News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Urban development and CA High Speed Rail -> further cuts to I-280 San Francisco?

Started by citrus, January 11, 2013, 02:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparker

Quote from: myosh_tino on July 06, 2018, 08:16:16 PM
From what I have read, the underground portion of the BART line isn't a single track but rather a single tunnel with two levels, each containing a single track.  Downtown San Jose businesses favored this type of tunnel because it eliminates the need to use the cut-and-cover method of construction.  The tunnel would be bored with minimal disruption at the surface.

Now that makes more sense than the configuration that I originally heard (thanks for the partial info, Murky News! :eyebrow:) and talked about.  I suppose with the advances in boring equipment any arrangement, even such an over/under configuration, has become possible.  Even the upper level will have to be quite deep; much of downtown's been dotted with projects to upgrade utilities just below the surface over the last few years; BART will certainly have to duck under those facilities.  It'll be interesting to see how they deal with both Coyote Creek and the Guadalupe River en route to, respectively, downtown/SJSU and Santa Clara; their previous encounter with a significant floodplain on this line was with Alameda Creek in Union City, which they crossed on a viaduct.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.