News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARMOURERERIC

Quote from: Strider on October 30, 2017, 02:10:24 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 19, 2017, 12:46:53 PM
Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on October 11, 2017, 08:24:22 AM
There will be a public hearing next Monday night in Morganton to discuss improvements to I-40, exit 103 for US 64.  I would call this as currently the worst traffic mess in the area.  The East half of the bridge over 40 is original from the late 1950's.  A large amount of the traffic approaching the interchange want to go left.  Way more capacity is needed for US 64 WB going left to 40 EB due to the nearby community college and the huge shipping facility on  Fleming Dr.  I could almost see a diverging down and or SPUI needed here.  They are contemplating business demolition and access control on 64.

I could not make the meeting but the images are available on line.  It will be an SPUI.  A new 8 Lane bridge will be built immediately West of the existing 1957 bridge.  All Lefts will be 2 lanes except 40w to 64 w, which will be a triple left.  The cost will be $45m, of which $18m is ROW.  It looks like everything on the west side of Burkemont from the he signal at Lowe's to just short of the Cook Out is being razed, even a small national chain hotel.  There will be auxillary clanes added to 40 between Enola Rd and 64.  The 64 overpass will allow an 8 Lane 40 underneath.  They had 2006 ADT numbers and it was around 56000 for 40 and 44000 for 64, and trucks were 20% on 64.

So, they are eventually going to widen I-40 to 6-8 lanes in the future. Is it going to be in Morganton area, or is it all the way to Statesville?

From my research, it appears that the newest STIP has I-40 going to 8 lanes from Exit 123 to 126 (US 321 to McDade Blvd in Hickory) and from there, 6 lanes to I-77 in Statesville.  I would advocate going 6 lanes west to exit 119, it is needed, and no bridges would need to be replaced.  Also on the rada screen is the US 321 upgrade from US 70 to Granite Falls.

Mapmikey

GMSV from Dec 2016 shows US 158 posted on US 29 Bypass in Reidville in at least two places and there were covered BGSs that may also have 158 shields.

Here is a Nov 2016 GMSV shot of them literally putting up the US 158 posting on NC 87 leaving US 29 Business: https://goo.gl/maps/8ookkxg8apP2

So the US 158 reroute is finally completed...

LM117

NCDOT has awarded a contract to improve the surface of a 16-mile stretch of I-40 in Johnston County.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14556

QuoteA 16-mile swath of Interstate 40 in Johnston County will become smoother soon.

Penhall Co. of Los Angeles recently received a nearly $10.2 million contract from the N.C. Department of Transportation to improve the surface of I-40 between Exit 313 near N.C. 42 and just past the I-40/I-95 interchange in Benson.

Workers will use a cost-effective process known as diamond grinding to smooth out the existing concrete surface of the lanes, and they will repair any cracks and potholes with concrete. Additionally, they will resurface the asphalt on the I-40 ramps at N.C. 210.

The work will occur outside of the morning and evening commutes on I-40, and work will not be done during busier travel times on the weekends. All of the work on the ramps and loops at the I-40 and I-95 interchange will be done at night.

The project also includes rehabilitating several I-40 overpasses: The decks on 10 bridges will be replaced with a more durable concrete material that reduces long-term maintenance costs, and four bridges will be sandblasted and get fresh coats of paint. Some of the bridges' substructure will be repaired.

The contractor may begin work after Nov. 27, and has until July 1, 2019 to complete the project.

This is one of six road and bridge contracts recently awarded by the department. They were worth about $38.8 million, which was about $1.2 million under engineer estimates.

For real-time travel information, go to DriveNC.gov, or follow NCDOT on Twitter.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: Mapmikey on November 02, 2017, 08:13:40 AM
Here is a Nov 2016 GMSV shot of them literally putting up the US 158 posting on NC 87 leaving US 29 Business: https://goo.gl/maps/8ookkxg8apP2

That might just be one of the coolest things, roadgeek wise, that I've ever seen on GSV.

Roadsguy

So this reroute put US around the opposite side of Reidsville, along NC 87 and US 29? And what was the remaining piece on the north side of town changed to? NC 14 extension or unnumbered?
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Roadsguy on November 02, 2017, 04:13:36 PM
So this reroute put US around the opposite side of Reidsville, along NC 87 and US 29? And what was the remaining piece on the north side of town changed to? NC 14 extension or unnumbered?

It was already NC 14 which was cosigned with US 158 to US 29.

Strider

Quote from: Mapmikey on November 02, 2017, 04:28:14 PM

Yes, that is correct. US 158 is already rerouted to follow US 29 (future I-785) for 2-3 miles.

Roadsguy

Quote from: Strider on November 02, 2017, 07:03:16 PM

Yes, that is correct. US 158 is already rerouted to follow US 29 (future I-785) for 2-3 miles.

Was Strategic Highway Corridor 37 changed as well? I'm asking so I can update OSM.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

LM117

Here's a map of a freeway beltline (dated 7-5-2017) proposed by the Greenville Urban Area MPO. The Southwest Bypass that's currently under construction would be part of it if this comes to fruition.

http://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=14981

Anybody that's ever been to Greenville (including me) knows that the city has terrible traffic with poor highway infrastructure. However, this beltline seems a bit overkill to me, particularly the southern part that stretches south of Ayden. It would make better sense to bring it between Ayden and Winterville, IMO.

Even if the rest of the beltline never gets built beyond the current SW Bypass, I'm still very much in favor of the new US-13 interchange north of Greenville.

The beltline is included in the city's list of future projects.

http://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=15030

Any thoughts? :hmm:

CanesFan27

Go south of Ayden, Greenville's growth is south - it would  be easier to get ROW access that way.

So if 11/13 becomes an interstate - good to see they will connect to 264 not at the current interchange.

RoadPelican

Unlike that other Eastern NC city "Wilmington" I am glad that Greenville has an ambitious plan to build a beltway around the city and they are trying to plan for future growth. 

Back in the early 90's, Wilmington had a opportunity to build a expressway south and east of the city it would have ran from Monkey Junction up towards the Mayfaire shopping area.  I think it was called the "Southern Outer Loop" but too much opposition from residents at the time put a halt to the project. If only those same residents would have thought things out 20-25 years later.  There is no easy way to get from Southern New Hanover County and head for points east such as Porter's Neck or Hampstead.

CanesFan27

Quote from: RoadPelican on November 10, 2017, 03:22:46 AM
Unlike that other Eastern NC city "Wilmington" I am glad that Greenville has an ambitious plan to build a beltway around the city and they are trying to plan for future growth. 

Back in the early 90's, Wilmington had a opportunity to build a expressway south and east of the city it would have ran from Monkey Junction up towards the Mayfaire shopping area.  I think it was called the "Southern Outer Loop" but too much opposition from residents at the time put a halt to the project. If only those same residents would have thought things out 20-25 years later.  There is no easy way to get from Southern New Hanover County and head for points east such as Porter's Neck or Hampstead.

The same residents are against it today - the Cape Fear Skyway is a long time off if ever. The town of Leland heavily challenged it 5-10 years ago.

froggie

There's also the matter of the Cape Fear Skyway needing to be a fairly huge bridge in terms of both height and length...not cheap.

slorydn1

Quote from: LM117 on November 09, 2017, 09:21:11 AM
Here's a map of a freeway beltline (dated 7-5-2017) proposed by the Greenville Urban Area MPO. The Southwest Bypass that's currently under construction would be part of it if this comes to fruition.

http://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=14981

Anybody that's ever been to Greenville (including me) knows that the city has terrible traffic with poor highway infrastructure. However, this beltline seems a bit overkill to me, particularly the southern part that stretches south of Ayden. It would make better sense to bring it between Ayden and Winterville, IMO.

Even if the rest of the beltline never gets built beyond the current SW Bypass, I'm still very much in favor of the new US-13 interchange north of Greenville.

The beltline is included in the city's list of future projects.

http://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=15030

Any thoughts? :hmm:

I can tell you that getting up to the hospital on Statonsburg Rd is an absolute nightmare if you're coming up from New Bern. It takes forever to work yourself over from NC-43 to that side of town.

The last time I had to go up there (my wife had an allergic reaction to peanuts while in training to be a detention officer) I decided to try the back way by heading out to Grifton and working may way north on NC-11 and although it was a smoother ride traffic wise it still took forever and a day to get there.

It looks like this proposed beltway would help out a great deal with that kind of movement. I won't hold my breath waiting for it to get built, though.

Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

LM117

Quote from: CanesFan27 on November 09, 2017, 12:21:51 PM
Go south of Ayden, Greenville's growth is south - it would  be easier to get ROW access that way.

So if 11/13 becomes an interstate - good to see they will connect to 264 not at the current interchange.

Yeah, that's why I'm in favor of the new US-13 interchange since the existing one would be impossible to upgrade thanks to the railroad and Patheon. Upgrading NC-11 between the future interchange with the future Harvey Parkway extension in Kinston and Ayden has already been included in the STIP and as far as I know, Kinston and Greenville are still very much in support of the Kinston-Bethel interstate. I think it's very likely it will eventually become another I-x87. There hasn't been another attempt to get the Eastern NC Gateway Act through Congress after the useless attempt last year before the elections, but I wouldn't put it past them to try again in the not-too-far future.

As for the rest of the proposed beltline, I could easily see it becoming another I-x87. However, I think the new northern connection to US-13 and the southeast section are the most important right now. I don't think there's an urgent need for the northeast section at the moment.

Beltway

Quote from: RoadPelican on November 10, 2017, 03:22:46 AM

Where would you build a freeway loop south and east of Wilmington?  Satellite images show that any possible freeway alignment would involve massive right-of-way takings of residences, and some would be right up near the coastline.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Avalanchez71

What was wrong with the northern route?  Heck what is wrong with the through route?  Would it not be faster now just to use the old old route?

Mapmikey

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on November 10, 2017, 09:38:44 PM

What was wrong with the northern route?  Heck what is wrong with the through route?  Would it not be faster now just to use the old old route?

Here is the official reason behind it...be sure to look through the whole document

https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Route%20Changes/Proposed/Correspondence%20100309%20Almond%20to%20Conti.pdf

RoadPelican

Where would you build a freeway loop south and east of Wilmington?  Satellite images show that any possible freeway alignment would involve massive right-of-way takings of residences, and some would be right up near the coastline.
[/quote]

It would be cost prohibitive to build today because of all the taking of residences, but 20-25 years Southern New Hanover County and Monkey Junction was a lot less developed.

wdcrft63

NCDOT is opening a new interchange on NC 87 at US 701 in Elizabethtown:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14599

There's no danger of NC 87 becoming a freeway, but it was identified in 2013 as a Strategic Transportation Corridor between Fayetteville and Wilmington, giving improvements to the road  at least some priority.

slorydn1

I just wanted to let y'all know that the interchange at US-17 and US-17 Business near the Jones/Craven County line is coming along quite well. I still have to get my picture storage situation straightened out (like many I got bit by the Photbucket BS and I have been too busy/lazy to set up a Flickr account) but I will be on vacation from Wednesday morning to the following Wednesday night so I should be able to get some decent pictures for ya.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

LM117

Quote from: wdcrft63 on November 20, 2017, 06:49:44 PM
NCDOT is opening a new interchange on NC 87 at US 701 in Elizabethtown:
https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14599

There's no danger of NC 87 becoming a freeway, but it was identified in 2013 as a Strategic Transportation Corridor between Fayetteville and Wilmington, giving improvements to the road  at least some priority.

I passed through there last month on my way to visit my cousin in Clarkton and I figured by the looks of it that it would be opening soon. I drove NC-87 from I-95 to US-701 and the highway seemed very adequate to me, minus the sections going through Tar Heel and Dublin and even then it wasn't too bad. There was also very little traffic the whole way. I've never driven NC-87 beyond Elizabethtown, so I can't speak for the rest of the corridor.

I will say that NC-87 is one of THE most boring ass drives I've ever done. It seemed to go on forever in the middle of absolutely nowhere. :ded:

froggie

^ You haven't been on US 264 in Hyde or Dare Counties (or on NC 94), have you?

Regarding the new interchange, looks like NC 242 got slightly realigned as well.

LM117

Quote from: froggie on November 21, 2017, 07:45:41 AM
^ You haven't been on US 264 in Hyde or Dare Counties (or on NC 94), have you?

Nope, I can't say that I have. The easternmost point on US-264 I've ever been was Washington and that was nearly 20 years ago. Since then, it's just been between Raleigh and Greenville.

But I certainly don't doubt the point you're making.

RoadPelican

NC 87 is pretty boring and the 55 MPH Speed Limit sure doesn't help either, but I actually think US 74 from I-95 to Wilmington is worst,
at least on NC 87 you see a lot of fields and trees.  On US 74 it's just trees.

NC 87 is just a lonely 2 lane road from south of Elizabethtown to US 74/76.  The NCDOT was going to widen the whole 30 mile stretch but in the latest STIP report that has changed, now only a 6 mile section from NC 11 to US 74/76 is slated to be widened.  Construction won't begin until 2027 though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.