News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Counties that contain no national-level routes

Started by epzik8, October 23, 2018, 02:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

I can think of four U.S. counties that don't have any U.S. or Interstate highways: Calvert, Caroline and St. Mary's counties in Maryland, and Mathews County, Virginia. Carroll County, Maryland is an almost-example; I-70/U.S. 40 cut its southwest corner in the area of Mount Airy.

Any other examples?
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Roadsguy

I think Cameron County is Pennsylvania's only example.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

paulthemapguy

Illinois has a bunch in rather remote areas--state highways only.  Calhoun, Hardin, and Gallatin counties spring to mind immediately.  There are a lot of counties in the Great Plains states that have one or two north-south state routes and one or two east-west state routes, but no US or Interstate.

This is a very common occurrence west of the Appalachians, I think you'll find.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

kphoger

Quote from: paulthemapguy on October 23, 2018, 02:38:00 PM
Illinois has a bunch in rather remote areas--state highways only.  Calhoun, Hardin, and Gallatin counties spring to mind immediately. 

US-45 crosses into Gallatin County along that pretty stretch through the river bottoms between Eldorado and Norris.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

froggie

^^ Even east of the Appalachians, you'll find several.  Besides the OP's mention of Mathews County, there's also Charles City, Craig, Dickenson, and Westmoreland Counties in VA as well as the City of Poquoson.

Lamoille County, VT

Piscataquis County, ME

Dukes and Nantucket Counties, MA

Newport County, RI

BrianP

Cumberland County, NJ: US 40 just misses it.

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on October 23, 2018, 02:51:49 PM
Illinois has a bunch in rather remote areas--state highways only.  Calhoun, Hardin, and Gallatin counties spring to mind immediately. 

US-45 crosses into Gallatin County along that pretty stretch through the river bottoms between Eldorado and Norris.

Yep, just nicks it.  However, for Illinois, there are:
Hardin, Pope, Edwards, Wabash, Crawford, Randolph, Calhoun, Stark, and Menard Counties.

Moutrie County gets the eastbound lane of US-36.  Putnam County gets the tail end of I-180.  Jasper County gets nicked by US-40 (but not I-70).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

BrianP

Quote from: Roadsguy on October 23, 2018, 02:34:18 PM
I think Cameron County is Pennsylvania's only example.
Historically it used to have US 120. 

CNGL-Leudimin

All counties of Hawaii except Honolulu.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

ilpt4u

Quote from: Brandon on October 23, 2018, 03:38:29 PM

Hardin, Pope, Edwards, Wabash, Crawford, Randolph, Calhoun, Stark, and Menard Counties.

Moutrie County gets the eastbound lane of US-36.  Putnam County gets the tail end of I-180.  Jasper County gets nicked by US-40 (but not I-70).
I'll have to look, but do decommissioned US Routes in IL make any changes?

I doubt US 66 would make a change, as I-55 is pretty much a direct replacement. Do former US 54 and US 460 make any dents on that list? They had interstate replacements, but not quite as 1:1 as 66:55

frankenroad

Off the top of my head....Several in Michigan....Luce, Leelenau, Huron, Tuscola, Sanilac.   In Ohio, Morgan County.

I suspect there are more, both in these and other states.
2di's clinched: 44, 66, 68, 71, 72, 74, 78, 83, 84(east), 86(east), 88(east), 96

Highways I've lived on M-43, M-185, US-127

kphoger

Yep, just nicks it. 

1.35 miles, according to the reference marker at the north end.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

wriddle082

Every county in South Carolina is served by, at a minimum, two US highways.  Though the average square mileage of a SC county is probably twice that of a GA county, and I would venture to guess that nearly a quarter of GA's counties aren't served by I- or US- routes.

Brandon

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 23, 2018, 04:07:34 PM

I'll have to look, but do decommissioned US Routes in IL make any changes?

I doubt US 66 would make a change, as I-55 is pretty much a direct replacement. Do former US 54 and US 460 make any dents on that list? They had interstate replacements, but not quite as 1:1 as 66:55

Only US-460 for Hamilton County (which I should've included on the list of no US or I routes currently).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

US 89

Wayne County, UT is the only one in Utah without any sort of interstate or US highway. Colorado appears to have 7: Crowley, Custer, Gilpin, Hinsdale, Pitkin, Rio Blanco, and San Miguel.

Every county in Nevada has an interstate or US highway. Storey comes closest to not having one, but I-80 just nicks the northeast corner of it.

This got me curious, how many of these counties had I actually visited? Turns out, of the 305 counties I've been to, only 3 meet this criteria: Santa Cruz CA, Grimes TX, and Wayne UT.

ce929wax

I'm thinking Newaygo County in Michigan doesn't have any US or Interstate Highways in it.  US 131 comes within a mile or so of Newaygo County.  Oscoda and Montmorency counties also fit the bill.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: froggie on October 23, 2018, 03:20:07 PM
^^ Even east of the Appalachians, you'll find several.  Besides the OP's mention of Mathews County, there's also Charles City, Craig, Dickenson, and Westmoreland Counties in VA as well as the City of Poquoson.

Lamoille County, VT

Piscataquis County, ME

Dukes and Nantucket Counties, MA

Newport County, RI

Bristol County, RI too. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

sparker

In CA:  Trinity, Alpine, Butte, Sutter, Lake, Amador, Calaveras, Mariposa, and Tulare counties contain no Interstate or U.S. highways.  I-80 barely "nicks" into far-flung corners of both Napa and Sierra counties.

For an exercise examining the opposite concept, there's a handful of CA counties that have all three types of highways:  Riverside (US 95), San Bernardino (US 95 & 395), Los Angeles (US 101), Santa Clara, San Mateo, San Francisco, and Marin (all containing US 101 and at least one Interstate), Sacramento, Yolo (both US 50), and Siskiyou (US 97).  Of course in post '64 CA, US routes are a bit hard to come by!   

TheHighwayMan3561

MN has Lake and Cook which were historically served by US 61 but no longer.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

GaryV

ilpt4u

Until veryrecently, Monroe County IN, would have qualified. But now with I-69, no more

In spite of IN 37 between Indy and Paoli being part of the old Dixie Highway, that segment did not get a US Highway Designation

Thing 342

You can add Craig, Dickenson, and Westmoreland to the VA list.
Stretching the definition a bit, you could also add the cities of Poquoson, Manassas, Manassas Park and (I think) Falls Church, as they're independent cities.

cl94

New York has several. Hamilton, Lewis, Orleans, Schuyler, Tompkins, Wayne, and Yates (7/62) have no US routes or Interstates. Chenango and Delaware are clipped by I-88, Sullivan is clipped by US 209, Tioga has less than 1/2 mile of I-86. Wyoming County only has an alternate (US 20A). Chemung and Tioga got their only federally-designated route (I-86) within the past decade or so.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

pdx-wanderer

Wallowa, Polk and Yamhill, OR.

Skamania and Wahkiakum WA.

kphoger

Kansas
Greeley (K-96, K-27)
Wichita (K-96, K-25)
Lane (K-96, K-23, K-4)

Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.