News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 22

Started by Snappyjack, January 26, 2009, 11:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on July 18, 2018, 12:08:20 PM
Google Maps was driving down US-78/I-22.

Here is a nice shot of the Begin Interstate 22 sign:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8793222,-89.7253977,3a,75y,149.8h,92.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgpDKEegSwkYsgvuO7S2v_Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Now that's precision sign placement -- right between (and under) the twin main carriageways for I-269, where the legal definition of I-22 commences.  Now -- if only other states would follow suit regarding appropriate signage and placement (are you listening, Caltrans?)!  Kudos to MS for actually giving a shit! :colorful:

bigdave

Quote from: sparker on July 18, 2018, 12:45:23 PM
Now that's precision sign placement -- right between (and under) the twin main carriageways for I-269, where the legal definition of I-22 commences.  Now -- if only other states would follow suit regarding appropriate signage and placement (are you listening, Caltrans?)!  Kudos to MS for actually giving a shit! :colorful:

Isn't it signed as Future I-22 in much of Mississippi?   :confused:

US71

Quote from: bigdave on July 18, 2018, 01:09:59 PM

Isn't it signed as Future I-22 in much of Mississippi?   :confused:

East of  Byhalia, it's I-22/ US 78...no "future".
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

rickmastfan67

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.8793222,-89.7253977,3a,75y,149.8h,92.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sgpDKEegSwkYsgvuO7S2v_Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

And if you rotate StreetView, you can also see the 'END' shield in the same precise location.

formulanone

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 18, 2018, 09:24:16 PM

And if you rotate StreetView, you can also see the 'END' shield in the same precise location.

The I-269 overpasses create a neat effect on I-22, as well:

msubulldog

I'm surprised to see it neutered, as Mississippi has been using the state name in many of its new Interstate shields this decade.
"But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it."
Matt 7:14, NLT

freebrickproductions

Quote from: msubulldog on August 06, 2018, 08:42:42 PM

I'm surprised to see it neutered, as Mississippi has been using the state name in many of its new Interstate shields this decade.
Contractor error, most likely.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Gnutella

You know what's neat? In Mississippi and Alabama, I-22 and U.S. 78 follow each other very closely, and in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, I-78 and U.S. 22 follow each other very closely. Neat, huh?

:spin:

cjk374

Quote from: Gnutella on September 07, 2018, 07:39:29 AM
You know what's neat? In Mississippi and Alabama, I-22 and U.S. 78 follow each other very closely, and in Pennsylvania and New Jersey, I-78 and U.S. 22 follow each other very closely. Neat, huh?

That is very interesting indeed! It seems as though someone....FHWA Or AASHTO...was trying to stick with the formula of 2dus+2di=100. This is what ended up happening with many of the x0 2di routes.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

nexus73

Quote from: cjk374 on September 07, 2018, 08:33:50 AM

That is very interesting indeed! It seems as though someone....FHWA Or AASHTO...was trying to stick with the formula of 2dus+2di=100. This is what ended up happening with many of the x0 2di routes.

I-5 + US 99 = 104.

I-15 + US 89 = 104

I-25 + US 87 = 112

So much for the N/S western routes!

I-90 + US 10 = 100  BINGO!

I-80N + US 30 = 110

I-80 + US 40 = 120

I-10+ US 70 = 80

I-8 + US 80 = 88.

Looks like only one 100 for the West.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

MikieTimT

Quote from: cjk374 on September 07, 2018, 08:33:50 AM

Doesn't really work in Arkansas.  It's almost within 20% of that formula, though.

I-40 parallels US-64 west of L.R. and US-70 east of L.R.  104 and 110.
I-49 parallels US-71. Adds to 120
I-55 parallels US-61. Adds to 116
Future I-57 parallels US-67.  Adds to 124.  Way off here.
I-30 parallels US-67.  Adds to 97.  Funny how an even numbered Interstate paralleled an odd numbered US highway in this case.

If they ever did any additional 2DI Interstates in the middle of the country, and they left quite a bit of addressable numbering in the system.  Between I-40 and I-70, they would likely have to diverge from that formula somewhat as there are only 3 E-W 2DI US highways (US-50, US-60, and US-62(US-412)) between I-40 and I-70 that cross both of Arkansas and Missouri's eastern and western borders without hopping onto existing I-44 or I-70 that any new 2DI Interstates could parallel for any future I-50 or I-60.

Personally, I wish they'd really blow the scheme out of the water and take I-22 on across the Mississippi River and connect up to I-40 around Brinkley.  Would make for a handy southern bypass of Memphis and an actual moderately functional bridge over the Mississippi River.  I absolutely hate going over the I-55 bridge into Tennessee and then that clusterf*ck of an interchange at the other end with a city blvd.  You should never have to exit an Interstate to remain on it, especially when whatever the junction is with isn't even another Interstate.  And I thought Arkansas was backwards...

vdeane

I-90 + US 20 = 110
I-81 + US 11 = 92
I-87 + US 9 = 96
I-89 + US 4 = 94
I-89 + US 2 = 92
I-89 + US 7 = 96
I-91 + US 5 = 96
I-93 + US 3 = 96
I-95 + US 1 = 96
I-95 + US 2 = 97
I-84 + US 6 = 90
I-99 + US 15 = 114

Seems to be around 96 for a lot of roads in NY/New England.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Tomahawkin

OT Are there any plans of extending 22 southeast of Birmingham to Macon GA or to SW GA/GA a route like that would keep traffic from Memphis and the Midwest away out of Atlanta reroute to Florida...

sparker

Quote from: Tomahawkin on September 07, 2018, 02:12:26 PM
OT Are there any plans of extending 22 southeast of Birmingham to Macon GA or to SW GA/GA a route like that would keep traffic from Memphis and the Midwest away out of Atlanta reroute to Florida...

If you mosey over to Fictional, there are quite a few proposals for an SE extension of I-22; most of them involve a Auburn-Columbus-Albany-Tifton-Waycross-Jacksonville and/or Brunswick routing (essentially subsuming GRIP 520 across GA).  The concept is simple -- an all-Interstate route from Birmingham to Florida without involving Atlanta (never a bad idea, but probably not worth the expense).  But the recent move by ALDOT to remove several previously considered "future Interstate" corridors from its planning efforts doesn't portend well for extensions of any Alabama-based Interstate. 

edwaleni

Quote from: sparker on September 07, 2018, 04:42:18 PM
Quote from: Tomahawkin on September 07, 2018, 02:12:26 PM

If you mosey over to Fictional, there are quite a few proposals for an SE extension of I-22; most of them involve a Auburn-Columbus-Albany-Tifton-Waycross-Jacksonville and/or Brunswick routing (essentially subsuming GRIP 520 across GA).  The concept is simple -- an all-Interstate route from Birmingham to Florida without involving Atlanta (never a bad idea, but probably not worth the expense).  But the recent move by ALDOT to remove several previously considered "future Interstate" corridors from its planning efforts doesn't portend well for extensions of any Alabama-based Interstate.

Most DOT's are bagging or putting on ice any new interstate plans. No money.

Unless an electric car tax is passed or the fed fuels tax is raised by Congress, don't expect a great deal to happen.

US71

IMO, given US 78 is already controlled access in Mississippi and all the exits are numbered, 22 should be extended to the TN/MS State Line. Just sign it and be done.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

sparker

Quote from: US71 on October 27, 2018, 01:48:30 PM
IMO, given US 78 is already controlled access in Mississippi and all the exits are numbered, 22 should be extended to the TN/MS State Line. Just sign it and be done.

Grudgingly concur; since exit numbers/mileposts start at the state line, may as well  extend I-22 to that point and sign it.  But even if that were to occur, the chances of seeing any I-22 trailblazer sign in TN are slim for the time being.  Also -- since the FHWA logbook indicates its terminus as I-269, MSDOT would have to petition for the extension. 

And for everyone's sake, it would be pointless to do something gratuitous like (a) sign it as "Business Spur 22" (a la Florence, SC) or (b) an actual spur such as I-122.   

The Ghostbuster

US 78 west of Interstate 269 will likely remain signed and designated as just that, US 78! Any hopes of a business spur or 3-digit Interstate 22 spur will only exist in Fictional Highways.

sparker

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on October 27, 2018, 04:43:51 PM
US 78 west of Interstate 269 will likely remain signed and designated as just that, US 78! Any hopes of a business spur or 3-digit Interstate 22 spur will only exist in Fictional Highways.

That's probably correct.  While it might be nice to see the Interstate route number and the mileposts/exits line up correctly, it's unlikely that MSDOT will take the time and effort required to get the FHWA and/or AASHTO paperwork necessary to post I-22 shields on the remaining part of the route.  IMO, the only precipitating factor would be a decision to decommission US 78 from Memphis to Birmingham -- at which point a new designation for the "orphaned" west end would be required (and I wouldn't put it past MSDOT -- or any DOT for that matter -- to simply sign it as "MS 78").

froggie

^ As an Interstate, it would primarily be FHWA.  And if they follow their standard policy, they would probably deny such an application given that the endpoint is not an intersecting Interstate, NHS route, or major traffic generator.

You could arguably get it extended to MS 302...that's an NHS route.  But an arbitrary boundary such as a state line wouldn't work.

Of course, they could go against their own policies and approve such an endpoint...

sparker

Quote from: froggie on October 27, 2018, 05:00:24 PM
^ As an Interstate, it would primarily be FHWA.  And if they follow their standard policy, they would probably deny such an application given that the endpoint is not an intersecting Interstate, NHS route, or major traffic generator.

You could arguably get it extended to MS 302...that's an NHS route.  But an arbitrary boundary such as a state line wouldn't work.

Of course, they could go against their own policies and approve such an endpoint...

Always a possibility -- but the first step would be for someone (MSDOT being the likeliest party) to submit an application for such.  In this case that's unlikely to occur; no demonstrated need nor request for that (AFAIK).  I-269 just opened over to I-55; that should be sufficient as an outlet for I-22 (it'd certainly help if MSDOT erected trailblazer signage on both I-69 and I-55 referencing I-22).  At this point, still don't expect such signage over in TN.

froggie

Not just the "likeliest party"...MDOT is the ONLY party that FHWA would accept an application from (for the segment within Mississippi).  AASHTO operates under the same principle for US & USBRS route changes and Interstate numbering requests...only applications from the relevant state transportation department, signed by the commissioner or executive director (or equivalent) are accepted.

sparker

^^^^^^^^^^
That's interesting to know -- seeing as how MPO's have gained so much status in the last decade or two so as, in many aspects of dealing with metro areas, they've become (a) the lead agency regarding localized projects and/or (b) entities capable of exercising functional "veto power" over projects or details -- even on state highways -- within their parvenu.  But assuming what is stated above is correct, then that's one aspect of roadway planning/administration that hasn't as of yet deviated from longstanding practice.     

froggie

^ MPOs have had that power for close to 30 years, dating back to ISTEA (and for some regions, before then depending on state law).  MPOs themselves have existed since the 1960s...the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1962 mandated their existance, though they had a minimal role at the Federal level until 1991.

But when it comes to Interstate designation, FHWA has long had the final authority on that.  Even though Acts of Congress can designate specific corridors as Interstate highways (and even give them numbers since Shuster did such with I-99), it is still up to FHWA as to when a given segment is officially added to the system.

Tomahawkin

Has anyone Driven the old 78 alignment in Alabama? The Hamilton exit where traffic had to leave the construction zones had a great dropoff. There is a gas station there that cashed in 25 years ago but is a ghost town now. It wasn't a truck stop but it was on the 78 2 lane road before entering the freeway section. Before the extended 22/78 opened

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.