News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Oklahoma DOT interesting contract advertisements

Started by J N Winkler, July 01, 2010, 02:32:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

I am starting this thread as a receptacle for occasional announcements.  There has been interest in the past in certain Oklahoma DOT contract plans (notably signing jobs, I-35 widening in Norman, I-44 reconstruction/realignment in Tulsa), but since they are not archived after letting, my purpose here is to give a "heads up" on interesting contracts.

In this month's advertisement is a fairly large Crosstown Expressway job:

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/contracts/a2010/plans1007/550_2207_OKCY-XTWN(015),sec115-155n(806)_1742834,2287308/
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

J N Winkler

P.S.  It turns out Call 280 (same letting) is an I-44 Lawton signs replacement.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

okroads

Quote from: J N Winkler on July 01, 2010, 03:31:58 PM
P.S.  It turns out Call 280 (same letting) is an I-44 Lawton signs replacement.

This project will probably replace all those nice button copy signs with Clearview signs. The Clearviewization of Oklahoma BGSs continues...

Scott5114

On a lot of these, sht002 is the "table of contents" that lets you skip straight to the signage goodies. In the case of the Crosstown thingy, the signage is Sheets 202—211.

Looks like the new Crosstown will be home to more monotube gantries. :rolleyes:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Chris

Quote from: okroads on July 01, 2010, 05:01:40 PM
This project will probably replace all those nice button copy signs with Clearview signs. The Clearviewization of Oklahoma BGSs continues...

Apparently, that is called progress... ;)

J N Winkler

In addition to the specific contracts mentioned above, it seems the July letting (which goes to bid this Thursday, after which the plans become at risk of disappearing) also includes 17428(32) (a northbound flyover bridge job?) as a tie to 17428(34), which is the major Crosstown Expressway contract, and 23417(04), which I think is a surfacing contract for the western portion of the US 70 Durant bypass.  For reference, the job piece number for the I-44 Lawton signs replacement is 27454(04).

It has taken me this long to find these additional contracts because I had to TIFF the plan files first.  (Looking at them in a PDF viewer is painful because Acrobat and most other PDF viewers are horribly inefficient at rendering raster data on the screen.)  There is, as others have noted, an awful lot of county bridges and 3R shit work in this letting as well.

J N Winkler

Another month, another Oklahoma DOT letting.  The big one in this month's tranche is 06374(44) (Call 760)--the I-44/Peoria Ave. relocation and interchange reconstruction.  To culture vultures this is the exit for the Philbrook Museum.  Unfortunately, the signing plans are garbage (guide sign shields are all right, but placeholder fonts have been used for white-on-green legend).  There is also a small signing job on I-35 running north of the SH 199 interchange, in the southern part of the state:  27843(04), Call 180.

Edit:  Link is here:

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/contracts/a2010/plans1009/

okroads

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 26, 2010, 03:38:04 PM
There is also a small signing job on I-35 running north of the SH 199 interchange, in the southern part of the state:  27843(04), Call 180.

Edit:  Link is here:

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/contracts/a2010/plans1009/

It looks like this will replace the button copy signs in Ardmore (plus a few signs that were just replaced in 2003-2004). I also noticed a U.S. 142 shield on the a_sht010.pdf file.

J N Winkler

I-56 exists in Oklahoma too.  These plans can sometimes be good for fantasy Interstate and US highways.

J N Winkler

Just to add:  there are a total of 13 contracts in this letting (of 50) which have pattern-accurate signing, which is about five times as many as in a typical Oklahoma DOT monthly letting.  This count includes the aforementioned contracts but not a weigh station on I-35 in Kay County.

Other contracts of interest:

*  21008(04)--This converts the I-40/Morgan Road interchange (I-40 Exit 140), which is currently a partial cloverleaf of the folded diamond type, into a SPUI with Morgan Road over the freeway.

*  28098(04)--This is a 3R contract (i.e., 8 1/2" x 11" portrait rather than 34" x 22" landscape), but has pattern-accurate small signing.  US 377 (!) is the route being resurfaced.

*  23165(04)--This is billed, without specificity, as a "Tulsa metro safety improvement."  In actuality it seems to be a sign structure replacement with one page of (pattern-accurate) sign designs.

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on August 27, 2010, 06:30:31 AM
*  21008(04)--This converts the I-40/Morgan Road interchange (I-40 Exit 140), which is currently a partial cloverleaf of the folded diamond type, into a SPUI with Morgan Road over the freeway.

Interesting. This has been talked about for a while. Good to see it be let. Wonder if this or the Norman SPUI will finish first.

*  28098(04)--This is a 3R contract (i.e., 8 1/2" x 11" portrait rather than 34" x 22" landscape), but has pattern-accurate small signing.  US 377 (!) is the route being resurfaced.

Whatever is wrong with US 377? :P

*  23165(04)--This is billed, without specificity, as a "Tulsa metro safety improvement."  In actuality it seems to be a sign structure replacement with one page of (pattern-accurate) sign designs.

More monotubes? Ugggggh....

J N Winkler

Interesting contracts from the October 21 letting (today!):

*  06374(82):  Sheridan St. portion of the I-44 reconstruction in Tulsa.

*  27164(04):  Resurfacing/signing/median cable barrier installation on I-44 south of Lawton.  In the signing plans, the control city on I-44 southbound is consistently given as "Wichata Falls" [sic!].

*  27166(04) and 27166(06):  Reconstruction of I-35 north and south of the SR 32 Marietta/Ryan interchange (I-35 Exit 15).

Scott5114

Quote from: J N Winkler on October 21, 2010, 06:44:03 AM
*  27164(04):  Resurfacing/signing/median cable barrier installation on I-44 south of Lawton.  In the signing plans, the control city on I-44 southbound is consistently given as "Wichata Falls" [sic!].

ODOT at its finest.

Just in case anyone thought he was kidding...

Oddly enough they got it right on the distance signage!

J N Winkler

Oklahoma DOT construction plans sets for November have now been uploaded.

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/contracts/a2010/plans1011/

First observation:

Quote from: rte66man on October 07, 2010, 09:19:14 AM
Some of the larger projects listed in the November 2010 ODOT final November bid opening list:

14971(13)* 6 US054 4.700 $12,973,970
SURFACE - TEXAS US-54: FR APPROX. 5.0 MILE NORTH OF OPTIMA NORTH TO 1.25 MILES SOUTH OF US64 IN HOOKER (2 NEW LANES) - NHY -008N (019)

This project is not, in fact, in the November letting.  It (and possibly some others) seems to have been squeezed out by a readvertisement of the I-44 Riverside Dr.-Peoria Ave. contract, job piece number 06374(44), which was previously in the September letting.  I don't think there are going to be any interesting contracts in this month's letting, though I will know more once I have TIFFed the plan sheets.

Since Oklahoma DOT has for the past six months used a consistent nomenclature of {call number_day & month of letting_federal-aid project number_job piece number without parentheses}, I have written and successfully tested a batch file to change plans directory names into job piece numbers.

SETLOCAL ENABLEDELAYEDEXPANSION

cd gathering
FOR /F "tokens=1 delims=" %%A IN ('dir /o /b /a:d') DO (
set JobPieceNo=%%A
set JobPieceNo=!JobPieceNo:~-7,5!^(!JobPieceNo:~-2,2!^)
IF NOT EXIST "!JobPieceNo!" move "%%A" "!JobPieceNo!"
)

ENDLOCAL

rte66man

Silly me, I thought the Final list really was final. Should have known better when dealing with ODOT.... :banghead:
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

J N Winkler

Yup, it is often that way with letting lists.  (KDOT was planning to let two signing contracts this month but only one was actually advertised . . .)  It turns out 06374(44) is just the biggest of seven re-runs in this letting, which has 37 contracts total.

J N Winkler

I-244 Arkansas River bridge replacement in Tulsa has just been advertised (apologies for the 2-year thread bump):

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/contracts/a2013/plans1302/850_2102_NHIPPY-0244-2(505)2660408/

This is the sumo wrestler in a roomful of anorexic blondes.

route56

Quote from: J N Winkler on January 31, 2013, 11:57:16 AM
I-244 Arkansas River bridge replacement in Tulsa has just been advertised (apologies for the 2-year thread bump):

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/contracts/a2013/plans1302/850_2102_NHIPPY-0244-2(505)2660408/

This is the sumo wrestler in a roomful of anorexic blondes.

You mean to tell me they didn't put a contract for both bridges at once (the westbound 244 bridge replacement was recently completed)
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

J N Winkler

Quote from: route56 on January 31, 2013, 07:58:15 PMYou mean to tell me they didn't put a contract for both bridges at once (the westbound 244 bridge replacement was recently completed)

Yes, that is correct--the present contract deals with the eastbound bridge only.  Draft plans were made available for both the westbound and eastbound bridges in 2010, but apparently for reasons of funding or construction phasing (I am not sure which) Oklahoma DOT is only now getting to the eastbound bridge.

J N Winkler

I thought it was worth a thread exhumation to note that the January 2015 letting includes a special treat for negative-contrast Clearview lovers:

http://www.okladot.state.ok.us/contracts/a2015/plans1501/360_2201_hsipg-255n(269)_3082804/sht%2014.pdf

Bobby5280

Clearview or not, ODOT needs to replace the lettering on nearly all the signs they put up in Lawton. The spacing stinks on most of them. And then they misspelled "McMahon Auditorium" on one (McMahan instead). Along Rogers Lane they crammed Clearview letters into panels far too small to hold them, making the term "pattern accurate" quite a joke.

bugo

"Bump" is a good term since the I-244/US 75 bridge's piers have already settled and the highway is like a roller coaster. It's not as bad as the bridge on the Creek Turnpike but it hasn't completely settled.

rte66man

Quote from: bugo on May 04, 2015, 03:09:29 PM

It's unlikely the piers have sunk.  It is far more likely they miscalculated the "sag" of the beams when the deck was added.  That seems to be happening more and more in the last decade.  Kilpatrick in Yukon just north of OK66 has the same problem.

"Bump" is a good term since the I-244/US 75 bridge's piers have already settled and the highway is like a roller coaster. It's not as bad as the bridge on the Creek Turnpike but it hasn't completely settled.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

J N Winkler

I am resurrecting this thread to call attention to the October 2017 letting, which contains what I believe are Oklahoma DOT's first two pure signing contracts in some time.  The larger of the two is job piece number 32625(04), covering most of I-35 in metro OKC, the entirety of I-235, and various lengths of I-44, I-240, I-40 and--if the title sheet map can be believed--the Kilpatrick Turnpike.  The sign panel detail sheets alone run to 71 pages.

The plans were produced for Oklahoma DOT by a consultant, TEC, which specializes in traffic design (I think the name is an initialism for "Traffic Engineering Consultants" or similar) and is one of the very few engineering firms in Oklahoma that consistently produces high-quality sign designs.  The signing sheets were produced using GuidSIGN and are very clean.

The other, job piece 33252(04), covers Bryan and Pittsburg counties in southeastern Oklahoma (basically, Choctaw country), and also appears to have clean plan sheets.

This may be a sign ODOT is getting out of the ransom-note business.

Scott5114

The question will be if the signs are actually fabricated according to plan. Oklahoma is full of instances where messed-up signs result from clean plan sheets, and clean signs from messed-up sheets.

That being said, when OkDOT itself is doing everything in-house, the results can be quite good. There are some one-off panels they made for the Boathouse District and Plaza Mayor (the latter of which just announced it is closing down...oops) that don't look that bad.

Observations:
[ul]
  • A good chunk of the signs being replaced are not that old. The OKC Boulevard ones, for instance, are less than a year old. That being said, this will greatly standardize the signage along the affected corridors, several of which date from several different projects and are in a mix of layout styles and typefaces.
  • Panels for S. 4th Street in Moore seem to omit SH-37.
  • Stippled-arrow diagrammatics in Oklahoma? Whaaaat?
  • There's still a little bit of inconsistency here in the city limits signs. Ideally they would all be the same except for the city name, Edmond's logo notwithstanding. But there's some minor differences. "Colbert/Town Limits" is pretty interesting to see, though. Colbert is legally a town, but towns historically haven't been signed from freeways.
[/ul]

Overall, nice looking signs and I'm looking forward to seeing them in person. The question will be whether subsequent plans will follow the design cues of these, or go shooting off into the wilderness in another direction.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.