Woman drives off cliff on CA 1 in Big Sur and survives

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 16, 2018, 05:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Apparently with relatively minor injuries all things considered:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/oregon-woman-survives-week-remote-beach-after-plunge-california-cliff-n891646?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

Last year two cars went over CA 180 and the occupants didn't make it.  It's slightly unnerving to know that you can literally just disappear off the map a couple hundred feet below a busy roadway in California at times. 

formulanone

Yeah, saw this on the local news and was quite amazed by it all.

That Jeep Patriot was mangled after a 250 foot drop, yet but didn't explode when hitting those rocks is about as close to a miracle as it gets.

On a foggy day, those cliffs off PCH really appear as if you're on the edge of the earth, if "the earth's edge" was a thing.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on July 16, 2018, 09:10:08 PM
Yeah, saw this on the local news and was quite amazed by it all.

That Jeep Patriot was mangled after a 250 foot drop, yet but didn't explode when hitting those rocks is about as close to a miracle as it gets.

On a foggy day, those cliffs off PCH really appear as if you're on the edge of the earth, if "the earth's edge" was a thing.

Driving southbound on 1 through Big Sur definitely is a riskier drive than head northbound since you'll be on the cliff face the entire time.  Personally it's never bothered me but usually when someone wrecks it ends up pretty bad.  I guess the lesson here is just to run the "small animal"  over and call it a day.  Two years I had a deer run out in front of me on UT 95.  I had time to swerve but it would have put me in a ditch, I just stayed straight and hit dead on.  Dented the hell out of my hood but was infinitely better than possibly flipping over much less something like described in the article.  Either way she's extremely lucky, had that happened on the Lost Coast nobody probably would stumbled upon her. 

Techknow

That story is quite moving. She had a lot of injuries but was able to move and even find drinkable water. There's a typo in one of the captions where it mentioned Morro Bay instead of Big Sur, but Big Sur is still a 70 mile or so stretch of land.

If I was in such a situation I would probably be on the lookout for a turnout where cars would be parked before trying to yell out, given Highway 1 has hundreds of such turnouts. I know cell signal is incredibly sparse there, with ATT being the only carrier in a few places so I guess calling 911 probably won't work. If I had to guess, she was driving south of the local Big Sur community, probably south of the Pfeiffer Canyon Bridge because I driven from Carmel to the Point Sur lighthouse a couple times but never felt it was dangerous, but I can never be certain.

EDIT: According to CHP, the vehicle accident was roughly north of Nacimiento-Fergusson road. Source: https://bigsurkate.blog/2018/07/13/missing-girl-found/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.