News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Hurricane Irene

Started by berberry, August 24, 2011, 12:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

berberry

After the recent thread about how many highway geeks are also wx geeks I'm kinda surprised this thread hasn't already been created.

In terms of its track, this thing is looking a LOT like the infamous Long Island Express of 1938, a cat 3 that plowed through New England via Long Island that year, and was itself the first major hurricane to strike the area since a short time after the Civil War.  The '38 hurricane tracked a bit farther east, enough to spare the Bahamas and Carolinas a direct hit, but other that this one looks much the same.

Anybody in the potentially affected areas getting ready for an evacuation yet?  I can tell you from experience that power can go out hundreds of miles inland, and for a week or more (my place had no power for almost a full week after Katrina, and I'm 250 miles north of New Orleans).  Even if you live within 400 miles, I'd say you should at least get your pantry well stocked and set aside lots of clean water.

Ian

Well the day this hurricane is going to hit New England is the day we leave from New Hampshire and back down to Philadelphia. Should be an interesting ride home!
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

berberry

The Weather Channel is now saying that Irene is looking more and more like it's headed for landfall in New England, possibly in Maine after a near-direct hit on Long Island.

Michael in Philly

The major difference between now and 1938, of course, being that then they didn't know the magnitude of what was coming.

That said, I just checked weather.com for the first time today, and they've shifted the cone of uncertainty farther east than it was yesterday; Philadelphia's (for now) toward the western side of it.  Which I guess means - someone correct me if I'm wrong - we'll probably be on the weak side.  Lots of rain, some wind.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

hm insulators

Best of luck to anybody in the path of this monster!
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

NWI_Irish96

I'm scheduled to fly into Richmond via Charlotte Sunday evening.  I know neither city is exactly coastal, but is there a chance those airports will be affected?
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Lightning Strike

Probably; Eastern Seaboard is one of the biggest hubs so it wouldn't surprise me if a domino effect happens. Looking at the current models/trend it looks like it could skirt the NJ coast and make a landfall around the Long Island area, as previously mentioned, which would definitely affect NYC/PHL which could lead to delays up and down the seaboard depending on how many flights. But models can only be taken at face value, really nothing more...better handle on the situation when its 48hrs out from landfall.

Brandon

Agreed about Irene looking a lot like the Long Island Express, but it also seems to be tracking like the 1944 New England Hurricane and Hurricane Bob from about 20 years ago.  I think Long Island, Connecticut, and Rhode Island need to watch this one very carefully.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Brandon

Quote from: Michael in Philly on August 24, 2011, 02:53:53 PM
The major difference between now and 1938, of course, being that then they didn't know the magnitude of what was coming.

That said, I just checked weather.com for the first time today, and they've shifted the cone of uncertainty farther east than it was yesterday; Philadelphia's (for now) toward the western side of it.  Which I guess means - someone correct me if I'm wrong - we'll probably be on the weak side.  Lots of rain, some wind.

IIRC, you are right.  It's the NE quadrant that has the biggest punch.  Philly should be much better off than say Providence, RI.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

stormwatch7721

I'm Expecting the rain and wind from Irene. Myrtle Beach is out of the projected path cone for now.

Duke87

Well, I'm certainly watching...

We're planning on just hunkering down if it hits us. It'll be a hell of a storm but we're not in a low-lying area so we're not at the highest risk. Certainly, if everyone around here tried to run away from this storm, no one would get away.

We plan on going around and making sure anything the wind might kick up is tied down or put away. Power outages are something we're no stranger to so we're prepared for that already.

The biggest issue in my mind is that if the storm hits us, there's no way in hell I'm going to make it into work on Monday. And with no power I won't be working from home, either. Fortunately, there's personal time for this sort of thing...

If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

xcellntbuy

Fellow south Florida residents like myself are quite pleased that Hurricane Irene has decided to spin away further to the east.  Our friends in the Bahamas currently are not doing well.  Let's hope this storm stays way out in the Atlantic Ocean and passes well away from the USA.

Brandon

Current models have Irene tracking across Long Island, and one of them is a direct hit on NYC.
http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at201109_model.html?MR=1

Following the discussions, it appears that everything the NHC has east of the Rockies is being employed to get a good handle on where Irene is going.  They're even launching weather balloons every 6 hours in Montana.

berberry

Just turned the TV back on after a couple hours, and the predicted track is looking more and more like the Long Island Express.  Now, about half the models are showing it going into Long Island and then tracking straight into Connecticut.

Oddly enough, I haven't heard anyone point out these similarities on the Wx Channel.  At least not yet.

Scott5114

Quote from: berberry on August 25, 2011, 01:55:59 AM
Oddly enough, I haven't heard anyone point out these similarities on the Wx Channel.  At least not yet.

Probably because most of their viewership has  no idea what the Long Island Express was.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Alex

I have been following it extensively since it was Invest97L. A friend of mine runs hardcoreweather.com and I generally get all of my tropics info from there. It is crazy how a week or so ago the models had it going into the Eastern Gulf. Then as the storm developed and progressed westwards, the model shifted to SW Florida, then the GA/FL border, then the Carolinas, then eastern NC, then eastern Mass. ala Hurricane Bob and now back to eastern NC on a Hurricane Gloria type track.

1995hoo

We're driving down to Richmond and back on Saturday to go to a museum. Unfortunately, we had to buy tickets. Might be an interesting trip.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Michael in Philly

I'm starting to think it might be a nice weekend to go to, say, Cleveland....
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Brandon

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 25, 2011, 09:53:16 AM
Quote from: berberry on August 25, 2011, 01:55:59 AM

Probably because most of their viewership has  no idea what the Long Island Express was.

Most folks don't look at their own local history.  Of course, if it happened before the boomers were born, it doesn't really matter.  :ded:

Alps

I'm heading east to Boston.

(But WHY??)

Well, saying goodbye to a friend who's moving from there, and then, on Sunday, I either want to be far west or right smack in Boston. (Top winds are well under 50 mph.) Anything between Boston and NJ is going to be a mess until after midnight. So wherever I stay, may as well stay til the wee hours of Monday, so doesn't really matter. So Boston it is.

Alex

The entire state of Delaware is under a hurricane watch. Might be a wild weekend for a place unaccustomed to such a storm. Hurricane Gloria in 1985 was the last to have a type of impact they are forecasting. I remember that one well as everything in Wilmington was shut down. We even got out of school that day (9-27).

berberry

Quote from: Brandon on August 25, 2011, 08:13:10 PM
Most folks don't look at their own local history.

No, they don't; good point.  But the Wx Channel used to make more historical references than they do now; maybe they did some research and found it to be a tune-out factor.  But I remember the '04 and '05 seasons when Florida kept getting hammered by one tropical system after another, and it wasn't uncommon for the Wx anchors to make comparisons to historical storms like the Labor Day hurricane of 1935, or the Lake Okechobee (sp?) storm of about a decade earlier.

Back to the current storm, they're saying Irene is over 400 miles wide.  That's very bad news if it remains strong.  Katrina, another very wide storm, caused extensive damage across very wide swaths of Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama, hundreds of miles inland.  Irene doesn't look like it will be as strong as Katrina, which should be good news for folks inland, but it might not matter much along the NE coastal areas.  The geographic differences between the coasts up there and the ones down here are, from what I hear, enough to make a cat 1 up there look like a 2 or 3 down here.

I dunno if that's true or not, but it's what they're saying on the teevee.

golden eagle

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 24, 2011, 03:40:04 PM
I'm scheduled to fly into Richmond via Charlotte Sunday evening.  I know neither city is exactly coastal, but is there a chance those airports will be affected?

My guess is that you might be OK with Charlotte, as it's farther away from the projected path. Richmond? I guess it depends on how close Irene gets to the capitol city.

elsmere241

Quote from: Alex on August 25, 2011, 09:49:10 PM
The entire state of Delaware is under a hurricane watch. Might be a wild weekend for a place unaccustomed to such a storm. Hurricane Gloria in 1985 was the last to have a type of impact they are forecasting. I remember that one well as everything in Wilmington was shut down. We even got out of school that day (9-27).

It's a warning now.  I remember getting off for Gloria - my mother had to drive from Newark to Strasburg to get my father since he couldn't fly in to Philadelphia, and that's as far as the shuttle would go from Harrisburg.

berberry

Wonder why none of the cable news / weather channels are talking about the dams and levees in the affected areas?  Are there any structures that are vulnerable to the type of failure we saw in New Orleans? 

One anecdote I remember hearing about - I think - the '38 hurricane concerned a beaver dam in New Jersey that under ordinary circumstances would have been a nuisance, but as it happened saved the lives of a lot of folks by protecting a heavily-populated area from flooding.  Apparently, the beavers worked like little soldiers right through the blow, keeping their dam in place.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.