News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Hoosier Heartland - Lafayette, IN - November 10, 2018

Started by getemngo, July 30, 2018, 09:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What date works for you?

October 6
7 (46.7%)
October 13
4 (26.7%)
October 27 (same date as Kingston, NY)
2 (13.3%)
November 10
11 (73.3%)
December 8
6 (40%)
December 15
6 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Voting closed: August 29, 2018, 09:44:13 PM

NWI_Irish96

I've never been to a meet before but I would be interested in this one.  I have a niece who's at Purdue and my wife and kids have been talking about taking a day to go visit her and the campus.  Could I get dropped off somewhere, ride with someone else, and get picked back up somewhere?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

US71

I won't know for sure for a couple weeks, but am interested.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Brandon

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 17, 2018, 07:36:08 AM
I've never been to a meet before but I would be interested in this one.  I have a niece who's at Purdue and my wife and kids have been talking about taking a day to go visit her and the campus.  Could I get dropped off somewhere, ride with someone else, and get picked back up somewhere?

Don't see why not.  If you get dropped at the restaurant, one of us could get you back to your wife and kids.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

cl94

I'm a maybe. It's a long shot at this point, but there's a chance I can still make this work. I won't know for certain until another week or two passes.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Alps

Bring the entire family to the meet!!

Duke87

I will be at a wedding the night immediately prior (in New York). Unfortunately this logistically precludes my attendance.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

US71

I just found out Lafayette has a Dog n Suds. That may be dinner Friday night :)

getemngo

Hey, this thread got popular today!

Facebook event is now up.

I'll be making one final visit to Lafayette on the 27th or 28th to check on the progress of the Sagamore Parkway bridge and see if the eastern leg of Sagamore Parkway has anything worth checking out. After that, we'll have an itinerary and a venue.
~ Sam from Michigan

getemngo

Now, some answers:

Quote from: csw on September 24, 2018, 06:20:01 PM
If you're looking for anything else to add to the itinerary, I'd suggest the one-lane truss on SR 225 over the Wabash. Not too much of a detour from the new IN 25.

It's a possibility, especially since we'll pass very close to it on old SR 25. However, there's a lot of ground to cover (the Lafayette/West Lafayette half could almost be a full meet on its own) and sunset will be around 5:30, so I will have to leave out some material in the interest of time.

Quote from: dvferyance on October 15, 2018, 03:32:05 PM
Is there anything on Sunday the 11th or is this just a Saturday only meet?

This is a Saturday only meet. I know there are folks staying in the Lafayette area on Saturday night, so we could arrange a post-meet dinner if there's interest. I'm not sure of my Saturday night plans because I have a family obligation in Michigan on Sunday but don't know what time it is yet.

Yes. To elaborate on Brandon's response, the roadmeet will start with a group lunch at a local restaurant. Then we all tend to carpool for the duration of the tour. We'll drive around the Lafayette area and then head out to Logansport and back, making periodic stops at the bigger points of interest. The meet ends where it began since that's where the non-drivers are parked.

Quote from: US71 on October 17, 2018, 08:03:31 PM

There are two! I ate at the West Lafayette location earlier this year and it was excellent.  :nod:
~ Sam from Michigan

SSOWorld

Quote from: getemngo on October 17, 2018, 11:23:16 PM
Now, some answers:

Quote from: dvferyance on October 15, 2018, 03:32:05 PM
Is there anything on Sunday the 11th or is this just a Saturday only meet?

This is a Saturday only meet. I know there are folks staying in the Lafayette area on Saturday night, so we could arrange a post-meet dinner if there's interest. I'm not sure of my Saturday night plans because I have a family obligation in Michigan on Sunday but don't know what time it is yet.
This reply is by one of them.

Quote from: getemngo on October 17, 2018, 11:23:16 PM
Quote from: US71 on October 17, 2018, 08:03:31 PM

There are two! I ate at the West Lafayette location earlier this year and it was excellent.  :nod:
nice - more local spots

Hotel booked and time off booked.  I'll being doing the serious scenic route and when finished, another state's Interstates will be completed.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

US71

I'll likely just straight shot it out there, but may take the scenic route home if I can find some old bridges close to my route. I'm officially still on the fence, but leaning towards attending. I have some stuff at home I need to tend to before I can commit.

csw

I don't have facebook but am planning on attending.

cl94

I am officially out of this, sadly. Project deadlines and other work requirements come first. Hopefully, I'll see some of the attendees in the relatively near future.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kevinb1994

I've already mentioned on the Facebook event for this road meet that I am also probably not going to be able to attend this one. Jaguars will be in Indy that weekend coincidentally lol

SSOWorld

I'm in.

Gotta get left-side tires due to a bead leak, but I'll be doing the very scenic route.  How scenic? Let's just say that the only I-70 left that I need when done will be east of I-68.
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

hbelkins

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 26, 2018, 08:25:15 PM
I'm in.

Gotta get left-side tires due to a bead leak, but I'll be doing the very scenic route.  How scenic? Let's just say that the only I-70 left that I need when done will be east of I-68.

You're going to Breezewood!!!

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: hbelkins on October 26, 2018, 09:16:57 PM
I'm in.

And Hancock, MD evidently.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

SSOWorld

I'm in.

Been there.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

US71

Quote from: SSOWorld on October 27, 2018, 07:54:09 AM
I'm in.

Been there.

So have I. I stopped long enough for some photos, then moved on.

getemngo

I've updated the original post with the specific location and time, as well as a more detailed list of our points of interest. We're meeting at local chain restaurant Grindstone Charley's at 3443 South St at 11:00 Saturday. It's okay if you can't be there at 11 sharp, just as long as you're there when we depart on our tour by 12:30. Please RSVP here or on Facebook if you haven't already.

I'll have a full itinerary posted on Facebook hopefully tomorrow night. It's not required reading before the meet, nor do you need to print your own copy (I'll provide enough for everyone).

Several of you have asked about a post-meet dinner. It turns out that I will be staying in Lafayette on Saturday night, so it can certainly be arranged. Nine Irish Brothers was my runner-up for the meet venue. We can eat there or pick out something else.

Unfortunately, Dog n Suds is closed for the season. If you're looking for locally brewed root beer, perhaps Triple XXX will intrigue you?
~ Sam from Michigan

jpi

Hope everyone has fun, I will be there in spirit, also on my drive back from Pittsburgh I plan on swinging through the Hoosier state to check out the I-69 construction progress on my way home.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

US71

csw

For those who attended this meet, the under-construction Sagamore Parkway bridge we saw from below was opened about a week afterwards (November 19th).

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: csw on December 11, 2018, 05:21:17 PM
For those who attended this meet, the under-construction Sagamore Parkway bridge we saw from below was opened about a week afterwards (November 19th).

Nice! :)
-A.J. from Michigan

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.