"Best Looking" Freeway System

Started by Voyager, January 20, 2009, 12:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voyager

Something that I've always looked at in cities is how their freeway systems look in terms of aesthetics. For example, I love the freeway layout of Greenville, SC:

Also, one of my favorites is based off of Seattle, WA.

Anyone have any that they find to be "good looking"?

Oh, and Las Vegas is another city whose freeway system I like.

Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

deathtopumpkins

I must say Hampton Road's is pretty aesthetically pleasing. It's a pear-shaped loop (the Beltway) with some lines across it and radiating outward...
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Alex

Voyager

Yeah, I love that one as well for sure. San Diego has a very nice one, I forgot about that.

Darkchylde

As for places I've been, I'd have to say Atlanta, Dallas-Fort Worth and Shreveport.

Alex

I don't know what constitutes "best looking", but my favorite freeway system to delve into is Los Angeles'.

Voyager

Pittsburgh is a nice one too, especially the way the freeways are laid out around downtown. Gets kinda sprawly outside of that though.

Voyager

Quote from: aaroads on January 20, 2009, 12:17:38 AM
I don't know what constitutes "best looking", but my favorite freeway system to delve into is Los Angeles'.

Most pleasing to the eye on a map, I suppose.

Alex

Voyager

Hartfords is odd, but definitely neat.

Voyager

I also really like Knoxville's freeway layout.

agentsteel53

the thing that gets me about Knoxville is why 75 was routed the way it was.  I'd have brought it down 275 and began the multiplex with 40 earlier, leaving 640 alone.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

rawr apples

I've always been fond of Portlands

Now shut up and drivee

Voyager

The way 205 is routed just makes Portland look strange. Without it, then I think Portland would be one of my favorites.

Alex

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 20, 2009, 12:32:10 AM
the thing that gets me about Knoxville is why 75 was routed the way it was.  I'd have brought it down 275 and began the multiplex with 40 earlier, leaving 640 alone.

Thats how it was originally laid out, but they moved it in the 1970s IIRC. FWIW they modified most of the full-cloverleaf interchanges on Interstate 275 in recent years to reduce weaving traffic movements. If you look on aerials, every interchange was a full-cloverleaf originally.

Chris

Houston, a classical radial system. Also reminds me of the Madrid Autopista system :)

Scott5114

I like how Oklahoma City's is laid out. Can't find a decent map of it though.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Voyager

Topeka, KS has a neat little freeway system.

Freewayjim

I'd go with Houston, Atlanta & DFW.

If I-83 & I-70 had been completed Baltimore would rate very high  IMO.
Check out my highway videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/Freewayjim

njroadhorse

I like Philly's, Boston's, and Jacksonville's now that the 9A is complete
NJ Roads FTW!
Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 30, 2009, 04:04:11 PM
I-99... the Glen Quagmire of interstate routes??

travelinmiles

No system is perfect, but I like Houston's. The Bay Area isn't so bad either, I think San Antonio's is nice as well, (minus 1604). I think many systems in the north east could be not necessarily expanded but modernized.

Voyager

Seattle's is also fairly appealing to the eye, especially with the way 90 and 520 cross the lake.

Alex

Quote from: njroadhorse on January 24, 2009, 09:51:25 AM
I like Philly's, Boston's, and Jacksonville's now that the 9A is complete

Philadelphia's is missing several components, such as Interstate 695, Woodaven Road's extension, the freeway leading northwest from the Betsy Ross Bridge, etc. etc. Think of how bad the traffic problems on the Surekill Expressway, and there is no room to expand that unfortunately.

SSOWorld

Not to mention the "Surface portion" of I-676 to the Ben Franklyn Bridge
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ComputerGuy

Quote from: voyager on January 27, 2009, 01:06:13 PM
Seattle's is also fairly appealing to the eye, especially with the way 90 and 520 cross the lake.

I know! They also tried to get a third bridge, from Renton to Mercer Island and then Mercer Island to Medina (home of Bill Gates).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.