News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Aging road signs

Started by Billy F 1988, December 26, 2012, 12:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Billy F 1988

They're not necessarily damaged road signs like those in the Damaged road signs thread. If you have pictures of road signs, whether they be US shields, Interstate shields, BGSes, or any road sign thereof showing signs of aging, show them here.

For starters, this is a closeup shot of this US 89 shield in downtown Gardiner, MT where I stayed for Christmas. Look at how the "8" is just bound to peel off. Poor little 8. The 9 isn't that bad. (This one, btw, is along Scott Street, the main drag of US 89 leading up to the Roosevelt Arch and the gate entry through Yellowstone Park on the Gardiner-Cook City road.)
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alps

vdeane

There was a junction US 11 sign that was peeling, though it got replaced before I was able to get a picture.  There's a zillion on NY 260 though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

agentsteel53

this is the oldest 11 I've got offhand. the gantry also includes a rare 20" Thruway shield.

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Billy F 1988

Must be 1940's or earlier due to that much rust on the thruway shield and directional plate.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Ian

Old US 9 shield in Albany.

Old NY 5 shield and a train station sign in Schenectady.

I photographed all three of those signs three years ago, so I have no idea if any of them still exist or not.
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

Brandon

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 26, 2012, 05:01:40 PM
Must be 1940's or earlier due to that much rust on the thruway shield and directional plate.

Can't be.  The Thruway opened in 1954.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

US71

Peculiar, MO 2008

Ashdown, AR 2004 (no longer there)

Fort Gibson, OK

Lexington, MO 2004

Berryville, AR 2003 (no longer exists)

Blue Eye, MO 2004 (the MO 86 dates back to the 1960's, I think)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Billy F 1988

Quote from: Brandon on December 26, 2012, 05:39:50 PM

I just wasn't sure how far the signs dated back at first. All I knew was that it had to have been that far back in time to show that much rust and colorfade today.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 26, 2012, 09:17:12 PM
Quote from: Brandon on December 26, 2012, 05:39:50 PM

I just wasn't sure how far the signs dated back at first. All I knew was that it had to have been that far back in time to show that much rust and colorfade today.

Right.  Except not.

bugo

agentsteel53

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 26, 2012, 09:17:12 PM

probably 54-64 or so.  I don't know for sure if the Thruway followed NY state MUTCD requirements, but I know that the 1964 New York MUTCD got rid of all shields smaller than 24 inches.  they hadn't been made since 1955, but there were stragglers getting renovated, including one example I know of a 1926-31 style embossed cutout with a 1962 (!) issue stamp on the back.

jake@aaroads.com

Billy F 1988

(from the AARoads Montana shield gallery)

This is nearly 60 years of age. At one point, from the abandoned brackets below the I-90 Business shield, this DID have a US 10 shield, a US 12 shield, a US 93 shield, and/or a Montana 200 shield. This one dates back to '58 especially with the white "EAST" cardinal plate instead of the now-standard green plates for Interstate Business routes. As far as I know, that assembly with the missing US 10, 12, 93 and/or MT 200 shields is still there since Chris Kalina last photographed this one in 2006.

agentsteel53

this is a fun one

they tried to "retrofit" a 1961-spec state named shield to just black-border-and-number style, but neglected to note that the reflective sheeting was a lot less faded underneath the peeled-off sections.

jake@aaroads.com

Central Avenue

Routewitches. These children of the moving road gather strength from travel . . . Rather than controlling the road, routewitches choose to work with it, borrowing its strength and using it to make bargains with entities both living and dead. -- Seanan McGuire, Sparrow Hill Road

ctsignguy

Some signs that aged gracefully.....

And a couple that didnt.....

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Brandon

Quote from: ctsignguy on December 28, 2012, 08:33:27 AM

This is a style I'd like to see make a comeback.  Plain, simple, a cutout, and rather nice looking, IMHO.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Quillz

Do any specs exist on that style of Ohio US route shield? I really like the looks of it but have never been able to replicate it.

Billy F 1988

My guess is just as good as anyone else's. My guess is that it's a 24x24 '61 series cutout.

The I-70, US 151 and Tennessee triangle signs are one of my favorites.

ctsignguy

Quote from: hbelkins on December 28, 2012, 12:08:44 PM
Did that US 33 cutout, perchance, come off the old Ohio River bridge?

http://www.millenniumhwy.net/NW_WV_July_2002/NW_WV_July_2002-Pages/Image8.html

Yes it did.....i made arrangements with the contractor who was putting up the new bridge to collect the old 33 when they took it off the old bridge prior to its demolition.  Took about two years of gentle prodding and reminders, but it paid off with the whole assembly, not just the 33 shield
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

brownpelican

Billy F 1988

Uber-aged US 10 shield painted on the old Milwaukee Road trestle that crossed over Old US 10 (present day Nine Mile Road).

There's the bridge I'm talking about. The US 10 shield is on the right.

This sign plate dates back to the very late 60's to mid 70's when US 10 was still in commission. The underpass in Frenchtown is named after Henry Lavoie, thus "LAVOIE UNDERPASS". Much of the "UNDERPASS" lettering has fallen off over time, and parts of the border have fallen off, too.

NE2

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 30, 2012, 05:05:19 AM

This sign plate dates back to the very late 60's to mid 70's when US 10 was still in commission. The underpass in Frenchtown is named after Henry Lavoie, thus "LAVOIE UNDERPASS". Much of the "UNDERPASS" lettering has fallen off over time, and parts of the border have fallen off, too.
Is it just me, or did someone modify this to say UNDERPANTS?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.