News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Street Luminaries

Started by KEK Inc., August 01, 2011, 07:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: WolfGuy100 on August 05, 2011, 12:26:14 AM
I remembered when I was kid, Lexington KY used to have THIS type of streetlights in some areas:

I tried to find one on Google Street View, but I think all of them has been replaced with regular Cobrahead streetlights.

I think then some streets in downtown Toronto still have them.

Truvelo

I saw something very similar but not identical in New Jersey a few years ago. Click on the picture to enlarge.

(I-78 express lanes, eastbound at Exit 58)
Speed limits limit life

jcn

Reviving this topic, in regards to where mercury vapors, Lower Merion Township in Pennsylvania, which is where I reside, used to have a ton of mercury vapor streetlights, but around the time the government banned mercury vapor lights, Lower Merion replaced all of its mercury vapor lights with metal halides.  What's cool is, the street I live on uses HPS lights while all the surrounding streets use formerly MV, now MH lights.

Henry

Nearly every street in Chicago had a unique luminaire called Crimefighters, with a bucket-shaped refractor attached to a full-cutoff body. (I think GE was the only manufacturer of these unique lights, and they were only available in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs, but I'm not 100% sure of it.) They were available in 150, 250 and 310-watt varieties, and of course HPS, but now they're being replaced by normal-looking HPS semicutoffs and LEDs as well.

If you opened one and looked underneath, you could see that the bulb was mounted vertically instead of horizontally, which was the coolest feature!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cpzilliacus

Quote from: jcn on December 17, 2017, 02:59:31 AM
Reviving this topic, in regards to where mercury vapors, Lower Merion Township in Pennsylvania, which is where I reside, used to have a ton of mercury vapor streetlights, but around the time the government banned mercury vapor lights, Lower Merion replaced all of its mercury vapor lights with metal halides.  What's cool is, the street I live on uses HPS lights while all the surrounding streets use formerly MV, now MH lights.

For reasons not clear to me, most streetlights mounted on wood poles in Anne Arundel County, Maryland (south of Baltimore) are still mercury vapor.  Not sure if the county has asked the utility  company to keep them that way (sometimes, a new and lonely HPS luminaire is found on a street among the mercury vapor  lights).
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jcn

Quote from: cpzilliacus on December 29, 2017, 06:41:29 PM
Quote from: jcn on December 17, 2017, 02:59:31 AM

For reasons not clear to me, most streetlights mounted on wood poles in Anne Arundel County, Maryland (south of Baltimore) are still mercury vapor.  Not sure if the county has asked the utility  company to keep them that way (sometimes, a new and lonely HPS luminaire is found on a street among the mercury vapor  lights).

Radnor Township, which is to the west of Lower Merion, still has mercury vapor lights as well with some HPS lights mixed in.  Not to mention, Narberth, a borough completely surrounded by Lower Merion township not only still has MV lights but even incandescent lighting as well.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.