005 to Market and Octavia.

When the barely-signed south portion of Route 170 existed in Hollywood, 170 essentially used the Hollywood Freeway from I-5 in San Fernando to the Highland Avenue exit off the US 101 segment, then Highland to Route 2.

Route 47 does this twice in the Terminal Island area: first switching via diamond interchange from the Seaside Freeway to the Terminal Island Freeway/Route 103 (Seaside Freeway continues east as Interstate 710), and then exiting at Henry Ford Avenue off of the Terminal Island Freeway

Route 54 kinda does this in San Diego, where the through lanes of the South Bay Freeway become part of a brief concurrency with Route 125, followed by the Jamacha Boulevard exit where 54 splits off.  Not sure if any of the Jamacha portion of 54 is still a state route though.

Chris Sampang

jp the roadgeek

NY 9A does this twice.  It exits the Henry Hudson Parkway at the very north end onto Broadway, and in Westchester County exits the Peekskill Expressway twice; once near the southern end and another in Croton on Hudson.  In all cases, it either joins or leaves its parent.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

nexus73

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on May 27, 2018, 06:59:05 PM
I'm a new member and taking in all the forums in a short time.  I saw this topic mentioned somewhere here, but never found the actual thread.  If it exists, it's too old to continue anyway.

Notice that in Washington State, the mileage continues on the bridge over/under the same intersecting highway, and not down the enter/exit ramps, which would vary depending on direction. Not included are multiplexes that enter/exit a more dominant freeway.

Washington State:

SR 422 at Tennant Way: West 422 must exit or it continues as Tennant Way, a City of Longview street. This interchange is at the south end of SR 411, and itself soon ends at the short SR 433, the Lewis and Clark Bridge over the Columbia River.  Diagram  Google Maps

US 101 at SR 8: Northbound 101 must exit or continue as SR 8.  Southbound 101 narrows to one lane and becomes an on ramp.  Diagram

SR 7 at S 38th Street: This is the end of a stub built as part of the Intersate 5 project.  The proposed freeway would have gone to Parkland before rejoining surface SR 7.  There is also a diamond-shaped patch of trees visible on Google Maps that was to be the cloverleaf interchange with SR 512, but the freeway is now so abandoned that someone has built condos just south of where the freeway would have gone through.  Diagram

SR 509 at Des Moines Way South: Southbound traffic missing the exit continues on past the south end of Sea-Tac Airport. Temporary end pending new freeway construction  Diagram

SR 99 at First Avenue Bridge: At the north end of the freeway, north traffic must wait at a left turn light and then use an on ramp to the bridge.  South 99 must exit from near the north end of SR 509 and make a nearly complete helix before waiting at the light for north 99 turns.  Diagram

SR 504 at Coldwater Ridge Visitor Center, near Mt. St. Hellens.  This one puzzles me.  I've never been there, but I don't see why this interchange exists unless there is steep terrain or high volumes expected.  Eastbound 504 must exit or continue to the visitor center, though there is a second chance left turn available.  Westbound uses the cloverleaf, which is part of the official highway mileage.  Diagram  Google Maps

No longer qualifies:

SR 99 at SR 599 and Marginal Way East:  South traffic used to have to exit to Pacific Highway South/International Boulevard or continue as 599.  Now 99 has been deleted south of here to the junction with SR 518, with no listed or official multiplexing.  Diagram

Oregon:

I-5 at I-405 (south end) and Harbor Drive.  South I-5 exits on a flyover, while left lanes continue on as I-405.  North I-5 exits while left lanes continue as Harbor Drive.  I-5 alignment was planned as being on the west side of the Willamette River.  Though the removal of that freeway is much celebrated by Portland residents, I-5 still dominates the east side of the river. Google Maps

I-84 westbound at I-205: left lanes continue as I-205.  This was in anticipation of the canceled Mt. Hood freeway. Google Maps

US 12 in Washington does what you describe in its western section. The freeway section continues toward Olympia as SR 8 while US 12 heads for I-5 at Grand Mound.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

roadman65

Here's the ones I know of:
CT: US 1 with I-95, US 5 with CT 15, US 6 with I-84 (multiple times), US 6 with CT 8, US 7 with I-84 in Danbury, US 44 with US 6 in Bolton, US 202 with US 7, I-84 and CT 10, CT 2 and CT 32 outside Norwich

RI: US 6 and RI 10 in Providence.

MA: I-95 and MA 128 near Danvers (?), I-91 and US 5 in Springfield

NY 17 does leave its freeway at Woodbury where it then heads south as a four lane arterial and continues into NJ (though now a short concurrency on the Thruway at Hillburn).  Maybe not at where you describe, but several miles to the east.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

ErmineNotyours

Found another one.  In Everett, Washington, US 99 used to go straight from the Snohomish River Bridge down Broadway, but in the mid 1990s a naval base opened up on the waterfront (where naval bases tend to congregate) and so SR 529, the successor to US 99 was rerouted to the base, making the state pay for two new bridges over railroad tracks.  I doubt anyone going directly between Downtown Everett and Marysville would follow the new SR 529 routing just because it is a state highway.  Interchange Viewer.

mgk920

bing101

I-80 in West Sacramento has to exit US-50/I-305 on the eastbound direction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.