News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois notes

Started by mgk920, September 12, 2012, 02:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Crash_It on July 13, 2018, 10:13:19 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 13, 2018, 09:52:08 AM
Quote from: inkyatari on July 13, 2018, 08:44:54 AM
Richards street isn't a state route. Do you mean Chicago street which is IL-53?

Surprise!  It actually is an unmarked state route.  Check out Will County's system map, which shows all state-maintained roads in green (click to download):  https://www.willcountyillinois.com/County-Offices/Economic-Development/Division-of-Transportation/Highway-System-Construction-Projects/FileId/4102

If you look at the signs along the road, they all have tiny IDOT logos too.  So now you know who to complain about regarding a whole bunch of other shoddy roads, too  :-D

Actually, the state routes here in Lake county are in good to excellent shape, and the ones that aren't are currently under construction or scheduled to be under construction within the next year or so. Unmarked state routes (learned this recently too) are of a lower priority as they usually only connect to a marked state route or an interstate and are often much shorter in length.

That's interesting about the unmarked state routes, but not surprising. I imagine downstate that is a little more justified, but around Chicago (D1), they need more attention. Regarding the condition of the roads in Lake County, that can be very much debated at best in my opinion. The inadequacy of the routes is quite telling, not to mention that in some places, after just a couple of years, the pavement is already crumbling after a repave (IL 53 through Long Grove, for instance). Even if they go under construction, it doesn't seem to do anything about the capacity issues. Lake County maintained routes are a little better, though I am not too high on any of the roads in Lake County to be honest. All could use better lighting.

Crash_It

Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 14, 2018, 08:28:59 AM
Quote from: Crash_It on July 13, 2018, 10:13:19 PM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on July 13, 2018, 09:52:08 AM
Quote from: inkyatari on July 13, 2018, 08:44:54 AM
Richards street isn't a state route. Do you mean Chicago street which is IL-53?

Surprise!  It actually is an unmarked state route.  Check out Will County's system map, which shows all state-maintained roads in green (click to download):  https://www.willcountyillinois.com/County-Offices/Economic-Development/Division-of-Transportation/Highway-System-Construction-Projects/FileId/4102

If you look at the signs along the road, they all have tiny IDOT logos too.  So now you know who to complain about regarding a whole bunch of other shoddy roads, too  :-D

Actually, the state routes here in Lake county are in good to excellent shape, and the ones that aren't are currently under construction or scheduled to be under construction within the next year or so. Unmarked state routes (learned this recently too) are of a lower priority as they usually only connect to a marked state route or an interstate and are often much shorter in length.

That's interesting about the unmarked state routes, but not surprising. I imagine downstate that is a little more justified, but around Chicago (D1), they need more attention. Regarding the condition of the roads in Lake County, that can be very much debated at best in my opinion. The inadequacy of the routes is quite telling, not to mention that in some places, after just a couple of years, the pavement is already crumbling after a repave (IL 53 through Long Grove, for instance). Even if they go under construction, it doesn't seem to do anything about the capacity issues. Lake County maintained routes are a little better, though I am not too high on any of the roads in Lake County to be honest. All could use better lighting.

Here are some state roads that I regularly drive in Lake County on that are going to need a reconstruction (and scheduled as so) in the next couple years.

IL173 from IL137 to US41 (especially the portion through Zion, IDOT has it listed as accruing).
IL137 from the Amstutz Expy (possibly the worst stretch in D1, IDOT backlog) to just south of 14th St in North Chicago.
IL60 from east of the Tri state to IL43 (backlog)
IL22 from IL83 to just before Quentin Rd (backlog)
US41 from IL132 to IL60 (has potholes in between lanes, accruing to backlog) , then from Park Ave to Cook County line (backlog)
IL43 through Waukegan (accruing

The following will need an improvement within the next 4 years
IL137 from Zion to Amstutz expy then from MLK Dr to US41  (adequate to accruing)
IL60/83 (entire concurrency) (accruing)
IL131 from IL120 to IL176 (accruing)
IL176 from IL131 to US12 (adequate to accruing).

Under Construction
IL132 (US45 to I94)
IL120 (US45 to IL131)

As bad as our roads may appear to be, we are actually doing much better than some of our bordering states with 18.8% in mediocre to poor condition. Iowa, Indiana ,Missouri and Wisconsin are all doing worse with 20%, 22%, 24 and 42% respectively. At least Indiana from what I have seen recently is working at it while WI still has done nothing with WIS32 through Pleasant Prairie and Kenosha and US12 through Walworth County.

Revive 755

Quote from: Crash_It on July 14, 2018, 11:29:42 PM
Here are some state roads that I regularly drive in Lake County on that are going to need a reconstruction (and scheduled as so) in the next couple years.

IL173 from IL137 to US41 (especially the portion through Zion, IDOT has it listed as accruing).
IL137 from the Amstutz Expy (possibly the worst stretch in D1, IDOT backlog) to just south of 14th St in North Chicago.

I don't recall this stretch of IL 60 being in that bad of shape.  Plus the concrete on that stretch has a unique sound I'd hate to see go.

Crash_It

Quote from: Revive 755 on July 15, 2018, 12:35:19 PM

I don't recall this stretch of IL 60 being in that bad of shape.  Plus the concrete on that stretch has a unique sound I'd hate to see go.

I don't consider it bad either but I guess IDOT does, I do see it cracking and vegetation growing in the cracks in a couple of spots though.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Crash_It on July 15, 2018, 02:04:05 PM

I don't consider it bad either but I guess IDOT does, I do see it cracking and vegetation growing in the cracks in a couple of spots though.

I can easily think of much bigger priorities in Lake County alone, not to mention statewide. I sometimes wonder how IDOT determines some of these list items.

Crash_It

Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 15, 2018, 08:43:34 PM

I can easily think of much bigger priorities in Lake County alone, not to mention statewide. I sometimes wonder how IDOT determines some of these list items.

By the AADT and how long each have been backlogged (if such is the case).

ChiMilNet

Quote from: Crash_It on July 15, 2018, 09:05:36 PM

Well, I could see that in theory, but I see some roads with seemingly less traffic get much more attention than others that are clogged. I am sure that there are numerous metrics behind it, but still, it does make me wonder.

edwaleni

Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 15, 2018, 10:42:43 PM

Well, I could see that in theory, but I see some roads with seemingly less traffic get much more attention than others that are clogged. I am sure that there are numerous metrics behind it, but still, it does make me wonder.

I have seen political priorities over rule metrics in many cases. Sometimes to the detriment of the drivers.

adt1982

It isn't much, but I have now clinched US 36 and I-72 in Illinois.

Other clinched routes in Illinois include, off the top of my head, US 40, I-24, I-39, I-55, I-70, I-74, I-80, IL 1, IL 16, IL 33, IL 35, IL 49, IL 130, IL 133, IL 142, and IL 185.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: edwaleni on July 17, 2018, 12:49:50 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on July 15, 2018, 10:42:43 PM

I have seen political priorities over rule metrics in many cases. Sometimes to the detriment of the drivers.

I would say often to the detriment of the drivers. I-80, for instance, in most places (except the tollway portion) serves as exhibit A.

inkyatari

Heavy equipment is just starting to be rolled out to the I-55 / Weber Rd. area.  Since I drive through and use that exit almost every weekday, I'm hoping to get pix of construction as it happens.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

Crash_It

Quote from: adt1982 on July 17, 2018, 04:01:37 PM

Other clinched routes in Illinois include, off the top of my head, US 40, I-24, I-39, I-55, I-70, I-74, I-80, IL 1, IL 16, IL 33, IL 35, IL 49, IL 130, IL 133, IL 142, and IL 185.

IL1 spans nearly the whole length of the state, how long did it take you to do that?

adt1982

Quote from: Crash_It on July 20, 2018, 10:32:40 PM
Quote from: adt1982 on July 17, 2018, 04:01:37 PM

IL1 spans nearly the whole length of the state, how long did it take you to do that?

It didn't take long.  I lived in Marshall, which is pretty close to the midpoint, for 24 years.  I've driven it Marshall to Chicago several times and to Cave-in-Rock and back a couple times.

How is the Illinois 1 drive to Chicago. It was once a supplemental freeway corridor but early on the Feds punted out US 41 is so close.

adt1982

Quote from: 3467 on July 24, 2018, 07:21:46 PM
How is the Illinois 1 drive to Chicago. It was once a supplemental freeway corridor but early on the Feds punted out US 41 is so close.

I haven't driven it in probably 13 years or so.  It's an easy, quiet drive without much traffic.  Danville is the only real issue outside of the south suburbs.

ilpt4u

Quote from: adt1982 on July 24, 2018, 08:02:04 PM

I haven't driven it in probably 13 years or so.  It's an easy, quiet drive without much traffic.  Danville is the only real issue outside of the south suburbs.
I've driven it multiple times between Danville and IL 394 - very easy drive, usually fast and not too crowded. Also have taken it South out of Danville, down to Terre Haute (via the US 150 multiplex that ends in Paris, IL)

I've been on it in parts of SoIL too, but probably have about 1/3 of the route unclinched, from Paris to I-64, and from Norris City to the Cave-In-Rock Ferry

Historically speaking, IL 1 from Chicago to Danville was the Dixie Highway, correct?

edwaleni

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 24, 2018, 09:39:09 PM

I've driven it multiple times between Danville and IL 394 - very easy drive, usually fast and not too crowded. Also have taken it South out of Danville, down to Terre Haute (via the US 150 multiplex that ends in Paris, IL)

I've been on it in parts of SoIL too, but probably have about 1/3 of the route unclinched, from Paris to I-64, and from Norris City to the Cave-In-Rock Ferry

Historically speaking, IL 1 from Chicago to Danville was the Dixie Highway, correct?

ilpt4u

Thats one way to confirm!

Nice map of the Old Dixie Highway, as well!

csw

I've got IL 1 clinched from Danville to Cave-In-Rock. That section has pretty light traffic and isn't too slow for a 2-lane 55mph speed limit highway. Hopping on US 45 just south of Norris City was my preferred way to get to the Shawnee National Forest from Mt Carmel.

Brandon

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 24, 2018, 09:39:09 PM

Part of it.  Up nearer Chicago, in the south suburbs, Dixie Highway is completely separate from IL-1 which runs along Halsted.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Henry

Funny that the Dixie Highway is actually a series of highways linking the Midwest to the Southeast, instead of one single route (I used to think US 25 was the only one, as I would remember it from road trips that took me through Cincinnati).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

edwaleni

Quote from: Henry on July 25, 2018, 09:24:52 AM
Funny that the Dixie Highway is actually a series of highways linking the Midwest to the Southeast, instead of one single route (I used to think US 25 was the only one, as I would remember it from road trips that took me through Cincinnati).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Highway

adt1982

Quote from: Lyon Wonder on September 04, 2017, 04:12:10 PM
A viaduct over US 40 east of Martinsville has enough room to add 2 additional lanes for US 40.
My guess is this viaduct was built in the 1950s when Illinois originally intended to convert US 40 into a 4 lane expressway from the St Louis area to the Indiana state line.  Of course turning US 40 into an expressway fell by the wayside with the Interstate highway act in 1956 and funding to build I-70.
https://goo.gl/maps/8739NYv1TvJ2

The bypasses of Marshall, Martinsville, and Casey were built in 1953, so that does fit the timeline.

Georgia

The only times Route 1 south of Chicago are busy are in the spring/fall during planting/harvesting season.  I've been stuck behind more tractors than i care to remember going 20-25.

ET21

Quote from: Georgia on July 30, 2018, 04:39:39 PM
The only times Route 1 south of Chicago are busy are in the spring/fall during planting/harvesting season.  I've been stuck behind more tractors than i care to remember going 20-25.

Oh yeah, I can remember midterms at NIU being the peak of tractors on local roadways. I've been stuck a couple times behind them on IL-38, IL-23, and IL-72 during the fall
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.