News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Minnesota Notes

Started by Mdcastle, April 18, 2012, 07:54:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on June 07, 2018, 07:00:27 AM
Minor detail I noticed a while ago, and one I just thought of again: anyone have any idea why US-61 (North) is not mentioned on the Mounds Blvd exit (Exit 243) on I-94? Seems like an omission in error to me, even if MnDOT wants to rid themselves of maintaining US-61 on surface roads in St. Paul.

I assumed it was because it was redundant to I-35E and they wanted to discourage people from using the surface street. I can't ever remember there being a mention of US 61 at the eastbound exit to Mounds. Until the recent I-94 rebuild project there were no US 61 reassurance markers on the I-94 duplex either, but those have been added now.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Mdcastle

The area around the I-35W projectisn't very saf so I don't know how much wandering around with a large camera I'm going to be doing, and I'm not too excited about it since it does virtually nothing too fix the congestion problem in the area, but here's one of the former downtown exits.
IMG_1491[1] by North Star Highways, on Flickr

froggie

Quoteand I'm not too excited about it since it does virtually nothing too fix the congestion problem in the area

I'd disagree with this.  The end project will have some significant operational improvements, including additional lanes in a few spots and a permanent 8+2HO/T from the Crosstown to the downtown split (instead of just to 42nd St).

TheHighwayMan3561

Almost six years to the day after the flood that closed MN 210 in Jay Cooke for five years, MN 23 in the same area was washed out last night by significant flooding in NE Minnesota/NW Wisconsin.

MNHighwayMan

TheHighwayMan3561

It looks like MN 23 will be out of commission for some time. Weeks or more. It's not that heavily travelled compared to I-35 of course, so it's not the worst thing to ever happen.

TheHighwayMan3561

In the latest round of GPS dumbassery...

MNDot's official Facebook page shared that a motorist drove around barriers and damaged a freshly-laid concrete part of a US 63 rebuild north of Rochester.

Yay.

Bickendan

Damn. I'd love to see photos of that.

texaskdog

Quote from: Mdcastle on June 16, 2018, 07:55:44 AM
The area around the I-35W projectisn't very saf so I don't know how much wandering around with a large camera I'm going to be doing, and I'm not too excited about it since it does virtually nothing too fix the congestion problem in the area, but here's one of the former downtown exits.
IMG_1491[1] by North Star Highways, on Flickr

what is this a picture of?

froggie

Quote from: BickendanDamn. I'd love to see photos of that.

KARE11 did a story on it.  It appears to be more a case of old age driver confusion than "GPS dumbassery".

Quote from: texaskdogwhat is this a picture of?

Here.  As part of the I-35W reconstruction between 42nd St and downtown Minneapolis, they're completely ripping up the connector to 4th/5th Avenues and adding bus-only ramps between the future HO/T lanes and 12th St.  The photo is taken from the 15th St overpass.

n0ax

I was browsing online in relation to the announced corridors for commerce funding which would widen 494 by adding a MnPass lanes and rebuild the 35W/494 interchange in a turbine configuration. Looking back there appears to be a visualization of 494 posted online circa 2007, which included widening 494 to ten lanes each direction and going forward with the 2001 494/35W interchange study recommendation of using full flyovers. Does anyone know if the former visualization was apart of a broader study or plan to rebuild 494?

Bickendan

Quote from: froggie on July 05, 2018, 03:30:29 PM
Quote from: BickendanDamn. I'd love to see photos of that.

KARE11 did a story on it.  It appears to be more a case of old age driver confusion than "GPS dumbassery".

Quote from: texaskdogwhat is this a picture of?

Here.  As part of the I-35W reconstruction between 42nd St and downtown Minneapolis, they're completely ripping up the connector to 4th/5th Avenues and adding bus-only ramps between the future HO/T lanes and 12th St.  The photo is taken from the 15th St overpass.
Is the old MN 65 mainline into downtown getting rebuilt then?

froggie

Quote from: n0axI was browsing online in relation to the announced corridors for commerce funding which would widen 494 by adding a MnPass lanes and rebuild the 35W/494 interchange in a turbine configuration. Looking back there appears to be a visualization of 494 posted online circa 2007, which included widening 494 to ten lanes each direction and going forward with the 2001 494/35W interchange study recommendation of using full flyovers. Does anyone know if the former visualization was apart of a broader study or plan to rebuild 494?

Not quite 10 lanes in each direction...I believe that 2001 plan was for 6 each way between 100 and 35W.  And yes, it was part of a broader study to rebuild 494 between 394 and the Minnesota River.  Of course, MnDOT didn't have the ~$1B it would have taken to implement even the revised 2001 study (revised from what was proposed in the early '90s), so they've been chopping away piecemeal at it.  The widenings between 394 and 100 and the later interchange revisions at 169 were the result of this "chopping away piecemeal".

Quote from: BickendanIs the old MN 65 mainline into downtown getting rebuilt then?

Yes...that's what you see in the photo that texaskdog referenced....that's the rebuilding.

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Bickendan on July 04, 2018, 03:32:22 PM
Damn. I'd love to see photos of that.

Image of the ruined concrete on US63 in Rochester.

Courtesy of https://twitter.com/mndotsoutheast/status/1012693540718211072
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

MNHighwayMan

I noticed today that MnDOT is installing new alternate I-35 route designations.

They were posted on almost every exit from the Iowa border to the Elko/New Market exit. I don't think either I-90 exit or the US-14 exits had them. There are probably others.

Some of them were missing the yellow tab on top, such as this one from the NB offramp to MN-251. Note that they have the wrong direction installed on this one.

SSOWorld

Catching up with Iowa's "Emergency Detour" and Wisconsin's "Alternate" escape routes.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

TheHighwayMan3561

I-94 has a few in Douglas County, but I think those may have been county installs.

jakeroot

Seems MNDOT's variation is rather wordy. Wouldn't the placards normally say "ALTERNATE" or "ALT"?

froggie

^ Appears to stem from a research and pilot project MnDOT conducted with a consultant in 2014-15.  The study included I-94 through District 3 which, depending on where THM394 saw the Douglas County signs, might explain those signs.

[EDIT] Here's a MnDOT press release about the ALT I-94 signs.  Looks like MnDOT extended the I-94 alternate route signage into District 4, which definitely would explain those Douglas County signs.

MNHighwayMan

On my way up north, I also found this sign on NB MN-101:

Revive 755

Quote from: jakeroot on July 15, 2018, 03:50:41 PM
Seems MNDOT's variation is rather wordy. Wouldn't the placards normally say "ALTERNATE" or "ALT"?

They appear to be basing them on a recent FHWA interpretation on alternate route/incident bypass signing.

Iowa has at least one assembly on mainline westbound I-80 that follows the interpretation - IIRC it is before the exit for US 71.

MNHighwayMan

The four routes around Mille Lacs Lake (plus a county road) have now been designated as a scenic byway:

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/newsrels/18/07/18-new-scenic-byway.html

SSOWorld

Well the rest of Iowa, WI, IL and IN seem to be in violation of that now... (Given for IL and WI since they use ALT and Alternate banners respectively)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on July 22, 2018, 08:14:19 PM
The four routes around Mille Lacs Lake (plus a county road) have now been designated as a scenic byway:

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/newsrels/18/07/18-new-scenic-byway.html

I'm interested to see its special scenic route shield. If they've made a design and released it it wasn't in that article.

ET21

Quote from: SSOWorld on July 15, 2018, 03:34:34 PM
Catching up with Iowa's "Emergency Detour" and Wisconsin's "Alternate" escape routes.

And Illinois to a lesser extent, mainly for I-39
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.