News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Making Your Own Signs

Started by US71, June 20, 2018, 08:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Has anyone ever made their own street signs?

In High School I made a street sign for 114th Ave and 192nd St in Mokena. At the time, the 2 streets met each other with 114 running a block before turning into 193rd. Just a tiny subdivision at the time, but that was (mumble) years ago, and I barely recognize anything now on GSV.

Since there was no street sign, I made a wooden arrow sign ===> out of some scrap lumber my dad had laying around the house. I then walked it across the nearby field and set the sign in place. Sadly, it didn't last long. Within a few weeks, it was propped up against a tree. A few months later, it had disappeared.

My dad was totally unaware and I'm not sure my mom knew what I was doing. I never said anything, to my knowledge.

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

RobbieL2415

I would like there to be uniform signs for driver/passenger laws. So, like a prohibatory sign for texting and driving, a prohibatory sign for drunk driving, and regulatory signs for seatbelts requirements, graduated DL curfew hours, etc.

Scott5114

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on June 21, 2018, 04:34:10 PM
I would like there to be uniform signs for driver/passenger laws. So, like a prohibatory sign for texting and driving, a prohibatory sign for drunk driving, and regulatory signs for seatbelts requirements, graduated DL curfew hours, etc.

That's cool, but not remotely on topic.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

Quote from: RobbieL2415 on June 21, 2018, 04:34:10 PM

Maybe he meant to post it somewhere else.
I think it sounds relevant to another active topic, I just can't remember which one.

To answer the actual question, no, I haven't made my own physical signs on anything more durable than paper. I made and posted some trail markers in the nearby woods once, but that's about the extent of it.

cjk374

As as child, I had an area of red dirt that I had turned into my highway "layout". I made all of my signs out of the brown cardboard that you find as the back of a notebook. I had an interstate that was actually an oval (beltway perhaps?) and I used a white sandy type of dirt that represented concrete. My BGSs had popsicle sticks glued to the back to represent the steel posts they were mounted to. (my BGSs were actually cardboard brown as I never painted them) I used the straightest twigs as sign posts for all other signs.

Good times.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

sbeaver44

I actually made 2 a few years ago.  Found some blank sheet metal at Lowe's, along with some primer and spray paint.  It took a lot of time, but it was fun.  I made a Pennsylvania-style county line sign, and attempted a US 15 sign.  The US 15 sign had a paint bubbling issue in one corner, otherwise, it would have turned out fine.

Nexus 6P

Max Rockatansky

Back in the Connecticut days when I was a kid we were having issues with people speeding down the street.  My Dad was pretty much the neighborhood handyman and pretty much could build almost anything provided he had the materials.  We actually went a sheet metal supplier in town and bought enough to build ten speed limit signs.  My Dad and I made a stencil and used reflective paint he special ordered.  We even spent an afternoon taking the S10 up the street installing the Signs.  All I did was pretty much what my Dad told me too, I was probably 10 if I remember right.  I picked up a ton of trade stuff from my Dad but I'm nowhere nearly as talented as he was.  The guy was a software designer, I'm not sure where he learned all the things he did. 

A recent one I had a hand in was parking lot signs for my building out in Orlando when I was living there.  I didn't make the signs but I designed the 12x18 and 24x24 graphic which displayed company parking and no trespassing.  I took the designs to an FDOT contractor I knew who gave me a good deal on a bulk purchase.  I still have dibs on one of the 24x24 signs once they are decommissioned likely in 5 years or so.  I have the graphics still on my old lap top. 

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 25, 2018, 02:41:59 PM
Back in the Connecticut days when I was a kid we were having issues with people speeding down the street.  My Dad was pretty much the neighborhood handyman and pretty much could build almost anything provided he had the materials.  We actually went a sheet metal supplier in town and bought enough to build ten speed limit signs.  My Dad and I made a stencil and used reflective paint he special ordered.  We even spent an afternoon taking the S10 up the street installing the Signs.  All I did was pretty much what my Dad told me too, I was probably 10 if I remember right.  I picked up a ton of trade stuff from my Dad but I'm nowhere nearly as talented as he was.  The guy was a software designer, I'm not sure where he learned all the things he did.

So what was the result of the homemade fake signs? Gone in a few days or did action come about from the town?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Mr. Matté on June 25, 2018, 06:06:24 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 25, 2018, 02:41:59 PM

So what was the result of the homemade fake signs? Gone in a few days or did action come about from the town?

Nothing, we were gone by 1996 and when I last visited in 1998 they were still in place.  Wasn't exactly in an area that would be popular for sign theft and it was too remote from downtown New Milford probably for anyone in the town government to care.  If I was 10 when the signs went up it more than likely mid-year 1993. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.