News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields

Started by kevinb1994, November 26, 2018, 04:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinb1994

I came upon this neat website when I was still living in Princeton, New Jersey: www.airfields-freeman.com

abefroman329

This is a good one, too.  I thought it was fascinating that the old Pittsburgh airport terminal was just sitting there behind some chain link fencing, rotting.

kevinb1994

Quote from: abefroman329 on November 26, 2018, 05:06:20 PM
This is a good one, too.  I thought it was fascinating that the old Pittsburgh airport terminal was just sitting there behind some chain link fencing, rotting.
Interesting that you say that, as I was wondering about the condition(s) of the old Pittsburgh airport terminal myself.

Bruce

Abandoned airfields are always a nice thing to discover while flying over on Google Earth.

Berlin's Tempelhof was converted into a public park, but lost of the infrastructure is left intact. Great place to bike around.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Bruce on November 26, 2018, 06:16:49 PM
Abandoned airfields are always a nice thing to discover while flying over on Google Earth.

Berlin's Tempelhof was converted into a public park, but lost of the infrastructure is left intact. Great place to bike around.

Ah, Berlin is on my/our bucket list. Thanks for sharing.

Rothman

They turned Sandusky, OH's airport into a sports complex, but Google Earth seems to show some portions of the old runways still intact.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

busman_49

I found this a little while back, but it's always neat to stop back in and revisit it.  I'm not a big flight enthusiast, but this stuff is pretty neat.

abefroman329

Quote from: kevinb1994 on November 26, 2018, 06:23:31 PMBerlin is on my/our bucket list. Thanks for sharing.
We hope to visit Berlin in the spring.  When we took Queen Mary 2 to England last fall, there were a series of lectures on life in East Berlin/East Germany, and the pictures of present-day, reunified Berlin really made me want to visit.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

jon daly

That is a neat page. The layout isn't great, but I read some info on CT and RI.

kevinb1994

Quote from: jon daly on November 28, 2018, 08:33:02 PM
I used it to read some info on NJ, NY, PA, CT, DE, and MD.

davewiecking

Quote from: kevinb1994 on November 28, 2018, 08:42:29 PM
Quote from: jon daly on November 28, 2018, 08:33:02 PM
I used it to read some info on NJ, NY, PA, CT, DE, and MD.
I was reading an article about the Oakland A's latest stadium proposal, looked up the area on Google Earth, saw an apparently abandoned airport nearby, and wondered what it was. Then I remembered this thread and the above link. The former Alameda Naval Air Base, among other names...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.