News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 56 in Missouri

Started by SD Mapman, October 31, 2016, 09:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD Mapman

So I found an online MoDOT route log (here: http://www6.modot.mo.gov/hpmaps) and was browsing it for fun (cause why not?). I noticed that, at least according to this log, US 56 does not exist. So, does that mean the strange convoluted portion is city-maintained? Does that explain the unusual routing and squashed signs? Anyone else have any ideas?
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

route56

This is the first I've heard this.  I think the only reason for the signage is the fact that Shawnee Mission Parkway east of I-35 is KDOT maintained. If Kansas could get Mission Woods to take the section between Rainbow and State Line (maybe 2-3 blocks in length), 56 could be truncated back to Gardner....
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

SD Mapman

Quote from: route56 on October 31, 2016, 11:21:59 PM
This is the first I've heard this.
I mean, I'm just theorizing here... not really sure why it's not on the route log if it's still signed.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Alex

Just drove it yesterday from US 71 (Bruce Watkins Drive) west to The Paseo. The first westbound shield (an ugly one, likely a city install) is posted just after The Paseo. An older end shield is posted ahead of the interchange with US 71 on Swope Parkway eastbound. There is a button copy sign on US 71 north at the off-ramp for US 56, and a shield referencing it at the ramp intersection with Swope Parkway as well. No signage on Swope Parkway westbound leading into Bruce Watkins Drive otherwise.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: route56 on October 31, 2016, 11:21:59 PM
This is the first I've heard this.  I think the only reason for the signage is the fact that Shawnee Mission Parkway east of I-35 is KDOT maintained. If Kansas could get Mission Woods to take the section between Rainbow and State Line (maybe 2-3 blocks in length), 56 could be truncated back to Gardner....

I don't think it should be truncated.  It's useful to have a state highway connecting I-35 the Country Club Plaza area.  If anything, I think the portion in Missouri should be re-routed to follow Ward Parkway all the way to Volker Boulevard, and the signage should be greatly improved.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Alex

Sent Dale a few photos of the east end of U.S. 56 from Thursday. They are posted at http://usends.weebly.com/56.html

US71

Quote from: Alex on November 07, 2016, 07:55:11 AM
Sent Dale a few photos of the east end of U.S. 56 from Thursday. They are posted at http://usends.weebly.com/56.html
Are they still using repainted No Parking signs ?
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.