News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Virginia secondary routes in the independent city of Suffolk

Started by WillWeaverRVA, November 25, 2009, 12:32:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillWeaverRVA

moved from the Erroneous Signs thread, to focus on the topic of VA state routes in independent cities

Technically this is a double error: if SRs still existed in Virginia Beach, this would be SR 615, not VA 615. But since SR's do not exist in Virginia Beach or any other independent city not named Suffolk, there's no numbered route - primary or secondary - heading left (east) from the upcoming intersection (General Booth Blvd & Princess Anne Rd, which involves VA 149 and VA 165).

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: froggie on November 26, 2009, 12:11:50 PM
QuoteBut since SR's do not exist in Virginia Beach or any other independent city not named Suffolk

...any other independent city, period.  Suffolk's SR's officially went bye-bye when they took over maintenance from VDOT a couple years ago.

I guess I'll have to go down to Suffolk sometime to see if there are any SR signs left, then.
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

74/171FAN

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on November 26, 2009, 01:01:05 PM
QuoteBut since SR's do not exist in Virginia Beach or any other independent city not named Suffolk

...any other independent city, period.  Suffolk's SR's officially went bye-bye when they took over maintenance from VDOT a couple years ago.

I guess I'll have to go down to Suffolk sometime to see if there are any SR signs left, then.
As of March 21, I know some are left along US 460 west of the Suffolk Bypass and on the Suffolk Bypass at the Wilroy Rd(SR 642) interchange and probably at the Pitchkettle Rd(SR 604) interchange as well.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

deathtopumpkins

SR signs are still fairly common from what I've seen. Many BGS's along I-664 even still show the shields, as do those along the Suffolk Bypass.

And Virginia (at least in Hampton Roads) uses "End Construction" signs as the standard marker for the end of a work zone.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

74/171FAN

Quote from: deathtopumpkins on November 27, 2009, 11:43:05 PM
And Virginia (at least in Hampton Roads) uses "End Construction" signs as the standard marker for the end of a work zone.
From what I've seen they're throughout Virginia but I still haven't been to most of the south and west portions yet.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alex

Can you guys elaborate on that in a new thread under the Mid-Atlantic section?

74/171FAN

Quote from: AARoads on November 28, 2009, 11:00:35 AM

I don't mind that but did you want to move the posts on it from here to the new thread?

agentsteel53

that's not a bad idea.  I moved the pertinent sub-thread. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

WillWeaverRVA

Did my homework this time. When Nansemond County (and the city which it became in 1972) and Suffolk merged in 1974, VDOT continued to maintain all the non-interstate routes within the city limits. VDOT relinquished those routes in 2006, and therefore there are no longer any SRs within the city limits (and I presume US and VA primary routes are also under Suffolk Public Works' jurisdiction now).

I haven't been to Suffolk in a while so I'm not sure how many routes are still signed. It's interesting to note that VDOT still uses the SR numbers in its 2008 traffic counts, though all the numbers are gone from the online transportation information map.
Will Weaver

Alex

Quote from: SyntheticDreamer on November 29, 2009, 05:04:57 PM

Did my homework this time. When Nansemond County (and the city which it became in 1972) and Suffolk merged in 1974, VDOT continued to maintain all the non-interstate routes within the city limits. VDOT relinquished those routes in 2006, and therefore there are no longer any SRs within the city limits (and I presume US and VA primary routes are also under Suffolk Public Works' jurisdiction now).

I haven't been to Suffolk in a while so I'm not sure how many routes are still signed. It's interesting to note that VDOT still uses the SR numbers in its 2008 traffic counts, though all the numbers are gone from the online transportation information map.

So that means that Virginia 165, Virginia 168 Business, Virginia 246, Virginia 166, etc. are now just local roads. So when I look at the current Virginia state highway map (as I am doing right now), I should envision the Tidewater inset devoid of state route shields outside of perhaps Virginia 168?

WillWeaverRVA

No, the primary state highways still exist, they're just primarily maintained by the cities and not by VDOT. There just aren't any secondary routes anymore.
Will Weaver

froggie

Primary routes within independent cities still exist.  But they are maintained by the city in question instead of by VDOT.  As a general rule, within independent cities VDOT only maintains the Interstates.

topay

Quote from: froggie on November 30, 2009, 10:03:22 PM
Primary routes within independent cities still exist.  But they are maintained by the city in question instead of by VDOT.  As a general rule, within independent cities VDOT only maintains the Interstates.

Exactly.  I don't know the exact formula and other factors involved, but I do know that VDOT considers primary mileage within each city to determine how much Local Assistance (formerly known as "Urban") funding to give the cities.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.