News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

FL 9B

Started by sammack, May 22, 2010, 08:11:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

I too think it would work better as I-695, or even I-895, as none of those routes are used in FL yet. (I-495 is also unused, but I don't think it would work as well.)
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

The Ghostbuster

While the 95 to 295 would be a logical place for a 495, a 695 or an 895, it appears the 795 designation is set in stone. Which is precisely why I think the designation should run the entire length of FL 9B.

Alex

https://twitter.com/MyFDOT_NEFL/status/734757964414889984

Florida 9B will open south to Interstate 95 in early June.

jwolfer

I drove by the exit on 95 on Saturday.. some BGSs were up.. shield covered but they were not interstate shields.. the were Florida SR shields

formulanone

Just realized that S-795 is longer than the proposed I-795;-)

Alex

The Ghostbuster

I still think all of 9B should be part of Interstate 795, not just the segment between 95 and 295.

mvak36

When will they sign it as I-795?
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

FLRoads

Quote from: mvak36 on May 25, 2016, 04:12:49 PM

I sent an email to FDOT asking if SR 9B will indeed carry the I-795 designation once it opens to I-95. I will post their answer as soon as they respond.  :)

mvak36

Quote from: flaroads on May 25, 2016, 07:18:20 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on May 25, 2016, 04:12:49 PM

I sent an email to FDOT asking if SR 9B will indeed carry the I-795 designation once it opens to I-95. I will post their answer as soon as they respond.  :)

Thank you for doing that.

iPhone
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Avalanchez71

Can someone explain why this route is not a colossal waste of money?  Hard earned tax payer money at that.  Isn't this area already served by FL 9A (I-295).  There is only a few miles of seperation. 

Alex

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on May 27, 2016, 01:10:28 PM
Can someone explain why this route is not a colossal waste of money?  Hard earned tax payer money at that.  Isn't this area already served by FL 9A (I-295).  There is only a few miles of seperation.

Its mostly to open up more land for development, especially the next phase extending south of I-95 deeper into St. Johns County. The FL 9B connection with I-295 north will provide part of a long distance bypass of I-95 through the city otherwise.

FLRoads

Quick update, I still have not received any response to the email I submitted May 25th (really not surprised). I'll try emailing other personnel Tuesday and keep those interested posted on what I find out.

Alex

The opening of SR 9B southbound set for tomorrow was pushed back to next weekend. Anyone want to meet up and check it out?

New State Road 9B project rescheduled

QuoteThe Florida Department of Transportation is rescheduling the cosntruction for the new State Rd 9B project which is supposed to take place June 4 and June 5. Due to weather concerns the construction will start the weekend of June 10.

1995hoo

So did 9B open? Going to be passing through there in about three weeks and I plan to use it if it's open.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jdb1234

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 22, 2016, 01:31:21 PM
So did 9B open? Going to be passing through there in about three weeks and I plan to use it if it's open.

It was open when I drove it last week.

Alex

It fully opened on June 13. I posted a guide for the freeway with pics taken on our Jacksonville road outing last Thursday as well.

The Ghostbuster

How long before we see Interstate 795 shields on the signs?

1995hoo

Quote from: Alex on June 22, 2016, 03:17:22 PM
It fully opened on June 13. I posted a guide for the freeway with pics taken on our Jacksonville road outing last Thursday as well.

Thanks. I've used it once from I-295 to Route 1 just for the heck of it, but now it actually serves a useful purpose since I prefer to go around the east side of I-295.

jdb1234

Interestingly, that was the same day I drove through there as well.

Alex

Quote from: jdb1234 on June 22, 2016, 06:06:23 PM

Before or during the never ending rain?  :coffee:

Traffic on I-295 south from FL 202 toward FL 9B was clogged from 3 to 6 pm that day. The four lanes there just don't cut it anymore.  As such some early work for the Express lanes, which will directly connect with FL 9B, is underway at FL 152 on the northbound side of I-295. Best I could research is 3 years for completion.

jdb1234

Quote from: Alex on June 22, 2016, 08:04:04 PM
Quote from: jdb1234 on June 22, 2016, 06:06:23 PM

Before or during the never ending rain?  :coffee:

Traffic on I-295 south from FL 202 toward FL 9B was clogged from 3 to 6 pm that day. The four lanes there just don't cut it anymore.  As such some early work for the Express lanes, which will directly connect with FL 9B, is underway at FL 152 on the northbound side of I-295. Best I could research is 3 years for completion.

It didn't rain on me much when I got to Jacksonville as it was dry enough for me to take my own photos.  Biggest problem I had was besides the traffic in Orlando was a bad accident in Palm Bay that took me over an hour to get through.  I didn't check into the hotel until 8:30.

I did drive the east side of I-295 Friday morning and it felt a little too narrow being only 4 lanes in most places.

roadman65

Remember roads are built to handle 20 years ago's traffic.  The rate of development is not on the same timeline as it takes to build better roads.  S0 I-295 is already being planned to handle tomorrow's developers patrons, but with projected traffic counts from two decades ago when all this land was never thought of as prime real estate.

So far I-295 could never be a relief route to I-95 unless express lanes could be added, and even that once some of the land that lines the intestate gets filled in those new cars will fill up that idea. 

Look at between Orlando and Kissimmee several miles away. John Young Parkway was built to be a relief route to nearby US 17, 92, & 441.  Now both roads are the same trafficwise and both the same type of arterial so neither one is a relief route.  Once you have open land around a brand new freeway, it will generate more sprawl that equals more traffic so the once through route will soon become a local commuter route.

That whole eastern end of Jacksonville really boomed with retail, office, and housing so adding the new 295 freeway only escalated that.  Unless we push for more conservation areas in major metro areas this kind of situation will always be.  Heck in Texas with the addition of the TX 99 and Grand Parkway Freeways we can anticipate more economic growth as well, so do not count on it being an outer bypass to travel between major roads for very long either.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

FLRoads

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 22, 2016, 04:07:28 PM
How long before we see Interstate 795 shields on the signs?

I FINALLY received a response into my inquiry about the status of SR 9B becoming signed as I-795! Geesh, it only took a little over a month and emails to three individuals....

Anyway, the representative who responded informed me that once SR 9B is complete to CR 2209 in 2018, they will apply for Interstate status then, and use the I-795 designation.

Not sure why FDOT wouldn't go ahead and apply for the status now that it's connecting to two Interstate freeways. It makes me wonder if they want to have the southern section complete, since this will be the section constituting it being a "spur" Interstate. But given some of the other oddities in the Interstate system, this would seem an almost illogical theory...

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 22, 2016, 04:49:20 PM

Thanks. I've used it once from I-295 to Route 1 just for the heck of it, but now it actually serves a useful purpose since I prefer to go around the east side of I-295.

We used 9B yesterday morning. I was pleasantly surprised at the nicely banked curve in the ramp to southbound I-95. Banking like that is less common than I'd like.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.