News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

FL: Seminole County To Install "Speed Cushions" (New Product)

Started by Brian556, June 26, 2018, 11:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

The biggest issue in the Orlando Area is the total lack of viable through roads.  Its difficult to find a surface road that doesn't dead-end suddenly at a lake or isn't routed through some sort of neighborhood.  Seminole County was slightly better than Orange County but not by much.  I get it that people ought not to be speeding through neighborhoods but its symptomatic of a much larger issue with the road grid.  The fact that I-4 is the only freeway limited access road tends to keep people on surface routes more than most metro areas also.

Brian556

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 26, 2018, 11:14:23 PM
The biggest issue in the Orlando Area is the total lack of viable through roads.  Its difficult to find a surface road that doesn't dead-end suddenly at a lake or isn't routed through some sort of neighborhood.  Seminole County was slightly better than Orange County but not by much.  I get it that people ought not to be speeding through neighborhoods but its symptomatic of a much larger issue with the road grid.  The fact that I-4 is the only freeway limited access road tends to keep people on surface routes more than most metro areas also.

Agreed.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

SP Cook

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 26, 2018, 11:14:23 PM

Warning, rant:

100% great post. 

And this is what the predicate, IMHO, for a good fictional highways discussion should be.  Identify a legitimate need in the transportation system and discuss new constructions that would make people's and businesses' situations better.

Rather we get pointless discussion about building roads that would serve no purpose whatsoever, mostly based on an OCD need to have the route number rules have no exceptions. 

Memo: the route number rules have exceptions.  New constructions (and this country needs a whole lot of it) will be based on the human situation in particular places and how roads can make that better.  Not on extending some road through nowhere to make a grid look pretty.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.