News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Traffic signal

Started by Tom89t, January 14, 2012, 01:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: US71 on April 15, 2018, 10:53:51 PM
Springfield, Missouri is phasing out their center curb signal posts and replacing them with standard right corner signal posts.

https://goo.gl/maps/eAKyGZ3H1Vy
https://goo.gl/maps/smjHZ7qbBUt

https://goo.gl/maps/MQeKwc15XDN2

3-light left turn signals will remain 3-light signals.
5 light signals are becoming flashing left arrow signals

The reasoning seems to be the center pole signals obstruct traffic views.

Those are all state highways and therefore MoDOT installs. (Typical City of Springfield signals include a truss arm and mixed-case Series B on the signs, not the all-caps Series C that MoDOT uses.) Signals are weird in Missouri because MoDOT kind of does their own thing on the state highways and the cities don't touch them. Rather than being phased out, you might just be seeing differences between MoDOT and City of Springfield practices.

I'm guessing that abandoning the butterfly mastarms is more to do with the crash risk of having a mast in the median (with the implication that a median incursion could down the whole signal installation) rather than any visibility concerns. This is the same reason why butterfly gantries anchored in gores are considered a safety hazard.

This is what I think of when I think of a Springfield install. I love the hell out of them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: jakeroot on April 15, 2018, 11:20:31 PM

What's with the solid and dashed extended lane(s) indications? Solid limit lines would indicate a [last minute] stopping point.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 16, 2018, 06:40:38 AM
Springfield, Missouri is phasing out their center curb signal posts and replacing them with standard right corner signal posts.

https://goo.gl/maps/eAKyGZ3H1Vy
https://goo.gl/maps/smjHZ7qbBUt

https://goo.gl/maps/MQeKwc15XDN2

3-light left turn signals will remain 3-light signals.
5 light signals are becoming flashing left arrow signals

Those are all state highways and therefore MoDOT installs. (Typical City of Springfield signals include a truss arm and mixed-case Series B on the signs, not the all-caps Series C that MoDOT uses.) Signals are weird in Missouri because MoDOT kind of does their own thing on the state highways and the cities don't touch them. Rather than being phased out, you might just be seeing differences between MoDOT and City of Springfield practices.

Signals on Glenstone (Bus 65) have been/are being replaced. A few have new signals in place (like near Steak n Shake), but are bagged.  a few like Cherokee (the 5 signal post) have the new posts up, but no signals hung.

Kansas Expressway is due for this changeover as is Battlefield. Road.  There was a news brief on-line a couple weeks ago about these two roads.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 16, 2018, 05:35:54 AM
MnDOT loves them in medians on divided highways, too. Here's an example. There's two left-turn lanes, but ultimately three left-turn signal heads installed.

Edit: and here's an example from my hometown that even uses a rare (for Minnesota) near-side left turn signal. Double left, but four left-turn signal heads.

Those are both excellent Installations. I distinctly recall from my visit to Minnesota last December some excellent signal placement.

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on April 16, 2018, 08:10:53 AM

What's with the solid and dashed extended lane(s) indications? Solid limit lines would indicate a [last minute] stopping point.

No difference, I just hadn't finished editing the markings. The dashed limit lines indicate the point where, during the permissive phase, you are supposed to wait. These lines are used in other countries such as Japan, South Africa, and Denmark. Ideally, the word "YIELD" would also be used just in front of the dashed lines.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: jakeroot on April 16, 2018, 11:40:58 AM
No difference, I just hadn't finished editing the markings. The dashed limit lines indicate the point where, during the permissive phase, you are supposed to wait. These lines are used in other countries such as Japan, South Africa, and Denmark. Ideally, the word "YIELD" would also be used just in front of the dashed lines.
Ah, ok... so fictional intersection?

What program is this?

Scott5114

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on April 16, 2018, 05:35:54 AM
MnDOT loves them in medians on divided highways, too. Here's an example. There's two left-turn lanes, but ultimately three left-turn signal heads installed.

Edit: and here's an example from my hometown that even uses a rare (for Minnesota) near-side left turn signal. Double left, but four left-turn signal heads.

Those are both excellent Installations. I distinctly recall from my visit to Minnesota last December some excellent signal placement.

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on April 16, 2018, 08:10:53 AM

The pavement marking you're looking for is:
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 16, 2018, 02:41:28 PM
[...]
You can use Inkscape to take those triangles (that are to specification), and simple add them to your scene. I use PDF pages of the MUTCD to my advantage to create a lot of stuff.

adventurernumber1

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on April 16, 2018, 12:06:14 PM

What program is this?

I believe he said he made it in SketchUp.

Btw, that looks really cool!!   :nod:   :thumbsup:
Now alternating between different highway shields for my avatar - my previous highway shield avatar for the last few years was US 76.

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/127322363@N08/

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-vJ3qa8R-cc44Cv6ohio1g

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: adventurernumber1 on April 16, 2018, 03:35:23 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on April 16, 2018, 12:06:14 PM

What program is this?

I believe he said he made it in SketchUp.

Btw, that looks really cool!!   :nod:   :thumbsup:
Oh, I didn't catch that.

jakeroot

The pavement marking you're looking for is:

Some things in SketchUp are easier said than done. This scene was one of my first, so I kept shapes simple. I will move on to more complex shapes soon. You'd be surprised how difficult a triangle could be for a beginner.

I also wasn't necessarily going for an NA look. Japan, ZA and Denmark all use lines like those I used.

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on April 16, 2018, 03:23:24 PM
[...]
You can use Inkscape to take those triangles (that are to specification), and simple add them to your scene. I use PDF pages of the MUTCD to my advantage to create a lot of stuff.

I use Illustrator and export to CAD. I plan on doing some BGSs like that.

roadfro

<...>

If you've got a full signal mast supporting a mast arm, I could see some view obstruction coming into play.

I'd think a larger reason would be less risk of a knockdown. If you think about all the times a post-mounted "Keep right" sign in the median is hit/knocked down, it's a lot more expensive to fix a signal post in that situation. Posts/Masts on the right side seem to have a lower likelihood of getting hit.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

RestrictOnTheHanger

Seems like NYC has found a "new" way to hang a 4 lamp FYA signal.

New is in quotes because the same setup is used for  R-Y-G-GA or R-Y-G-Bimodal arrow signals in the downstate area

https://youtu.be/x9w5iwcZGJg

jakeroot

Quote from: RestrictOnTheHanger on May 06, 2018, 12:03:36 AM
Seems like NYC has found a "new" way to hang a 4 lamp FYA signal.

New is in quotes because the same setup is used for  R-Y-G-GA or R-Y-G-Bimodal arrow signals in the downstate area

https://youtu.be/x9w5iwcZGJg

Interesting. I certainly don't see any issue. I'm guessing the lower height of the mast arm is due to the overhead cables.

ftballfan

Saw a very old signal (that is still in use!) on US-20 at OH-66 in Fayette, OH yesterday

US71

I found this one in Bethany, Missouri last Summer.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

traffic light guy

Quote from: US71 on May 06, 2018, 02:58:47 PM

I found this one in Bethany, Missouri last Summer.

Eagle?

basilicon89

Nope...it is an Autoflow.

roadman65

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2855076,-76.6505585,3a,75y,11.17h,93.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sx3Apd5Z7up0rYh8JE26fGA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 I see that the two section signal heads for pedestrians are still being manufactured.  This is in Hershey, PA where a signal was just added to replace two older ones as the PA 743 junction with US 422  that had a short one block concurrency until a few years ago.

So these are not that old at all!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jakeroot

Two-section pedestrian heads are still commonly installed in various parts of British Columbia. They have been phased out in Washington, though.

bcroadguy

Quote from: jakeroot on May 09, 2018, 12:28:53 AM
Two-section pedestrian heads are still commonly installed in various parts of British Columbia. They have been phased out in Washington, though.

And weirdly, some areas have switched from 16 inch pedestrian signals back to two-section signals in recent years.

Judging from Streetview, it seems like Washington D.C. still installs them as well.

traffic light guy

jakeroot

Quote from: bcroadguy on May 09, 2018, 05:49:53 AM

And weirdly, some areas have switched from 16 inch pedestrian signals back to two-section signals in recent years.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what the MOT is doing. Some new projects have the standard single-section pedestrian heads, whereas some will have two sections. None seem to be a newer style than another. They're both installed with regularity.

freebrickproductions

Some places still spec 12 inch pedestrian signals as standard. Washington D.C. is probably the most notable example, but I believe Charlottesville, VA and parts of New York still install them as well. 12 inch peds are pretty rare here in Alabama these days, though.

9 inch and 8 inch pedestrian signals are no longer made (at least here in the US).
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

bcroadguy

Quote from: jakeroot on May 09, 2018, 04:01:02 PM

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what the MOT is doing. Some new projects have the standard single-section pedestrian heads, whereas some will have two sections. None seem to be a newer style than another. They're both installed with regularity.

MOT only ever installs 12 inch pedestrian signals. For new signals at least, they'll only add a second section if there's going to be a countdown timer. Many cities (Surrey, Langley, Victoria, Vancouver etc..) install 16 inch signals, while others (Burnaby Coquitlam, Nanaimo etc...) are like the MOT and use 12 inch signals. It all depends on whichever agency is installing them's preference.

jakeroot

Quote from: bcroadguy on May 10, 2018, 06:47:22 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 09, 2018, 04:01:02 PM

MOT only ever installs 12 inch pedestrian signals. For new signals at least, they'll only add a second section if there's going to be a countdown timer. Many cities (Surrey, Langley, Victoria, Vancouver etc..) install 16 inch signals, while others (Burnaby Coquitlam, Nanaimo etc...) are like the MOT and use 12 inch signals. It all depends on whichever agency is installing them's preference.

I believe Vancouver installs single-section heads which also include countdown timers, correct? I can't remember what other cities do. At the 99/16 Ave interchange, the MOT used two-section heads despite the availability of single-section pedestrian heads with countdown timers. That's what I find most interesting. I was not aware that any municipality was still installing ped heads without countdown timers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.